Sign in to follow this  

I got my 2009 YZ250F!

The night before my first ride, I decided to install some basics on my 2009 YZ250F.

First, the bog-b-gone kit:

Bog%20B%20Gone%20Kit.JPG

Then I bought a WR250F fuel petcock to replace the stock YZ one; I wanted to replace it before I put any gas in it. The WR version has a "reserve" switch, which I had found to be a handy addition to my 2006 YZ250F.

Fuel%20Switch%20Comparisons.JPG

stock

Stock%20Fuel%20Switch.JPG

WR version

WR%20Fuel%20Switch.JPG

For 2006 + YZ250Fs, you need a WR petcock from 2007 and newer. If your YZ250F is from 2005 or older, you need a petcock from a 2006 or older WR (because they changed the direction the fuel comes out on the aluminum frames).

It went smooth and easy. You can see here, it's easy to take off the old one (just two phillips-head screws).

Fuel%20Switch%20Easy%20To%20Replace.JPG

and here it is installed; it worked, I rode with it installed.

WR%20Fuel%20Switch%20Installed.JPG

My first ride on my 2009 YZ250F was... interesting. I made it 1.5 sessions at Elko before throwing it down; hard.

In my first session, I was only going to do a lap, then come in and change clickers. I ended up doing several laps, then coming in a little early out of being worn out. I adjusted the clickers a little; and chatted with some guys pitted next to me and some friends further down from me.

The next session... I was pure stupid. My confidence was getting up there, the bike was working awesome. It just felt so light in the air and everywhere, really. It handled very well. I was on soft dirt that developed ruts pretty quickly. I had a crowd of guys that I was one-by-one making it by; but it took time to get each one, and I got dumb, I let myself get frustrated and acted out of emotion, not out of thinking. I tried to make a move that was too hasty, and got cross-rutted on the way up the jump. Filled with confidence, I stayed on the gas; and got turned completely sideways in mid-air as I left the jump cross-rutted. The kind of sideways that I'm just not going to recover from. I haven't been on a bike in over a month; "back then" I used to ride calmer and make more experienced decisions. Today I rode like a stupid squid and didn't know when to back off and fight back later. I pushed a move that I shouldn't have.

Anyways, yes, yowch. Big highside down the landing, somewhere in the flipping I felt my bike hit me; then we went our separate ways, flipping in our own directions. Then it lay on its side revving while I tried to get up and run to it as quickly as I could. I was kind of amazed that I was walking away from that one; I was sure that was going to be a trip to the hospital; I was going fast enough to be worried for sure. I ended up with "road-rash like product" on my right shoulder, my left ankle is sore, and my left hip/butt is very sore. After the pain died down a little, I was able to localize it more to my outside hip bone. It's a little poofy. I figured the best thing was to move around, so I went grocery shopping and got some good munchies. I felt better afterwards, but still sore.

The bike was working well. The jetting was OK, but could be better, I have some ideas. The suspension I also have some ideas. Little by little we'll bring her around, but she's a little bit wild and untamed right now! It's like a horse; we need to understand each other, and right now she bucked me off and kicked me in the tush. My last bike, a 2006 YZ250F, was so dialed. The suspension was revalved, the jetting was near perfect. I want to just play with the clickers with this bike first before I spend any more money; I have a lot of payments to make still!

I think I bent the bars. Woops, that sucks. We'll check her out and see what really happened tomorrow after work or Saturday.

I give her an A+, nice bike. It was fun to ride right away, first lap.

How is the motor on the 09 compared to the 06?

My 2006 had a Wiseco lite 13.5-to-1 compression 2-ring piston, 2mm overbore, Vortex ignition, Dr. D pipe, and the jetting was verified on the dyno.

I was very happy with the 2009 power; I didn't want for more on the tight track I was on, it wheelied out of corners several times. I wish I could have taken video, but my camera broke. Really though, I think it's not fair for me to comment yet; I noticed they barely oil the air filter from the factory. I need to use my regular air filter oil and see how she acts. It was plenty fast stock. I plan to race it Sunday bone stock; I just wish I had a little more time to dial in the jetting and verify my next clicks on the suspension.

Sounds like an amazing bike man 👍 I am curious too how it comparies to the 06, because thats what I have. With the 06, I think the bottom end is kind of weak.

Pictures! That sucks that you crashed it. Doesn't sound like the bike took it too bad though.

the bars were definitely tweaked. I feel bad to have thrown her down so hard when she's brand new; that was literally the first ride.

I hope to get some pictures this weekend; I'm going to race it on Sunday. I need to do some work now to get her ready!

sounds like an awsome Bike man! Congrats! I've been looking for a YZ250F. I'm too pore to afford an 09' but Mabye and 06 or 07 now.

Why did you adjust the clickers right away? The suspension took me about an hour to break in. After its fully broken in I thought it was pretty dang good.

I just like to fool around with those things, to see if I can make the bike better. I have kindof a bad right hand, so I like to loosen up the compression a little bit, use more of the forks. If they soften up, I'll tighten up the clickers. I still haven't even checked my sag!

I think i saw you at Elko... i am 114 on a honda crf250

well, I apologize if I was riding like a jerk. I was so excited, after being off a bike so long, and then to be on a brand new one... I had major riding wood going on. It ended up biting me! 👍 Not too bad, luckily, but yowch.

I also thought that was a poor representation for the new model year bike; "hey, isn't that the new Yamah... ohhhhh, he just crashed HARD."

:worthy:

congrats 👍 !! you seem to really enjoy it. i hope the power isnt soft on the top end anymore. thats what my buddy hated about his 06, it would die off at 12k where my honda kept strong till 13.5k rpm's. but i must say that yami's always had great mid-range power.

congrats :worthy: !! you seem to really enjoy it. i hope the power isnt soft on the top end anymore. thats what my buddy hated about his 06, it would die off at 12k where my honda kept strong till 13.5k rpm's. but i must say that yami's always had great mid-range power.

👍 Soft on top:confused: The bottom is the only place it lacked power......My 06 will pull forever, just doesn't have a snappy bottom end like like the other years.

Hey,Don't feel bad I wrecked my 09 450 the day I got it out here at Perris.I had to replace the left rad. the bars and sub frame.It was funny I picked it up on a Fri. and was there sat. afternoon with this huge parts list the parts guy is like *** happened.That was an expensive crash ,thank god for support.All is well now and the new 450 is real good..

why would u put a reserve on a yz?

I did this to my 2006 YZ250F as well; I did it for trail riding, so if I ran out, I would know about it, and I could ride more mellowly towards home.

It turned out to work well for motocross practicing as well; if I rode all day, it would start to cough when it was running out. Then I could just flip a switch, and ride back to the truck. It happened one day, where I "ran out" on the far side of the track; I flipped a switch and rode back to the truck. My friend on his CRF450 kept riding, and ran out a great distance away from the truck, and had to do a lot of pushing.

Why they aren't standard is the big question; if you don't want a reserve tank, just leave it on reserve, then when you run out, you're out.

I did this to my 2006 YZ250F as well; I did it for trail riding, so if I ran out, I would know about it, and I could ride more mellowly towards home.

It turned out to work well for motocross practicing as well; if I rode all day, it would start to cough when it was running out. Then I could just flip a switch, and ride back to the truck. It happened one day, where I "ran out" on the far side of the track; I flipped a switch and rode back to the truck. My friend on his CRF450 kept riding, and ran out a great distance away from the truck, and had to do a lot of pushing.

Why they aren't standard is the big question; if you don't want a reserve tank, just leave it on reserve, then when you run out, you're out.

My DR-Z250 has a reserve tank, and I love it!!! It's the only bike i've ever had with one, but from now on all of my bikes will get a reserve petcock.👍

That's why I keep mine full by refilling it every break. I don't think I can ride hard and use an entire tank.