Sign in to follow this  

Front end push....

So I finally got to go on a long ride...:worthy: anyways, Im feeling more comfortable on my new to me '01 yz250, but I noticed that when I throw the bike into a turn, the front end really wants to wash out. I never had this feeling on my old 426... i could damn near touch the handle bar to the ground without a glitch. But I'm just getting really bad front end feel with this bike. Its kinda unnerving. I'm pretty sure its not my technique, I never had a problem on my 426.. I always sit on the tank, elbows up, etc.

Whats going on here? 👍 Im thinking its possible my shitty front tire, or my suspension setup... Anyone have an idea?

So I finally got to go on a long ride...:worthy: anyways, Im feeling more comfortable on my new to me '01 yz250, but I noticed that when I throw the bike into a turn, the front end really wants to wash out. I never had this feeling on my old 426... i could damn near touch the handle bar to the ground without a glitch. But I'm just getting really bad front end feel with this bike. Its kinda unnerving. I'm pretty sure its not my technique, I never had a problem on my 426.. I always sit on the tank, elbows up, etc.

Whats going on here? 👍 Im thinking its possible my shitty front tire, or my suspension setup... Anyone have an idea?

im guessing it could be both your front tire and suspension, try to lower your fork tubes in the triples and see if that helps what tire are you using and on what surface? and how much wear does it have?

dont do anything that aggresive yet ^... just try adjustnig clickers.. like turn the rebound down a bit and maybe the compression a bit too.. it sounds like the suspension isnt soaking up enough in the turns.

What kind of tire are you running and what was the dirt like?

Have you set your sag? Too much sag won't help the front turn. Too little sag and too much rebound in the fork will cause it to wash out.

Let's put everything in order.

1- bleed your forks

2- set your sag

3- check your tire pressure (no more than 13-14psi)

4- turn your fork rebound a few clicks out (faster)

5- turn your fork compression out a few clicks (softer)

6- slide your forks up in the triple clamps.

Do the first 3 steps at first, then the other 3 (one at a time) to fine-tune your set up.

I had the same problem and I raised the forks 5mm up in the clamps and added more compression dampening on the rear shock. Now it doesn't get squirrelly under acceleration and it turns on a dime and doesn't wash the front end out like it used to do.

Thanks for all the replies!

My forks are at the stock height, and stock rebound and dampening settings. My tire is a worn maxxis IT with about 10psi. I DID bleed my forks before the last ride actually. And I set my tire pressures at 12r/10f... riding in mixed terrain.

At this point I'm going to start off by setting my sag... I should be around 100mm right? Then I'll play with the clickers, and possibly raise the forks a bit. I'm thinking it has more to do with the suspension than anything... Just have to get it dialed in I guess. I may actually need to go with heavier springs, but the guy I bought the bike from said he had it set up for his weight (190lbs). I'm sitting at around 220.

How do I identify the spring weight thats on there?

Thanks guys!

First, ditch that tire. It sucks, especially worn out.

Ya, I know... but im poor at the moment. :worthy:

Our truck just had $1000 worth of tranny repairs, so 👍 Anyone have a good used front tire they could donate???? :busted:

Got a good used D773 here if you want it. Come and pick it up.👍

I have a tire that you could have, but it would cost to much to ship.

JK guys... Im gonna throw some new rubber on it this weekend, I just sold massive crack rock, so Im BALLIN now. 👍

I think you'll find that at your weight you really need a heavier rear spring more than anything. (If you only change the rear spring the suspension won't be balanced but it will still be better) I went to the race tech suspension web site and found the right spring weight and then found a used spring from a Honda on Ebay for $5 whcih was right. (Most Japanese springs are interchangable - check the part numbers on the race tech site) With the heavier rear spring the rear of the bike doesn't sink so much in a corner which rakes the front end out and causes it to push. It also allows you to get on the gas sooner for corner exits for the same reason.