Sign in to follow this  

XR650L Tail Light

I have a XR5650L and was starting to get tired of the stock tail light. Way to big and long. It might as well flash Student driver when you apply the brakes.

Any way I took it off and was looking for a replacement. I called the local stealerships and looked online to find a long list of overpriced plastic replacements. I looked at a couple auto parts stores and found a lot of big round bulky lights that would only look good on a trailer. Then I went to the store that is the sole reason for our bad economy yep wally world. Picked up a rectangular shaped glossy red light kit and thought that looks similar to the rectangle indention on my rear fender, so I bought it. Once home opened it up and went to see how small or to big the light would be and to see if I could live with the way it would look. To my surprise it was a tight fit I mean perfect. It would probably stay in place at 55 mph even with out any mounting hardware! So if you want to save an a$$load of dough and you have the need to replace your huge tail light on your xr650L then head over to wally world and pick up one up. Part number ( V306R ) in the auto part section of the store. The part is made in the USA>

I will post pictures tomorrow. Cheers:thumbsup:

Exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for saving me the footwork. Dam, I love this board. The CRF450 side used to be this good until everyone got to argumentative and opinionated.

Can we see some pics of it on the bike?

Thanks!👍

Can we see some pics of it on the bike?

Thanks!👍

I was just at Wally world and saw the light you're talking about. I would also like to see a pic of it on the bike before I commit.

Also, did it come with the needed bolts?

I checked one of these out tonight. Looks like a winner but what could be done about lighting the plate with this unit?

I was thinking about shining some light on the plate today as I finished wiring and soldering the connections. I think drilling a few small holes and filling them with clear two part epoxy should do the trick.

Turned out sweet, I shaved just a little bit of plastic from the corners on the inside edge of the recessed groove. The groove was just a hair more square than the inner curve of the lens cover. Nice tight fit. I trimmed the sheet metal mounting plate down to the beveled edge with my tin snips, thus allowing the mounting plate to fit snug inside the recessed area. I also trimmed off most of the reflection dish, making the light less directional. Screwed the plate to the fender and the lens to the plate. I used the stock bulb, seemed to be brighter.

I reconfigured the placement of the fender pack so that it runs length wise rather than width wise. 90 degrees from stock. All I did to accomplish this was trim the plastic mounting plate down to the holes closest to the seat, poked three new holes in the pack and screwed her down. This gave me more room for the triangular shaped clear lens turn signal indicators that I mounted to the fender just behind the seat.

I will post a link to the photos soon. Sounds like some of you already have a pretty good idea of what this looks like.

Chris

I will post a link to the photos soon. Sounds like some of you already have a pretty good idea of what this looks like.

Chris

What is your definition of "soon"?

heres the ufo taillight i used, been holding up pretty good so far, the actual tailight light (red lense) is the exact replica of that off a buell for some starnge reason...👍

taahd3.jpg

Anytime someone mentions a $6 upgrade that makes a significant change in appearance to the L, I'm game. Here's some pics of my version.

Very similar to Volumeones version but with the rubber mount left in place. The part # for the light was different also. It is a blazer B465R.

Probably changes with each walmarts geographical location.

Very happy with the looks and glad to have cleaned up the rear fender.

100_1273.jpg

100_1274.jpg

100_1275.jpg

I replaced the 1157 bulb that came with the light kit with a 2357LL for the extra 8 watts of brake light filament power. It is plenty bright now.

I never ride at night so I am not concerned about plate lighting for right now. In the event I need to get plate lighting I will either buy the gadget on this site

http://www.radiantz.com/cart/index1.html?c5.html&1 or, get a pair of LED license plate bolts that throw the light at 90 degrees when installed.

I think the regular XR600 taillight lens looks better and it fits right into the stock opening.

TailLight012.jpg

Does the xr600 taillight have a clear lens on the rear for plate illumination? I did the Wallyworld Mod and will have to cut and glue a piece of clear plastic to light up the plate.

No, it dosnt have the clear part of the lens (I think)

I've seen bolts that hold the plate down that had led's in them

I also ordered my light from Flanders along with the low-pro turn signals. It looks to be the same as the xr600 light. I'm excited to clean up the rear fender. That stocker is hideous.

I like the looks of the xr600 tail light also but I am pretty money tight right now. The $6 light was right in line with what I wanted to do and it's large enough to use the 2357 bulb which is a must for me. I'm gonna attempt to make some homemade LED plate lights this week using some threaded pipe stock and dome nuts from table lamps I have laying around. Hopefully they will look similar to these DEI lights when they're done.

ledlicenseplatebolts.jpg