Sign in to follow this  

1990 RM250 - New Carby? sorting old carby

Hi there

im looking at repalcing the carby on my 1990 RM250. Stock mikunu 38tmx has leaking choke and when leant forward 10-20 degrees leaks fuel.

Thinking of replacing it with a 38 PWK airstriker.

is this worth the money and will i notice much difference?

bike specs are below.

Riding conditions - 300 - 1000 feet generally - trail riding - tight single trail to wide open fire trials ... say average 805 humidity (south east corner of australia)

mods - completely rebuilt to to original specs, all bearings replaced, new big end, rod, piston (wiseco ist oversize), cylinder is steel sleeved, airbox top removed, boyesen rad valve, fmf expansion chamber, fmf powercore silencer, (edit) and a 10oz steahly flywheel weight

current jetting is stock

main jet - 370

needle jet - R-1

jet needle - 6AEJ1-63- 3rd clip

pilot jet - 50

float 14mm

running issue that is trying to be cured

- currently hard to start cold and leaks fuel when leant forward and to the right

thanks for your comments

cheers

dave

thanks for your thoughts.

also what are your thoughts regarding upgrading the carb to a PWK airstriker??

play riding .. yes ... woods riding ... a lot of single trail and some more wide open roads

seems very abrupt power delivery from closed throttle to about 1/4 throttle ... also would like it to idle properly

i thought that a newer carb would work better in the transition from closed to partly open throttle .. but mainly that it would be easier to set up to idle???

thanks for your responses .. much appreciated 👍