Sign in to follow this  

If no catalytic converter, is either unleaded or leaded gas better for the engine?

Hi all,

I own a Honda Astrea Supra 100cc scooter for small errands in Europe. For the longest time I have been using leaded fuel (since 1999). This summer for the first time I ran regular unleaded instead (for no real reason). I did not see any visible difference whatsoever. Note that there is no catalytic converter on the scooter from the factory.

I'd like to know if there are any benefits to running one or the other from the engines point of view; I seem to remeber an airline mechanic telling me that leaded fuel is better for the engine since it contains lubricating properties, but I can't be sure. He also told me that as long as it was still available, that I should continue to use it instead of unleaded.

Any comments welcome.

Thank you in advance,

TZ.

If... the engine is designed for unleaded, the it is a better choice. Leaded fuels can increase the amount of deposits in the engine. Lead in fuel was there to provide lubrication effect to valve seats.

If... the engine is designed for unleaded, the it is a better choice. Leaded fuels can increase the amount of deposits in the engine. Lead in fuel was there to provide lubrication effect to valve seats.

Thank you.

TZ.

i wouldnt use lead on anything newer then late 70's.

its actually ok to use zinc in your oil or gas,

they use it all the time on air cooled VW motors to lubricate and help cool the magnesium cases. a lot of hardcore vw guys use the green kendall oil its green cause it has a high zinc content. and there are several other MC oils that are green im not sure but i think they are green for a high zinc content, but maybe they just dye it:excuseme: anyone know?

I've read that using leaded fuels can cause excessive crank/bearing wear. IMO thats a stretch because if you're jetted spot on the a/f mix should be for the most part burned off completely. I can see if the bike was 2 or 3 main jets too fat and part of the a/f mix was blowing by the rings, but then it runs like crap.

👍

It'a also in there to improve the octane rating.

Leaded fuel will no cause more bearing wear and the engine will actually run cooler, whether it be four or two stroke.

The only negative to lead (other than the supposed environmental impact) is reduced spark plug life due to lead deposits, that CAN be cleaned off.

I ALWAYS run leaded fuel (either in the form of Aviation AV100LL straight or Torco 110 leaded racing fuel mixed with Shell V-Power) in ALL my off road toys be it my RM250, JetSkis, and Hydrostream boat powered by a Merc outboard. Perfectly legal here in Michigan for all marine & off-road applications. Never have melted a piston or blew up a two-stroke either....probably because i always over-octane them with leaded fuel.

Leaded fuel will no cause more bearing wear and the engine will actually run cooler, whether it be four or two stroke.

The only negative to lead (other than the supposed environmental impact) is reduced spark plug life due to lead deposits, that CAN be cleaned off.

I ALWAYS run leaded fuel (either in the form of Aviation AV100LL straight or Torco 110 leaded racing fuel mixed with Shell V-Power) in ALL my off road toys be it my RM250, JetSkis, and Hydrostream boat powered by a Merc outboard. Perfectly legal here in Michigan for all marine & off-road applications. Never have melted a piston or blew up a two-stroke either....probably because i always over-octane them with leaded fuel.

2 strokes are a different animal than the modern 4 stroke bikes too.