Sign in to follow this  

"L" guys dreaming of having an "R"

This has been brought up before and the constant denial:banghead:

The truth is there are those that say that the "L" is the only bike to own and are sitting at starbucks with all the fat office "L" owners and are realy dreaming of the day they can own a "R"! They made the mistake of riding an "R" on one of the big pigfest rides and now know the truth of what a real bike feels like! :worthy::busted:👍

Here we go again, 65 pages of one upmanship, way to go Bruce.

When photo's are posted from said fencehopper I will believe it, but I do think that it's a done deal.........

About the same weight more power, better suspension whats not to like, as long as you can get past the lack of the e-start

The truth is there are those that say that the "L" is the only bike to own and are sitting at starbucks with all the fat office "L" owners and are realy dreaming of the day they can own a "R"! They made the mistake of riding an "R" on one of the big pigfest rides and now know the truth of what a real bike feels like! :worthy::busted:👍

Lets see, if my math is close you have spent $25,000 grand on your R's & I have spent $2,000 on my used 2,000 L. I seriously doubt I could have $23,000 more fun on an R:excuseme:

Yeah, I've always dreamed about getting an "R". :busted:

I went to the dealer last week and asked to see the '08 XR650R. The guy told me that that model is no longer available. :blah: It's old technology. :D

But....but....said I, the "R" guys keep telling me how great their machines are, surely Honda wouldn't discontinue something that was so awesome? :worthy:

The guy just smiled and showed me a 450X. 👍 I said no thanks, I want something that's actually dirt worthy and street legal :doh:

Yep, those R riders are "special"...

powerband.jpg

dunkin.jpg

👍:worthy::busted::blah::D:doh:😛🤣

Kenzo, that is a classic Pic:applause: The others are kind of disturbing, not that there is anything wrong with that...👍

Wow I cant beleive guys on this thread will even argue about these two bikes. I dont even own either of them, but have spent quite a bit of time on both bikes, street and dirt.

Here are the facts to maybe put this stupid arguement to rest:

If you live in a state where you cant convert an R to street legal the L is your only option. But if you can plate your R and you dont have to have a magic button, the R does every single thing the L does, and does it better. Facts are facts. Far as stating the R is old technology compared to the L...Um since when is a liquid cooled higher horspower motor out dated compared an air cooled motor....that Air cooled 650L motor is far outdated desgin wise. Dont get me wrong, the L has had design changes more recent than the R ...but that doesnt mean the design utilized in the L isnt older technology, and it is! Both are great bikes for what they were built for. The R was built for long, high speed endurance as in Baja and has proven to be the best in the world at this. There is no contesting this. Any L owner who doesnt believe this, if you have not seen the movie Dust to Glory I suggest you do! The L on the other hand was the champion of factory dual sports. This was of course until KTM and Husquvara got heavily involved and produced more power, lighter weight bikes than the L, and with 6 speed transmissions. Since then the L can only claim to be the best dual sport bike in the dirt among Japanese makers...and again the R model made street legal smokes the L in power, speed, endurance and every other aspect. L owners can attempt to argue that the L has better street manners than the R on the street. I would say you have not driven a street legal R on the street #1, and #2 if you care that much about the street for a dual sport bike than you would have bought a DR650 or a KLR.

Final fact is these are two totally different bikes. Different motors, dirrerent frame one being aluminim and the other steel, one with true dirt suspension and the other a compromise of street and dirt; and the only thing they share is the brand name, the title XR in thier model. Besides that the R model is far superior in performance and longevity in every way. This is not a biased opinion...its just fact.

I beleive unfortunately Honda doesnt care about the dual sport market the L owners will still have the same bike for at least a few more years. R owners have had thier beloved BRP's dicontinued but considering Honda's bragging rights to Baja I would suspect that maybe for 2009 or 2010 we will see a CRF650R? We can all hope R and L owners get something new becase I beleive soo enough they will loose many loyal riders to other manufacturers up to date superior equipment.

Yep, those R riders are "special"...

powerband.jpg

dunkin.jpg

:worthy::busted::blah::D:doh:😛🤣

GEEEEZ man, now I've got to gouge out my eyes from that top pic!!!!

As for the original post, I'm quite happy with my off the shelf off/on road bike. Instead of paying money to make it street legal, I can use that money to make it faster, not to mention it requires little maintenance.👍

It'd be nice to have a lighter bike, but the R wouldn't bring me any places where my L wouldn't, and to me that's what counts.

Extra power wouldn't aid someone/anyone in my preferred terrain.

BTW, there weren't any starbucks on the Hancock dual sport (almost 100 miles of very much not-dual-sport bitchin' terrain), but there were a coupla XRLs. Guess what else wasn't there? Gee, didn't see a single XR650R.

Pick the bike that fits your wants and needs, not all Ls stop at starbucks, not all Rs make it to the end of the trail.

Dave

It'd be nice to have a lighter bike, but the R wouldn't bring me any places where my L wouldn't, and to me that's what counts.

Extra power wouldn't aid someone/anyone in my preferred terrain.

BTW, there weren't any starbucks on the Hancock dual sport (almost 100 miles of very much not-dual-sport bitchin' terrain), but there were a coupla XRLs. Guess what else wasn't there? Gee, didn't see a single XR650R.

Pick the bike that fits your wants and needs, not all Ls stop at starbucks, not all Rs make it to the end of the trail.

Dave

Well stated. Just 2 different bikes.

I have NO idea what you are talking about Bruce....

BTW, this is what started this whole thread....

http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/802155622.html

Wife doesn't know about it yet, but I am coming into some money soon and this plated R is just down the street....

:blah: Yeah! :D Yeah! :doh: Yeah!

But "L" ectric start!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 👍

No Starbucks for me! :busted: I'm a Diedrich's guy! :worthy:

Bruce(BWB),

....u said u were going to get ur wife to model that pink Klim Tee-shirt :worthy:

...but i see u beat her to it! :busted:

powerband.jpg

...when did u switch to the rainbow power band?!? 👍

:blah: