Sign in to follow this  

is there such thing as a resistor for a regulator/ rectifier?

First...

Thanks to all the guys who helped me with my stator question previously.

Was very helpful.:busted:

Baja Designs confirmed that I need to run at least my stock headlight since I got the stator rewound and a new regulator/ rectifier.

What my original plan was, was to be able to remove ALL lights when I was doing day races but Baja Designs has foiled my plans.

My question is.... isn't there some sort of resistor that I can put on it so that it is still utilizing that electricity? and if so is there a certain size?

My stator now produces 150 watts if that helps.

A apologize if my question is confusing as I am not a terribly good mechanic.👍

oh and by the way... if any of you want to check out my new light mount with HID's that I built check out my garage (I can't upload photos).

Kinda proud of my fabrication skills.:blah:

Thank YOU MUCHO!!!

:worthy:

Good question, Dezzi. I have the same problem but decided to use the stock light during the day to keep a load on the regulator-rectifier.

You can unplug the the two yellow wires from the reg connection but then you would kill the battery with the electric starter because you have taken the charging system off to run a number plate. Just run the stock headlight and be done with it.

oh and by the way... if any of you want to check out my new light mount with HID's that I built check out my garage (I can't upload photos).

Kinda proud of my fabrication skills.:busted:

Thank YOU MUCHO!!!

:worthy:

Very cool.... you welded it up too? bent it up?? A woman of many men's dreams... :blah:

Here ya go;

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=64933

... and again, I've been running the 150W rewound stator from BajaD for a couple years. And don't run ANY lights on my bike... so no draw. Not a problem thus far 👍 .... I think their recommendation is just a "safety" line so they are covered within a percentage.

Some people get away with running no lights on their 450Xs and some don't. At least for a certain amount of time.

The thing is that the stator on that bike produces a lot of power and eventually the heat produced by the reg having to "get rid" of all the extra power will deteriorate the circuitry in the reg.

It is definitely recommended that you run a light at all times just to prolong the life of the reg.

And Johnny - you may want to carry a spare reg. Just because it hasn't happened to you yet doesn't mean it won't. Be a shame to ruin a Baja trip due to a reg failure!

And Johnny - you may want to carry a spare reg. Just because it hasn't happened to you yet doesn't mean it won't. Be a shame to ruin a Baja trip due to a reg failure!

I heard that... but after 2+yrs ... I'm thinking a spare would come in handy, as I already have spare 'everything else' 👍

My question is.... isn't there some sort of resistor that I can put on it so that it is still utilizing that electricity? and if so is there a certain size?

My stator now produces 150 watts if that helps.

👍

This has been a topic that I’ve read about here a couple of times.

First Dezzi, I believe you’re looking for something like this,

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?FS=TRUE&Ne=688632+688665&N=4141191+4294572328+4294647487+1323038&Ns=P_SField

The ones with an aluminum heat sink would be sweet for your application.

I’d go with a 3ohm 50watt, if you went higher and the wiring anywhere on your lighting circuit couldn’t handle it you’d have trouble, plus you still want to charge your battery.

Please tell me you're also going to run a fuse, and without a light you'll have to be that much more diligent to make sure that the fuse isn't blow otherwise you'd be just running all of it straight through the Rect/Reg like Jat.

But please do me a couple of favors before you act,

1. Give a call to BD, they must have a work around for guys who don’t want to run a light.

2. The guys at Mouser are real cool, tell them your app and what you’re trying to accomplish and they’ll help.

That's my suggestion, I've not done it, but if I was in your shoes this is what I would try.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

And nice fab job!

Dezzi,

Did you ever get a good fix for running no light with the BD rewound stator? I just installed my rewound stator and want to do exactly what you describe. Thanks for any info!

No. I just switch em out and ride with the stock headlight on to utilize that regulator during the day.

Let me know if you come up with something.

take care

👍

• Like 1

Dezzi - Thanks for the reply. I cannot find a fix either so it looks like I'll be switching between stock and HID. At least it's a quick change.