Sign in to follow this  

2009 Adelanto Grand Prix

Has anybody heard anything about the 09 AGP. It will probably be in feb. If there is info to be had please pass it on to me, I need to redeem myself after last year.👍

I've been going to the Adelanto Grand Prix for the last 15 years or so.. 2008 I was slightly disappointed in the MotoPlex being used as it just wasn't the good ol Adelanto Grand Prix.. but the 2nd day of the event it grew on me, and could see the potential of it being better... but I went today to the 2009 Adelanto Grand Prix and came home early cause it just down right sucked. the motocross section is so small its ridiculous. basically like a U shape.. cant see the "triple jump" (really a tabletop) and the end of the water jump from the same spot.. the tabletop isn't in a straightaway that can get good air from it.. can only see the riders for roughly 20 secs... no classic Over Under either.. but can get over that part... Plus the venders are lined up along the street which makes it at least a mile long. not grouped together like normal.. which takes away from the cruising around between races.. Very Disappointing.. They built the track like Normal this year..and had the room for the old track layout. why not do it? Plus I understand that its not a sanctioned District 37 race anymore which I believe takes away a lot of the fans and riders.. and I'm sure Vendors as well.. why isn't it a District 37 race anymore?? PLUS..maybe 4-5 years ago they moved it from the first weekend in Feb. to the 3rd weekend.. which is the same as Nascar. what the hell were they thinking? theres another 25% of the crowed. Bigger crowed means more money right?? I just don't get it... Sorry my rant is so long.

toppdogg,

I have grown up going to and working the AGP since the 80's and I have seen it grow, change and deal with its share of issues. What drove it out of town was the properties it used. Most of the land, if not all of it, is private and city property which limits what can be done on it (even in parts you would think were open desert). The other issue is the huge crowds the race draws and the ever increasing issue of spectators and play riders hurting themselves. The vipers do what they can with what they have despite what many think the club could do or has to work with. If someone sees a need and wants to get involved, the vipers welcome new members or weekend volunteers. In fact they have paid money to off road organizations per the choice of the volunteer who registered for the program and worked on race weekend. Anyways... the D37 issue goes back a few years and many heated discussions ago. Maybe 10 yrs ago, D37 wanted to require all participants of AGP (being a district race) to join district which I think also would require AMA membership. The Vipers did not see this appropriate for Adelanto being that its a first time race experience and a once a year race for families and not regular desert racers. It would be costly for those once a year riders which is the majority of the AGP racers. So the Vipers did not make it part of the D37 GP series. D37 then created a competing GP on the same weekend as Adelanto and continually put the Vipers in a position of being a D37 club placing an unsanctioned event on top of a D37 sanctioned event. So a 20+ year event became in violation of a 1st year event. The weekend move was to avoid the competing GP or it may have been moved there prior to the D37 withdrawal. That's the gist of it and I am sure will spark a few memories out there. So basically, there's a lot which has gone on with this event over the last 29 years. Hope that helps with your questions. Take care. Let's hope AGP settles into its new era and that it continues to be an event that's fun for the racers and spectators.

Thank you for answering my questions. I posted on both threads hoping for some answers and you're the first one to actually do it. on the other I feel like i have to defend my original post.. https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=323290&page=7

I understood the need of having the Original AGP move due to land use. But what I didnt understand was the date change many years ago.. til now. there has to be same way to fix this cause personally I think the AGP is suffering. with your post I agree AGP is a first time race event with no need to join AMA for doing 1 race. again Thank you.