Sign in to follow this  

Vibration with aftermarket exhaust?

Just wondering if there is any added vibration with an aftermarket exhaust?

I do a lot of highway riding to get to the trails and recently removed my spark arrestor (because it sounds better IMO)👍 But it seems to add a bit of vibration in the seat at higher speeds. Not too much to handle but wouldn't want much worse. Should I get an aftermarket exhaust? Thanks!

• Like 1

Just wondering if there is any added vibration with an aftermarket exhaust?

I do a lot of highway riding to get to the trails and recently removed my spark arrestor (because it sounds better IMO):worthy: But it seems to add a bit of vibration in the seat at higher speeds. Not too much to handle but wouldn't want much worse. Should I get an aftermarket exhaust? Thanks!

Welcome to TT!:busted:

Have you ever accidentally started a fire on grasslands or in a forest? Well, I have. And I tried, but there was no way I could put it out. I'll remember that as long as I can remember anything.👍

The stock exhaust is the only road-legal exhaust for these bikes. If you remove it, you also remove the catalytic converter, which no aftermarket exhausts have. If you're going to ride onroad, leave the stock exhaust in place and intact until a legal and responsible alternative becomes available.

"just one opinion":D

/dh

Yeah, so there!

Leave the damn thing alone and ride it, and no more of them silly questions or anything; what do you think this is? Some kind of forum?

IMHO The FMF Powerbomb and Q4 is a nice choice and has a spark arrestor.

Welcome to TT!:worthy:

Have you ever accidentally started a fire on grasslands or in a forest? Well, I have. And I tried, but there was no way I could put it out. I'll remember that as long as I can remember anything.👍

The stock exhaust is the only road-legal exhaust for these bikes. If you remove it, you also remove the catalytic converter, which no aftermarket exhausts have. If you're going to ride onroad, leave the stock exhaust in place and intact until a legal and responsible alternative becomes available.

"just one opinion":D

/dh

Why could he not just install an exhaust with a SA. There are several

that have them installed. Not all stock exhausts have cats on em, so

Im not sure this would be a cause for a possible grass fire. I would think

the SA would be a much more effective measure for protecting against

this type of issue.

Am I wrong? Maybe I dont understand exhausts like I thought I did.

Yeah, so there!

Leave the damn thing alone and ride it, and no more of them silly questions or anything; what do you think this is? Some kind of forum?

:lol:That's right, don't nobody go changin a thing on these bikes, I'm sure not!:worthy:

Do you think nobody should say there are downsides to taking off a spark arrestor?

Do you think nobody should say they find loud exhausts offensive?

Do you think nobody should mention that removing a catalytic converter is not only a federal offense, it's also bad for the air we breathe?

IMHO The FMF Powerbomb and Q4 is a nice choice and has a spark arrestor.

The FMF Racing site says the Q4 comes with a SA. It doesn't say that about the PB. Does the PB come with a spark arrestor?

The ones who irritate me is the exhaust manufacturers, who make boatloads of cash selling tin cans at $300 a pop and let any consequences fall on their customers (and on motorcyclists as a whole, over time). They don't care, they have made their buck.👍

Why could he not just install an exhaust with a SA. There are several that have them installed. Not all stock exhausts have cats on em, so Im not sure this would be a cause for a possible grass fire. I would think the SA would be a much more effective measure for protecting against

this type of issue.

Am I wrong? Maybe I dont understand exhausts like I thought I did.

Sorry Zadok, i was mixing things up. There is no connection between needing a spark arrestor and having a catalytic converter that i know of. i do know that the ranchers around here tend to not use cat-equipped vehicles on their property, since they get so hot they will start fires all on their own - lots of examples of that here during the dry summer.

Cheers:)

/dh

Thanks for nothing ZX1100F1 👍

I think he was going off on me, not you. He recommended the FMF exhausts, which seem to be the most popular around here.

But what you describe doesn't sound right. Taking out the spark arrestor shouldn't make anything vibrate. I think maybe something else is the source. Try putting it back in and see if the vibrations go away. If they don't go away, check around for what else might be coming loose. One thought is, the rubber ring around your rear sprocket wears down over time. Maybe your chain is loose now? That could be it, maybe.

Let us know what you find.

/dh

A spark arrestor is exactly what it says. It arrests the spark. Nothing more nothing less. They are useful to keep the grass fires down as the Hermit as already pointed out.

A catalytic converter is exactly what is says it is too. It's a converter. Nothing more nothing less. It converts the nasty stuff to something more pleasing to the bunny huggers. It was not put there to keep sparks from exiting the exhaust. Sure CCs get hot but your CC is high enough off the ground to not be a problem. A car with a hot CC parked in the tall grass... now that's a problem! The only harm you will do by removing the catalytic converter is make your bike illegal to drive on the street. An after market (or stock) exhaust with a SA is all you really need IMHO.

Obviously it is not worth the time and trouble to try and remove the CC from the stock pipe. So either live with it or go after market. Another thing to keep in mind is vehicle inspections. If you have to have your bike inspected in your area, they MAY fail you with an after market pipe that has no CC in it.

Sure CCs get hot but your CC is high enough off the ground to not be a problem. A car with a hot CC parked in the tall grass... now that's a problem!

Thanks mwakey for saying everything better than I did. And especially clearing up about the cars vs bikes on grass fires. I was thinking of the diesel trucks they use here. It didn't occur to me someone would be concerned about starting a fire due to the CC in the stock WR250R exhaust. But what i wrote could be interpreted that way.

cheers!

/dh

Thanks for nothing ZX1100F1 👍

lol.....dude you gotta finish reading the post. I think Hermit

was the one instigating the :worthy::busted::blah: .......

Cmon Hermit......stop causing trouble. Now look what ya did....:D

Cmon Hermit......stop causing trouble. Now look what ya did....:D

I guess one should expect to be called a troublemaker if one suggests keeping the spark arrestor so it can, uh, arrest sparks, and keeping that pricey CC you just paid for so it can...well, people know, don't they, they just don't want to hear it.:blah:

Why am I getting hammered (twice now, but yours was in good humor) as the bad guy for mentioning what these pieces do, and what removing or cutting them up does?:worthy:👍

You think this is trouble, wait till I get grumpy and write down my real opinions on the matter.:doh: Nah, if I'm gonna get more bad gas, I can just go back to the Thumpette forum. Much more entertaining there, you guys are too reasonable....:busted:

...except about spark arrestors and loud machines.😛

Spark arrestors prevent forrest fires. Try living in California right now. Be responsible.

My personal opinion only, but...

Dirt riders on public lands should presume spark arrestors are mandatory where required by law. Dirt riders should also be making considerable effort to make their bikes as quiet as they possibly can. Looking for a louder pipe to "make it sound better" just doesn't register with me. If you like loud, go to a racetrack - and I'm saying that as someone who used to love the sound of a bunch of wound-out two stroke race bikes.

We are losing more and more access all the time - including out here in the boonies. Some of that loss is inevitable and unavoidable due to more use in some spots than the environment can responsibly be subjected to, noxious weed issues, etc. Some of that loss is going to be because of lost fights over who gets to use the area in question. However, losing riding opportunities due to a response to bikes starting fires and obnoxious noise that rallied everyone else to get us kicked out... well, that's just stupid with a capital "T".

There are lots of fights out there for dirt riders to get caught up on. But starting fights for access over running without spark arrestors and unnecessarily loud bikes is not the hill to choose to die for, in my opinion.

Some of us need to wake up to the fact that just because we love the sound of a bike under full power doesn't mean everybody else out there in the boonies does as well. Piss them off enough, and they will organize to get you out of there - and I don't blame them for doing so. Furthermore, in some areas, with some wildlife engine noise has an extremely detrimental effect on those species, so once again it is both smart and ethical to leave a minimal footprint behind you - in all ways.

Bottom line: I really can't see any justification for a sport rider on public lands to be riding without the required spark arrestor and/or with an unnecessarily loud pipe. On your own property or on a privately owned venue, go crazy and knock yourself out, nobody can bitch about what you're doing to everybody else there.

Did you put a skid plate on the bike? Without foam they resonate loudly. I went to Ace, got some closed cell weatherstriping, lined the frame rails, packed the underside with Helix closed cell foam (won't absorb water)and now I have no vibration, and don't worry about packing heat trapping mud in the plate.

Did you put a skid plate on the bike? Without foam they resonate loudly. I went to Ace, got some closed cell weatherstriping, lined the frame rails, packed the underside with Helix closed cell foam (won't absorb water)and now I have no vibration, and don't worry about packing heat trapping mud in the plate.

Excellent! This fellow TTer and WR250R/X owner has a vibration problem that we could help him solve.

cheers!/dh

I guess one should expect to be called a troublemaker if one suggests keeping the spark arrestor so it can, uh, arrest sparks, and keeping that pricey CC you just paid for so it can...well, people know, don't they, they just don't want to hear it.:doh:

Why am I getting hammered (twice now, but yours was in good humor) as the bad guy for mentioning what these pieces do, and what removing or cutting them up does?:worthy:👍

You think this is trouble, wait till I get grumpy and write down my real opinions on the matter.😛 Nah, if I'm gonna get more bad gas, I can just go back to the Thumpette forum. Much more entertaining there, you guys are too reasonable....:blah:

...except about spark arrestors and loud machines.🤣

lol....are you serious? did you get bad gas for that?

I thought I knew what yoiu meant by your original post, it just threw

me off with the talk about the CC. Personally I dont care about the

CC, but I do get your point on the SA. I think installing a pipe

like the FMF Q4 with SA would be fine. Although I have the FMF

Powercore with SA. I did not opt for the Quiet version.

Anyway, no worries with me man. I like the joke around on the site

in between reading and posting helpful info. Some here I think just

start taking it too seriously. What I mean by that is, giving bad gas

for a comment, whether they agree or not.....who cares.:busted:

Later.:D

Never did find the cause, thanks for following up. Kind of learned to ignore it for now, it's not really that bad. However, am having a shifting issue recently (see other post), hope the two are not related.