Sign in to follow this  

97 rm250 cylinder trashed

hi. i just bought a 97 rm250. i need a new cylinder for it. i cant seem to find one. what other years can be used for this. also i will post pics later. the skirt of the cylinder(name??) cracked off. wanted to know if it looked repairable. also if anyone has one for sale pm me. thanks

Anthony

Cylinders from 1996-2000 should work. There appear to be minor variations between the years, but the basic part numbers are the same.

With damage that bad I'd rebuild the entire engine taking a really close look at the crank and connecting rod. And, no, you don't want to just put a sleeve in - those cast areas serve important purposes.

www.powersealusa.com they do great work and will fix your cylinder. A sleeve isnt going to fix that damage. they can restore it better than new because they angle the ports instead of leaving them at a 90 degree angle which increases ring life. As for your frame, black always looks good and is a safe choice you cant go wrong with. However yellow looks great too.

the piece actually broke from the previous owner hammering out his new piston after putting the rings in wrong. scraped plating off cylinder and cracked off the piece of cylinder. wouldnt a sleeve just cover those areas. it almost replicates that area and covers it. if it could support itself in that area i think it should work. well anyway i look for a used cylinder and maybe split the cases.

still not sure on the frame thinking maybe black though