Sign in to follow this  

Best GRAVEL tire...PERIOD?

Don't care how they do in mud, sand, dirt or tarmac.

Don't care how much they cost or how long they last, doing a RallyMoto event on forest service gravel roads (hard pack with gravel on top) and want the best tire period, but they do have to be DOT.

Fronts tried: Maxxis 6006 & MT-21

Rears tried: 6006, Dunlop 606, MT-21's

Been considering running a DOT trials tire, or something like a Kenda K760 (opposite ends of the spectrum).

Please reply with relevant GRAVEL tire experience, Pacific NW road experience would be great.

Speeds up to about 90 on straights.

Consensus for dirty riding seems to be MT-18HD front (having a hard time locating now and either MT-21 rear or Trackmaster II).

Issue I have with the MT-21 F/R setup I am running now is front end washout and pretty lame rear traction.

The tire I am looking for very well may NOT exist (marbles on concrete floor) but...

Anyone gots any input??

Gracias.

I run the Trakmaster in the coast range trails and gravel roads and like it. About 800 miles on the rear and it still is decent. Probably has a few hundred left on it.

The best tires that I have tried in gravel are the Continental TKC-80's. They are not cheap, but they work much better than any thing else I have tried. I do not have much experience at 90mph, but between 40 and 60mph they work well.

Gravel is still marbles, but I have been amazed at how well they work compared to a full knobby.

This is compared to:

606's, Mt-21's, S-12's, MT-18HD, and a few more.

On gravel and not to loose sand while cruising and travelling off road, a Pirelli scorpion MT60 I had excelled at the sort of riding you describe, it had the right camber profile to really hang in there under power when moving through gravel turns, and offered reasonable and predictable stability at speed. However it didn't offer the outright traction of a more aggresive tread when on the throttle in the lower gears, but that was ok, I wasn't hooning around anyway, just off road trecking. Its a a good tyre for gravel that is on hard to medium pack road or trailways of any kind. Not really suited to really loose stuff unless a lot of care is taken.

My 2C worth.