Sign in to follow this  

Best upgrade from a TW-200 for wife

Alright, considering ditching the wifes TW-200 for a skinny tire bike. TW's are great, fun bikes, but I'm really thinking that wide front tire isn't as stable in the sand as most would think. Also, the suspension is getting pushed past it's limits in the whoops now that she's become a pretty good rider. I ride it occasionally, and the front end is all over in the sand, way worse than a skinny tire bike IMO.

Thinking a used XT-225, still has a low seat height, 6-speed sounds nice, and suspension spec's look a little better. Prolly have to upgrade the tires to something better in the dirt.

Whaddya think? Any other bikes comparable for price and specs?

The XT225 would be perfect. It has a much higher road speed than the TW and is suspended better (for a lighter person). There should be quite a few used ones available as they built thousands. Many low cost engine upgrades are also avavilable. Check this owners site:

http://www.xt225.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

You might check out the honda CRF230L. My first real trail bike was the dirt model and at the time I weighed about 190 poinds and it still had a fair amount of get up and go for its weight. Seat height is low and you can also get stiffer springs for the suspension via BBR. I don't know how it would compare to the XT 225 though.

XT250, same price in CDN as CRF230L, not sure about US, low seat height etc. KLX250 if she's tall (35" seat height). XT225 rear drum brake:thumbsdn:

XT250 weight, can't see it being worst than the TW. Good luck, i would let her make the final decision thou, .......umm just because:ride:

Many to chose from:

Honda-CRF230L

Suzuki-DR200

Yamaha-TT225 (rear drum brake)

Yamaha-XT250 Low set like the three up^^^

Yamaha-WR250R and X ? D/S plated and SM Taller

Kawasaki-KLX250 Taller

Husqvarna-TE250, 450, 510, $$, Tall but lowerable

Oh, and let her decide....

Think about better suspension not just the tire size. I don't know if the TW suspension is worth or possible to have upgraded but i bet thats the biggest problem not just the tire. Try to ride the xt/crf or better yet let her try it. If she's slamming whoops hard you may have to upgrade to something better than an other beginner/budget bike.

Been pondering the same question for my SO. She has learned on a TW, but has outgrown it now. We recently put her on a new TTR 230 for strictly dirt, but I'm leaning towards a KLX250 for her next DS. I'm not really a Kawi fan, but the bang for the buck in the off road department puts it at the top of the choices IMHO. I have a few people I ride with that have 'em and they do quite well down here in the sand. They are very anemic in stock form, but respond well to mods.

The TW is a great little trail bike, but way undersuspended for any serious DS work. I love mine and will probably never part with it, but I just use it for those slow lazy trail days and also for teaching noobies.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

It's gotta be an "inexpensive" bike like the TW, would really like to ditch the TW and get into the other bike without any $$ outlay. Any upgrade in the suspension will be good, she really doesn't need a full-blown suspended bike.

try the Honda CRF230, I love it... mine is an 03 dual sport. dual sport is the way to go... I learned to ride a moto and got my license on the TW200, I agree, the wheels were too big. search around on cycletrader.com that is where I found mine. good luck!