Sign in to follow this  

Check out this stack

Not going to say what company did this, but it was for a mid pack (at national level) intermediate rider, who wanted the rear shock to work better on large roller whoops and high speed large rollers, as it swapped for him.

On the forks, he wanted to really be able to push hard down rough hills.

Primarly sand/red clay mix track

150 pounds no gear

2007 yz250 two

fork

360cc oil height

base

14 x 32 x .11

30 x .11

28 x .11

26 x .11

24 x .11

22 x .11

20 x .11

18 x .11

15 x .11

14 x .25

14 x .25 >>not sure the thickness on these, but .25 is best I remember.

Mid

3 x 20 x .11

18 x .11

11 x .11

16 x .11

14 x .11

11 x .11

17 >> can't remember thickness but .30 sounds right.

Stock spring rates, so .44 forks if i remember right

dont remember shock, but its stock.

I want some opinions before I give the verdict as to how it was

I will post the shock soon.

Not going to say what company did this, but it was for a mid pack (at national level) intermediate rider, who wanted the rear shock to work better on large roller whoops and high speed large rollers, as it swapped for him.

On the forks, he wanted to really be able to push hard down rough hills.

Primarly sand/red clay mix track

150 pounds no gear

2007 yz250 two

fork

360cc oil height

base

14 x 32 x .11

30 x .11

28 x .11

26 x .11

24 x .11

22 x .11

20 x .11

18 x .11

15 x .11

14 x .25

14 x .25 >>not sure the thickness on these, but .25 is best I remember.

Mid

3 x 20 x .11

18 x .11

11 x .11

16 x .11

14 x .11

11 x .11

17 >> can't remember thickness but .30 sounds right.

Stock spring rates, so .44 forks if i remember right

dont remember shock, but its stock.

I want some opinions before I give the verdict as to how it was

I will post the shock soon.

Well....you're missing the float and lock/limit numbers on the mid-valve, which is more important than the stack details. You also need to include the free piston settings. Stacks are only one part of the solution so if you want to evaluate something you have to comprehensively look at all the factors involved.

But the bottom line is that there is nothing magical or that far out of the ordinary here. If you look at some of the stock settings, this is very close.

Additionally, the cross-over in the mid would be useless without changes to the float so not much there, and the only realy change to the base is the count of face face shims.

I hope they didn't spend a lot of money for this.

I didn't measure float, but the rebound stack on the mid was completely stock, as was the sleeve and limit plate etc...so maybe someone can calculate it. Bet is its the same as stock?

here is the shock.

stock exchange piston.

stock rebound

8 x 40 x .20

36 x .11

30 x .11

40 x .20

38 x .20

36 x .20

34 x .20

32 x .20

30 x .20

28 x .20

26 x .20

24 x .20

22 x .20

Couple more comments and I will post riding impression.

I agree, nothing special here very close to stock.

What do the OEM stacks look like on the Forks and shock and the MV float?

theDogger

I didn't measure float, but the rebound stack on the mid was completely stock, as was the sleeve and limit plate etc...so maybe someone can calculate it. Bet is its the same as stock?

here is the shock.

stock exchange piston.

9 x 36 x .15

28 x .11

36 x .25

34 x .30

32 x .30

30 x .30

28 x .30

26 x .30

24 x .30

22 x .30

2 x 26 x .30

stock rebound stack.

Couple more comments and I will post riding impression.

Ummm? That IS the rebound stack, right? What about the compression?:worthy:👍

Ummm? That IS the rebound stack, right? What about the compression?:worthy:👍

oops didnt finish posting its corrected now.

pretty soft all round by the looks of it.

So the final ride conclussion was it worked well when the tracks were smooth. The forks didn't bottom on large overjumps, it seemed to handle small chop well, but as soon as the track had twenty minutes on it, it started getting harsh.

At first the rider thought it was too stiff, and tried softening the clickers, but ultimately realized he was bottoming on what he called small braking bumps to his local standard.

After a couple rides of constantly adjusting, he finally decided to get it taken apart and looked at...and I guess we can all see they softened the stacks considerably.

Seeing how he told them the forks were ok, but he wanted to be able to push harder in rougher sections, and that the shock was swapping in large roller whoops and sand rollers, I don't think they listened at all, as those sections got worse, not better.

On clay based, tighter tracks, it worked well, but as soon as the bumps grew in size, it was extremely harsh the faster he pushed. I have to say thats not what suspension should do, the faster you go, the better it should get in my eyes.

anyways, His bike is now running Dave J's set up and oil with the mid valve kit, so expect his impression of that soon, he has a couple rides on it so far, and we are waiting to try the stiffer sleeve (installed but not ridden) and a rough track, as its been raining and work conflicts have messed with the past month.

Additionally, the cross-over in the mid would be useless without changes to the float so not much there, and the only realy change to the base is the count of face face shims.

I dont get the mid cross-over, unless the float gap is set tighter than normal say .1mm? Then i could see a possible benefit.

I wish I had measured float, but like stated, those are exactly what was in there, stock rebound, stock sleeve and spring etc....

I wish I had measured float, but like stated, those are exactly what was in there, stock rebound, stock sleeve and spring etc....

Yeah, when specing suspension you can leave no stone unturned, every detail matters.

for my 2p's worth, yes its close to stock, if he's shut the float down and run a cross over on the mid, with this base for his weight and ability then it wont be that bad, but i cant honestly say it would be much better if any than stock.

the shock is pretty much stock less a couple of face shims.

like dave says, i hope he's not paid a heap of money for this.

mark.