Sign in to follow this  

Chain and Sprocket help

i bought a new chain and sprockets. now my old smaller sprocket was a 13 tooth and the new one is a 14 tooth because they didn't have a 13 tooth in stock. The old rear sprocket was a 50 tooth and the new one is 48 (didn't know it was different then stock). Now my question is how many links should the chain be. now i am not to sure how u count the links on the chain but if you can imagine if your chain was made out of master links, mine would have 57 and the actual mater link so 58. now i wanna know what my new chain should be (how many links). thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

bike is a 2006 yz250f if that helps.

kyle

Forget counting links. Put the new sprockets on and position the wheel toward the front of it's adjustment range. Install the chain with the proper slack and you will see by the overlap on the rear sprocket exactly how much to remove.

Forget counting links. Put the new sprockets on and position the wheel toward the front of it's adjustment range. Install the chain with the proper slack and you will see by the overlap on the rear sprocket exactly how much to remove.

+1 throw actually counting links out the window.

More than likely, you will hate that gear ratio. I'd suggest that you take the front sprocket back and get the correct 13T part.

alright i will do that. never thought of it that way. thanks for the help

More than likely, you will hate that gear ratio. I'd suggest that you take the front sprocket back and get the correct 13T part.

why do you say this? i am curious as i am fairly new to this and wondering what this will do...will it give me too much bottom end?

why do you say this? i am curious as i am fairly new to this and wondering what this will do...will it give me too much bottom end?

Just the opposite. The larger 14T front sprocket will widen the ratios and and will give you faster top-end speeds at the expense of slow speed riding.

And going from the stock 50 to a 48 rear does the same thing - I'd even recommend that you take both of them back and go with a 13/51 or 13/52 gearing instead. You'll like them much better!

And going from the stock 50 to a 48 rear does the same thing - I'd even recommend that you take both of them back and go with a 13/51 or 13/52 gearing instead. You'll like them much better!👍

I believe the '06 YZ250F comes stock with a 48T rear sprocket. The kid just needs a 13T front sprocket and he should be set.

thanks for the help guys. i am just gonna get a 13t front sprocket as the stock rear is a 48t. thanks again

kyle