Sign in to follow this  

Fork Saver

I have one and like it, but a piece of 2x4 cut the right length will do the same thing. You can go a step farther and cut a slight curve on one end and screw a cross bar (that holds the thing in place on the forks) to it. I really recommend having something bought or made, cause it allows you to really cinch down your bike without undue pressure on the suspension.

I kinda have the opposite opinion on them.I've had my bikes shake lose more often using them.Their good for flat surfaces when driving but get on a bumpy dirt road and my front wheels always move.Defintley better for the seals though.The longest my bikes are cinched down is about 3hrs max.Always losen the straps when not moving though.

I will get one then...my seals are already blown out, so every time I tie my bike down it pisses fork oil. Thanks

Even with the fork saver, the forks are stillcomptessed, just not as much. Have you tried cleaning the seals.

Use a piece of film negative or the special tool (around $5). First drop the first ring, i think that is called the wiper, then you have access to the actual seal. Form the film or tool to the fork and work it in between the fork and seal. As you work it in and out all the way around the fork it will remove any trash that could be causing a poor seal. I woul d try this before replacing the seals unless you are sure the seals are bad.

I kinda have the opposite opinion on them.I've had my bikes shake lose more often using them.Their good for flat surfaces when driving but get on a bumpy dirt road and my front wheels always move.Defintley better for the seals though.The longest my bikes are cinched down is about 3hrs max.Always losen the straps when not moving though.

Do your straps pull the bike fwd when tied down, cause I never have that prob and have traveled some rough roads. My straps attatch at the fwd edge of the trailer. Get the front wheel snug against the rail of your trailer or front bed rail then insert fork saver (if the front whell rolls fwd after putting in the saver it will not be in line with the fork and could come loose). On my trailer I strap the front wheel to the rail (it is round and the wheel always seems to turn creating havoc with the whole tie down system).