1995 XR600R dyno plot

Hi guys, this is my 1st post. I just got an XR600R after a nearly 10 year hiatus from the sport of motorcycle riding. I'm loving the XR! I work at a dyno shop tuning various rally, road race, and sport road vehicles so I have a dyno available to me. I threw the XR on today and this is what she could muster.

Xr600R.jpg

She is a 1995 XR600R with a White Brothers E series slip on and an XRs only header, jetted to ~12.8 AFR @ WOT on a hot day and a heat soaked engine. The AFR is almost a full point leaner when it's cold.

Keep in mind that our Dyno Dynamics dyno reads about 15% lower than a dynojet, also this is an automotive dyno rather than a bike dyno so the longer roller may skew the data. For reference, a Subaru STi makes about 215 in standard trim.

Thanks to the TT community for all of the invaluable info I've gleaned thus far. I've redone the wheel bearings, swingarm pivot, rear shock pivots, shock linkage bearings, shock oil/valving, fork oil/valving and lots and lots of cleaning.

• Like 1

Great first post and welcome to the nut hou....I mean club. :busted:

I was just thinking this morning that some dyno charts of the different bikes would make a great addition to the FAQ. I nominate this one as the first 600 dyno chart to be added. ? What kind of baro conditions was it during the testing? Did you use a knobby on the back or a dual sport/street tire?

I bet it's pretty handy having a dyno and wideband at your disposal for tuning. :worthy:

let me know if you need any dyno results for any 650L motor with over 20,000 dollars of engine work done to it.

Shoot out a post with a graph! I'd gladly add it to the new one.

Be sure you list your mods, as to not deceive new guys from thinking just rejetting and a pipe will give you 300 HP from an L engine.

?

Great first post and welcome to the nut hou....I mean club. :busted:

I was just thinking this morning that some dyno charts of the different bikes would make a great addition to the FAQ. I nominate this one as the first 600 dyno chart to be added. ? What kind of baro conditions was it during the testing? Did you use a knobby on the back or a dual sport/street tire?

I bet it's pretty handy having a dyno and wideband at your disposal for tuning. :worthy:

I had the fabricator add an 02 bung to my exhaust last week in preparation for today :blah:

30.05 in HG, 81* and about 55% humidity. The correction factor ended up slightly negative, at around .991 or so (I'm remembering off the top of my head). The dyno test was done using a Pirelli Scorpion knobby. I bet it will make more power with a smoother tire. I'm working on a set of F2 CBR wheels for commuting duty and will dyno it again with them on. Next up is a basic fuel injection system, I can't wait!

I have no idea of the mileage on the motor, but the compression is decent. Someday I'll do a cam and big bore, and I'll be sure to document it along the way!

Anyone in the New England area with an XR or any bike/car for that matter let me know and we can set up some super cheap off hours dyno runs.

I had the fabricator add an 02 bung to my exhaust last week in preparation for today ?

30.05 in HG, 81* and about 55% humidity. The correction factor ended up slightly negative, at around .991 or so (I'm remembering off the top of my head). The dyno test was done using a Pirelli Scorpion knobby. I bet it will make more power with a smoother tire. I'm working on a set of F2 CBR wheels for commuting duty and will dyno it again with them on. Next up is a basic fuel injection system, I can't wait!

I have no idea of the mileage on the motor, but the compression is decent. Someday I'll do a cam and big bore, and I'll be sure to document it along the way!

Anyone in the New England area with an XR or any bike/car for that matter let me know and we can set up some super cheap off hours dyno runs.

Welcome to TT, and if you looking for test subjects.....

Come to Nevada!

I had the fabricator add an 02 bung to my exhaust last week in preparation for today ?

30.05 in HG, 81* and about 55% humidity. The correction factor ended up slightly negative, at around .991 or so (I'm remembering off the top of my head). The dyno test was done using a Pirelli Scorpion knobby. I bet it will make more power with a smoother tire. I'm working on a set of F2 CBR wheels for commuting duty and will dyno it again with them on.

Was 30.05" Hg the corrected pressure or the actual pressure? I have been taking notes from my handheld Brunton ADC and it only reads the actual atmospheric pressure(only about 894 millibars here on average). I pay more attention to the density altitude reading, though. The bike is noticeably softer when the DA climbs over 6000ft here in the hot weather.

Next up is a basic fuel injection system, I can't wait!

w00t! One of my favorite subjects. :busted: What kind did you have in mind?

It's too bad you're not closer. I bet I'm not the only one that would like to know what kind of power my 600 is making in its current trim. :worthy: I also wouldn't mind knowing how good/bad the AFR is with my 68/170 jets.

I believe that that was actual pressure. We've got an inexpensive weather station which only displays pressure, temp, and humidity.

I was contemplating a Microsquirt. I would probably leave the stock ignition system intact at first for simplicity sake and just do fueling. I'm sitting on an Autronic SMC marine model (waterproof) but I think that may be too much ECU for a single.

I'm using a 168 main jet and it runs between 12.8 and 13.5 AFR depending on the temperature. Any recommendations on a target AFR for this air cooled single? I'm used to tuning water cooled turbo 4 cylinder engines.

1.) I believe that that was actual pressure. We've got an inexpensive weather station which only displays pressure, temp, and humidity.

2.) I was contemplating a Microsquirt. I would probably leave the stock ignition system intact at first for simplicity sake and just do fueling. I'm sitting on an Autronic SMC marine model (waterproof) but I think that may be too much ECU for a single.

3.) I'm using a 168 main jet and it runs between 12.8 and 13.5 AFR depending on the temperature. Any recommendations on a target AFR for this air cooled single? I'm used to tuning water cooled turbo 4 cylinder engines.

1.) Cool, thanks. Pressure here hovers around 26.1-26.4" Hg

2.) It should certainly be easier to tune the EFI in fuel-only mode without having to get the ignition right at the same. IMO, ignition is also not that necessary until the compression and induction gets reworked. I don't have any experience with Autronic, but I also don't think there can ever be too many features in a standalone. :worthy: One thing I wish the Microsquirt came with is an onboard MAP sensor. I think including a Motorola/Freescale surface-mount sensor like the aftermarket MAP upgrades have would have been a nice step toward keeping the system self-contained. Still a nice system, though.

3.) Seriously? You are one of about two people on this forum that actually tune with a wideband. ? Stepho is the other one. :busted: I would aim for low 13s at the least to mid 12s at peak power. I try to jet a little on the rich side to keep mine cool in this desert heat.

Your mention of using a 168 main jet on a mild engine makes me wonder if the jetting in my bike isn't still a little lean for the mods. (170/68). I do have an Innovate LC-1, but no bung in the header.

We're at sea level here in Boston, what is your altitude?

Agreed on the ignition system. The stock ignition box runs about 30* or st all in by 3k RPMs. Also agreed on the Microsquirt lack of a MAP sensor. The packaging would be a bit simpler with the on board MAP. It would be fairly trivial to use a Motorola MAP sensor stuck onto the case of the Microsquirt. The only problem is that those sensors aren't very robust and are susceptible to high temps and moisture. As much as I hate Delco parts, the GM 1 bar sensor may be more robust in the tough environment of a bike.

When I first got the bike the plug was super white and it had a 153 main jet or something stupid small. I picked up a few jets and did some basic spark plug tuning. I ended up with the 166 jet based on plug color. That netted me roughly 13.8ish AFR. The bike runs much cooler in the low 13s (with the 168) and makes the exact same power. I'm an engineering geek and love measurements, it was only natural.

I'm really looking forward to EFI, it bugs me that the AFR changes so much based on engine and air temp.

This forum is awesome!?

I figured you were close to sea level. I'm at 3400ft, so you can understand the "bad air." ? Density altitude right now in the house is 5600ft with a relative air density of 83.8% and falling. Not very good, but not as bad as a lot of other places either.

The Freescale datasheet I have for the MPXH6400(400kPa) says that it maintains the rated accuracy all the way up to 185F and the operating range actually goes as far as 257F. I wouldn't expect the inside of an EFI computer to get that hot unless something was overloaded or melting down. I guess the benefit of an external sensor is that it's easy to replace if it ever does fail.

I was fooling around with some MPX5700 700kPa sensors and attempting to use them with my MS-I, but I don't know that 255 ADC units is going to be accurate enough to represent that many increments. I may have to just bite the bullet and get the MS-II daughter card. Sorting out the code is also a pain since I'm not a programmer.