Sign in to follow this  

Laurel Lakes, Mammoth?

Next month we have a 4 day fishing and riding trip (more riding, less fishing this year) planned to Bridgeport, Ca. (North of Mammoth).

My wife and I want to trailer the quads down from bridgeport to Mammoth for a day ride to the Laurel Lakes area. We have never been here and I wanted to know where would be the best place to stage to get the most out of the ride.

I have a map I picked up in Bishop last year, just looking for a good staging point and some trails that would give us a scenic few hours of riding.

Thanks,

Jim

Laurel Lakes is beautiful. It's about 4 miles from the road, and the elevation gain is great, as you reach 10,000ft on the "road". It's a pretty quick ride up: about 20 min for me on my DRZ400s, and very rocky. I would stage in the Sherwin Creek Camp ("closed right now") or environs. You can probably park right at the base of the road on Sherwin Creek Road as well.

From what I can recall, however, there's little connectivity with the rest of the trails from the base of the Laurel Lakes Road. There's a map that's widely distributed up there that shows all the off road trails in the area. And there's a huge jpg here, but it's got an awful lot of detail. Otherwise, you'd get more trails from parking near New Shady Rest, Old Shady Rest, or Pine Glen, which is right off the 203 on the way to Mammoth Mtn. There are also tons of trails, dirt roads, and opportunities off the Mammoth Scenic loop, or closer to Bridgeport, from the Glass Creek area. I usually ride a dual sport in the area, so I don't have to worry, but you've got a good idea to be careful about where to stage as you aren't street legal. Also, there are tons of legal trails on the east side of the 395, from the 203 to June exit and north. If you were to go to Glass Creek to stage, you could also cross the 395 there, cross the CalTrans Road Station, and enter an expansive trail network there.

• Like 1

Thanks for the great info blockpass270, last year we rode right from our cabin at Doc & Al's but alot of the trails leading up into the forest had locked gates after only a few miles of riding them.

We are planning alot more exploring this year, my fishing skills are, lets say, subpar. So instead of spending countless hours on the lake, getting burned all for a 3 fish, it will be spent out on the trails.

We are definately doing the Laurel lakes ride and most likely re-stage somewhere else and plan out a loop.

I'll post pics up when we return.

Blockpass270 is dead on. Glass Creek is the spot (and free). I don't even have a dual sport and was able to legally ride all over the place. Great trails and even the Rhino action was really fun. I actually rode to the shady rest campground which is actually in Mammoth city. we had friends camped there and the camp host was a cool guy. You can get to the June lake loop easily and even get to mono lake.

As far fishing, you should have hit Buckeye creek right above Doc and Als, GREAT FISHING there. I always get skunked on the lakes myself, I guess I am just not patient enough...

• Like 1

As far fishing, you should have hit Buckeye creek right above Doc and Als, GREAT FISHING there. I always get skunked on the lakes myself, I guess I am just not patient enough...

Three years ago my buddy, an avid fisherman, and I hit all around the lake, alot of the creeks and the Walker River. I watched him pull fish out of everyspot he dropped a line for two days, I in the end caught one fish on the lake next to the Marina. Last year I fished 2 days (lake only) and tripled it by catching 3 fish.

I guess I am very impatient too. This year I will still fish, but alot less, I just don't have the technique or patients, but I managed to catch a nice buzz those two years.....👍

OHHHHH, you fish just like me then. about a beer every fourth cast, lol..

Yeah, I have hit anettes mono village every year for 15 years running and get this ...... I HAVE NEVER caught a fish out of either the upper or lower lakes !! But I fill the stringer every year fishing walker off the sonara pass, Buckeye,Green creek and Robinson creek.

But i always see a 6 year kid walking around with a 5 pounder every evening.

It was busy up there this year.. I was surprised. Thought gas prices would have slowed some of the travelers.

I don't have the patience for it either... but I tell you what I do have the patience for... yanking them out of a 18" deep crick with my bare hands 100 feet from camp. That's what we did up there last month... there's no polarizer on the lens: look closely, dead center.345336667_eqMU8-M.jpg

Is this the FishTalk.com forum.......LoL

I would like to say I caught this in the Lower Twin Lake, but that would be a lie, it was my avid fisherman buddy:

twinlakestrout.jpg

I can say I caught this one, but not on any lake:

sharkb1.jpg

You guys rock... I love it !!!!

Well have to do some riding up there next time around. I have learned my way around there after 15 years... so I know some pretty cool areas for both riding and fishing..