Sign in to follow this  

Another 250r spark arrester thread

Just tried the wr250 without the spark arrester. There is more snap to the bike . But what are you guys doing to snug up the end cap to the pipe? There is a gap when I tighten up the 3 screws to the pipe, and the end cap dosent secure tight. Any suggestions. FD

Just tried the wr250 without the spark arrester. There is more snap to the bike . But what are you guys doing to snug up the end cap to the pipe? There is a gap when I tighten up the 3 screws to the pipe, and the end cap dosent secure tight. Any suggestions. FD

Just leave the end cap cover off. It's only there for decoration. It weighs 6 oz, and it won't last long without the real end cap / spark arrestor assembly on there to shield it from the exhaust gas.

I just put the end cap back on. The screws went in hard from the beginning. Just added a little silicone spray to them and snugged em up but be careful not to strip the threads (heard some other guys on here had that problem). Use the washer ring that is on the spark arrestor. I like the way the bike sounds without it. Let me know if you notice any addition vibration.

Also, someone said without the cap, the heat from the exhaust melted his rear turn signal.

Ahh, I hadn't heard that! Good point, no use melting stuff.

If you like, I'll sell you this custom fabricated Spark Arrestor Replacement Unit (SARU) for $2.98 plus shipping. It is not as unrestricted as total SA removal, but it helps to keep the exhaust directed away from your turn signals.

SA-mod2.jpg

Supplies limited. 👍

I just put the end cap back on. The screws went in hard from the beginning. Just added a little silicone spray to them and snugged em up but be careful not to strip the threads (heard some other guys on here had that problem). Use the washer ring that is on the spark arrestor. I like the way the bike sounds without it. Let me know if you notice any addition vibration.

I know you're asking about aftermarket exhausts on your other thread,

but if you can live with the sound after removing the SA from the stock

muffler most aftermarket mufflers will seem quiet by comparison.

The stock muffler without the SA is LOUD!!!

I did remove the spark arrester today. It is loud. But it does add noticable snap to the bike. I wonder how much more power gain I will gwet with the fmf slipon? I took this bike out today trail riding and street riding. This bike is a blast riding it the way it was designed to be ridden. I realize it not my 300xcw ktm in the woods. But it is so practical.

I did remove the spark arrester today. It is loud. But it does add noticable snap to the bike. I wonder how much more power gain I will gwet with the fmf slipon? I took this bike out today trail riding and street riding. This bike is a blast riding it the way it was designed to be ridden. I realize it not my 300xcw ktm in the woods. But it is so practical.

I agree, these machines are a blast to ride. Incredibly fun.:worthy:

I think you know that snap / throttle response is not the same as more "power gain". It makes it feel more alive, doesn't it.

If you haven't opened the intake along with the exhaust, nobody here, as far as I know, can say whether you are making any power at all, with either no end cap or an FMF. It may be the intake has to be opened up at the same time to see any max hp gains. It probably helps a little. The 5 lb weight loss of the FMF vs stock is good for 1% better acceleration, if nothing else.👍

If you have opened the intake and exhaust but haven't modified the fueling, you're running pretty lean. The FI doesn't adjust that much.

The following is a table for reduction of permanent noise-induced hearing loss. It's loudness vs exposure time.

Decibel Levels.............................. Max. Exposure

85 dB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 hours

88 dB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4 hours

91 dB. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. 2 hours

94 dB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 hour

97 dB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30 minutes

100 dB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15 minutes

103 dB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 7-1/2 minutes

106 dB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3-3/4 minutes

Two aftermarket companies (FMF and LV) have measured the stock exhaust at 88 dB. The FMF Q4 is listed as being between 93-96 dB. The FMF PB is louder than 96 dB, they don't say how much.

May I suggest wearing earplugs under your helmet, and handing them out to people near you.