Sign in to follow this  

new DRZ-400 SM Owner. Where to begin!?

I just bought a 2006 DRZ-400 SM w/ 1200 miles on it. It's bone stock. I've done a ton of searching, but I don't know the simple things that I should do first. I've got an idea of where to start...but it also seems like there are some standard things that people do. I've read the FAQ, and am planning on doing most of the things mentioned there.

What I'm going to do first:

1) Remove the Ca Smog crap! I've found the thread detailing how to do it

2) Edge Tailight (or?)

3) Lighten the bike up a little, not sure what I should take off?

4) I eventually want a Yoshi RS-2 exhaust, jet kit, and intake. Should I do the 3x3 mod now or when I do the performance stuff?

5) Gearing? Should I leave the stock gearing? I mainly ride on the street

6) Clutch and Brake Levers - should I stick with the stock levers or ?

7) Why does everyone change out the speedo?

8) Mirrors - have a few subscribed threads regarding mirrors so I think I'm good to go with those

9) I'll probably replace the stock headlight at some point. Acerbis Cyclops?

Anything else I'm missing? I LOVE the bike! First purchase is going to be a leather jacket, gloves, boots, and eventually a street helmet.

1) Glad I don't live in Cali

2) or nothing, go with the edge

3) Handle bar weights, all the reflectors, tool kit.....etc.

4) if you do the 3x3 you need to re-jet. Pull out the snorkle now at least

5) For street use stock is fine. Alot of high speed stuff might wanna change it

6) Zeta levers

7) I dunno why...stock is fine for me

8) anything is better the stock ones

9) go for it....alot of people have that one.

MCCT and some case savers are a good move. Change the oil often and enjoy!

1) Definitely.

2) The Edge is pretty nice. Make sure to get the Edge Tail Light Holder. it's made for the SM/S models. Every once in awhile someone orders the Edge 2, which is universal. it still works, but the one made for the SM/S is a simple bolt on affair. it's the 4th one down on this page:

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop?action=category&cat_id=72

3) Basic stuff is the reflectors, and rubber footpeg inserts. From there it's the helmet lock, passenger pegs, chain guard, toolbag, bar-end weights, and you can keep going as far as you feel comfortable.

4) You have to rejet at the same time you do the 3x3, not do the 3x3 and then rejet later. Rejet before starting the bike after cutting the opening, or you'll be lean.

5)If you're going to do a lot of highway/interstate riding, a 16T driven brand c/s sprocket is a popular mod. Or go down to 38 or 39 on the rear, whichever you prefer. The stock chain works w/ the front sprocket change. You'll need to shorten, or buy a shorter chain for the rear sprocket change most likely.

6)Zeta makes some wonderful pivot levers for the DRZ, even retaining the brake switch:

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/images/IPE6238AAAEAAAx2NsAAAAAB-44065.jpg

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop?action=category&cat_id=70

7) Not everyone does. it's a tad optomistic on the speed, but the odo is fairly accurate. Some people like the Trailtech Vapor. It has a tach and an optional dashboard w/ assignable indicator lights:

http://trailtech.net/indicator_dashboards.html

8) I'm running an APA SuperMoto mirror, very stealthily mounted below the bar, and you can actually see behind you:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/lumpy790/mirror/blackclamp.jpg

9) It's a matter of taste. Most, if not all, aftermarket headlights will not produce as much usable light as the oem headlight.

Congratulations on the SM. They are very fun bikes. 👍

Where are the handlebar weights!?

Also...I was planning on getting the Yoshi RS-2 system. From searching I've seen most people are running the RS-2.

Also...what taillight/blinker kit is this? I PMed the owner of the bike but haven't heard back yet.

IMGP0013.jpg

On the ends of the handlebar. Should be black with screw in the end. Unthread the screw and pull the weight out.

Also...I was planning on getting the Yoshi RS-2 system. From searching I've seen most people are running the RS-2.

Also...what taillight/blinker kit is this? I PMed the owner of the bike but haven't heard back yet.

IMGP0013.jpg

Looks like an R1/R6 light.

Everything that I would say has been said except one simple mod that really made a big difference in looks, at least to me. Get rid of that seat strap! 👍

What you have now or what we were referring to as bar end weight? 👍

What I have now? The black handle bar "savers" ?

Has anyone found that the handguards block the wind well enough in cold weather to invest in a pair for the sm, or just get better gloves?

1) Remove the Ca Smog crap! I've found the thread detailing how to do itDO SO IMMEDIATLEY

2) Edge Tailight (or?)DEFINITELY AND USE 602 BLINKERS OR BIGGER ONES LIKE MINE - SEE GARAGE. THEN YOU WONT NEED AN IC RELAY

3) Lighten the bike up a little, not sure what I should take off? GET USED TO IT, NEVER BE AS LIGHT AS A CR125

4) I eventually want a Yoshi RS-2 exhaust, jet kit, and intake. Should I do the 3x3 mod now or when I do the performance stuff? ALL AT THE SAME TIME - DO YOUR KEIHIN CARB HERE TOO 4-5 HP.

5) Gearing? Should I leave the stock gearing? I mainly ride on the street STICK WITH THE SAME UNTIL AFTER PIPE ETC, THEN DECIDE.

6) Clutch and Brake Levers - should I stick with the stock levers or ? ZETA'S ARE GREAT FOPR THE PRICE. 2 FINGER ONES FIT ALL HANDGUARDS.

7) Why does everyone change out the speedo? NOT THAT MANY DO UNLESS THEY WANT A TACH, JUST MOD HAPPY ONES DO.

8) Mirrors - have a few subscribed threads regarding mirrors so I think I'm good to go with those SCREW A COUPLE SMALL EYEBALL MIRRORS TO THE BACK OF YOUR HANDGUARDS AND CALL IT DONE.

9) I'll probably replace the stock headlight at some point. Acerbis Cyclops? ONLY THING I WOULD REPLACE IT WITH IS AN HID. MOST AFTERMARKETS ARE NOT THAT BRIGHT.

Anything else I'm missing? I LOVE the bike! First purchase is going to be a leather jacket, gloves, boots, and eventually a street helmet.

CASE SAVERS, RAD GUARDS AND A REAR RACK. ALL NECESSITIES.

For headlight the acerbic led is nice and you can throw an led light in it or go with a Baja designs kit with a squadron ore installed just remember  squadrons are so bright you could get hassled by cops depending which state you’re in. If you go to LED route like I did you still get high and low beam so no issue there losing your beams.

For headlight the acerbic led is nice and you can throw an led light in it or go with a Baja designs kit with a squadron ore installed just remember  squadrons are so bright you could get hassled by cops depending which state you’re in. If you go to LED route like I did you still get high and low beam so no issue there losing your beams.
11 years late to the party Chief.
  • Haha 2

Start simple, k&n sir filter , fenderelimnator kit and you can plug an led light bulb directly in,so much better day and night. if you want mrd exhaust are drz specific  but very loud yet while cheap for a full system, about 500 bucks  compared to 1200 for a full fmf. you don't want just a slip on cause the. header.is so constrictive. Definitely gets jet kit I have a jdj et kit and it was a home run first try. I work at a shop called ride now social andcoouod get your a full yoshimura pipe cheap. So air filter jet kit then next exhaust. Maybe a renthal fat bar handlebar there comfy and strong