Sign in to follow this  

E vs S/SM base gasket... worth the teardown to swap?

I recently had an Athena BB kit and Hot Cams installed on my 06 SM. The bike already had FCR 39mm carb, 3x3, JD kit and full Yosh RS3. The Athena kit was installed with the S/SM base gasket. Obviously the bike is much improved over the stock bore/cams, but now I'm wondering if I should have gone with the E base gasket?

Will the E base gasket make much difference?

Or should I say, is it worth doing considering I'll be paying a mechanic to do the work? (as opposed to me screwing it up)

Will the bump in compression effect reliability/longevity for street ridden SM that's regularly beaten like a red headed stepchild?

Should I just shut up and ride it? 👍

Thanks

Just shut up and ride it. (your words)

Save the gasket swap for when you swap in the stroker crank.

Eddie, thanks for the quick reply. I was already planning on taking the bike to my mechanic soon for some other work, looks like a base gasket swap will be added to the to-do list. 👍

Good to know. My bike definitely was improved from idle to redline over the stock bore/cams, but somehow I had expected a bit more... know I know where to find it. 👍

No worries on reliability/longevity with the increased compression?

it will be fine especially with the cams.

the bike i had in yesterday was built by some one else.it runs ok,but not like they do with full compression.

it will be fine especially with the cams.

the bike i had in yesterday was built by some one else.it runs ok,but not like they do with full compression.

Good to know.

All right you had me convinced with your first post... but now I *really* want to get it done and see what I'm missing!