Black goop leaking from my silencer!

Hey guys. I'm a new guy so forgive me for the dumb questions. I have had YZ400's in the past so two strokes are kinda new to me. I recently bought a 97 YZ250. Doing all the maintanance to it I noticed a fair amount of black goop leaking from the seams of the silecer. I was checking the power valve assy. and noticed that the oil seal looks a little sloppy. Could this be my goop problem? Is oil leaking into the exhaust port from the power valve? Thanks in advance for your help. Dave

The powervalve in the pre 99 bikes does not seal up very well. It will always leak a bit. Thats true even with new gaskets. Its no problem at all. It has to have some oil leaking to keep it lubricated. Its a very easy design to deal with. If th epipe is off you can clean it completly in under 5 minutes.

What Yamathump said abotu jetting is right on the money.

Whens the last time the siolencer was repacked? I would start with a repack on the silencer. Its cheap and can make a difference. I would then check the jetting.....

what he said. jet your bike for the altitude where you ride and start over with a fresh silencer re-pack. next to clean air filter, this is the cheapest place to start. ๐Ÿ‘ if you ride a lot of single line tight trail, it will load up but once you hit some open stuff, get on the throttle, it will clean itself out.

Whens the last time the siolencer was repacked? I would start with a repack on the silencer. Its cheap and can make a difference. I would then check the jetting.....
ride it like you stole it and the spooge will be gone, ride it like your grandma and you will have lots of spooge:thumbsup:
what he said. jet your bike for the altitude where you ride and start over with a fresh silencer re-pack. next to clean air filter, this is the cheapest place to start. :worthy: if you ride a lot of single line tight trail, it will load up but once you hit some open stuff, get on the throttle, it will clean itself out.

Not meaning to start a war here but PLEASE think about WHY the silencer is getting loaded up with spooge. What causes spooge? According to you three - riding it like a grandma on single track trails. If that were the case then all pro enduro riders and trials riders would have spooge too. Do they have it? NO. Why? Because they tune their bikes through jetting. Jetting is in no way expensive.

It's like doing burn outs with a car and someone stops to wonder why the tread doesn't last very long and someone says "Oh, just put on a heavier rubber compound and the tires won't wear down at all". The silencer packing material is getting soaked because there's spooge. Rich jetting causes spooge. Rant off.:busted:๐Ÿ‘

Yup

2T's don't load up from riding tight terrain....same old 2T myth by running improper jetting....

They load up/foul/spooge through improper tuning which is usually jetting.

The less likely culprits are leaky gaskets/seals/rings/reeds/float valves.

As an example, on my last ride I had a section of 90 min. solid tight single track.....

Never out of 2nd. gear or above about 6K rpm or above 3/4 throttle.

Not a drop of spooge with 32:1 yamalube.....crisp and ran perfectly throughout.

I have never fouled a plug on this YZ250.

But the bike is jetted right. The side benefit is it also gets great mileage from the jetting.

Not meaning to start a war here but PLEASE think about WHY the silencer is getting loaded up with spooge. What causes spooge? According to you three - riding it like a grandma on single track trails. If that were the case then all pro enduro riders and trials riders would have spooge too. Do they have it? NO. Why? Because they tune their bikes through jetting. Jetting is in no way expensive.

It's like doing burn outs with a car and someone stops to wonder why the tread doesn't last very long and someone says "Oh, just put on a heavier rubber compound and the tires won't wear down at all". The silencer packing material is getting soaked because there's spooge. Rich jetting causes spooge. Rant off.:blah::busted:

๐Ÿ‘:worthy: guess you missed the part about jetting for altitude where the guy rides.

It's like doing burn outs with a car and someone stops to wonder why the tread doesn't last very long and someone says "Oh, just put on a heavier rubber compound and the tires won't wear down at all". The silencer packing material is getting soaked because there's spooge. Rich jetting causes spooge. Rant off.:worthy:๐Ÿ‘

Well nowhere did i say he was riding like a grandma, so i dont know why you included me on your rant. So what you are saying is a cloged and well overdue silencer repack cannot contribute too spooge build up? If you dont think a silencer thats never been repacked, and has seen years of use doesnt need a repack and isnt a good place to start then more power to you. But if it was me and my bike all of a sudden it was acting as if it needed to be jetted without me making any changes to the bike i would start with the small things before just rejetting or making drastic adjustments. Just my .02 cents.....

๐Ÿ‘:worthy: guess you missed the part about jetting for altitude where the guy rides.
Well nowhere did i say he was riding like a grandma, so i don't know why you included me on your rant. So what you are saying is a clogged and well overdue silencer repack cannot contribute to spooge build up? If you don't think a silencer thats never been repacked, and has seen years of use doesn't need a repack and isn't a good place to start then more power to you. But if it was me and my bike all of a sudden it was acting as if it needed to be jetted without me making any changes to the bike i would start with the small things before just rejetting or making drastic adjustments. Just my .02 cents.....

Sorry for lumping you all together.:busted: I mistook you for the riding the bike like grandma concept. Of course packing which is saturated and overdue for a change will contribute to spooge buildup - BUT what caused it to get soaked with oil in the first place?? Grandma riding? Single track riding? No, rich jetting. Yes, silencer packing needs a changing something similar to the intervals noted below.:D

repack.jpg

Yes, I would check the packing but if found to be oil soaked the culprit is - you guessed right - rich jetting. Simply putting in new packing won't solve this. :blah:

Just thought I would add that I am stopping tommorow to pickup new packing for the silencer. It can't hurt. I do believe it is a jetting issue. Idle is not quite rignt, midrange sputters and little when maintaning speed, but full throttle is right on. I cleaned the air filter right after I bought it. I just checked the reeds and cage, both are fine. Also just checked the float hieght, and it is right in spec. About .280" from the carb base. And just for grins I'm replacing the oil seals in the power valve.

My bike is properly jetted and some times I spend two days straight in 1st gear with my boy learning on his 50, and I check the plug perfect, and no spooge. Right, it's not how you drive but how your machine is tuned.