Sign in to follow this  

Is the '07 R head worth it?

Yesterday while riding some very technical rocks, my bike started to have trouble starting whenever I stalled. Fortunatly I was going downhill on a steep pass as the problem got worse and I was able to coast to my truck. Sure enough when i checked the valves this morning the right intake was almost zeroed out. I shimmed it back to spec and it started right up. 176 hours on one valve adjustment seems pretty good to me, although I know I'm on borrowed time with these valves now.

My question is, should I simply cut the seats on the '06 head and run another stock valve set up or upgrade to an '07 R possibly with RHC valves and springs? Will the improved flow and reliability be noticable or should I save my money?

I'm running an 04 X with TR 270 kit, Stage 1 Hotcam, JD jet kit, Dr D pipe and all cc mods

nope! do not replace the entire head, do all CCC mods and add an R piston and rings! I learned this from the local engine modifier around me and he told me that the R and X head were the same, but putting on the higher compression piston allows for about another 2 to 3 horse. I dont know about you, but that seems to be a cheap mod for 3 horsies

So what do you think Agent Smith? Would you spend the extra $250 for a '07/'08 R head instead of reusing an '06 X?

So what do you think Agent Smith? Would you spend the extra $250 for a '07/'08 R head instead of reusing an '06 X?

That depends on your needs and wants out of this head. The main diff is the AIS on ths ports changes flow dramatically. The 06 R head was a better material in RHCs opinion because it was a harder material.

I'm always looking for some extra power. I just need to know that I will feel the extra $200 worth of parts from an '07/'08 head.

Does service Honda sell both the '07 and '08 still? The '08 is part # 12010-KRN-A10. What is the '07 number? Thanks for your help guys.

Thanks, that makes up my mind. Unless of course anyone has any info on the upcomming '09 heads?

Put an 07 head, cam and high compression piston on my 04 X. Made a huge difference. More power everywhere and better tractor ability in nasty stuff.

Only down side, I'm running race gas (110) mix which is more expensive then straight pump gas. We can only get 91 in Cali.

I think you'll like it.

You will get more power from an R head...period. Whether it is $ 200.00 more power or not is your call. Getting your seats cut and guides replaced is gonna be at least $ 150.00. So really, you are looking at less than $ 100 for the additional power.

The '08 is part # 12010-KRN-A10 and is $ 252.16.

The '07 is part # 12010-KRN-A00 and is $ 217.28.

So the total cost on something like the 08 head would be a min of 350? Or am I misreading your statement?

Put an 07 head, cam and high compression piston on my 04 X. Made a huge difference. More power everywhere and better tractor ability in nasty stuff.

Only down side, I'm running race gas (110) mix which is more expensive then straight pump gas. We can only get 91 in Cali.

I think you'll like it.

Why are you running race gas? I have the same set up ported with hotcam stage 1 and run fine on 91.Not needed to the OP.

The 06 R head defaults to the 07R Part number right?

One thing to keep in mind,if you want to keep your smog pump?AIS system you will need an X head.I understand that the 08 X head is fairly close to the R head in porting.No?👍

I have an 07 R model head on my 2005 X model, and it is night and day better. This head gives real down low snap and is way faster than my other CRF250X which is an 06 model. So yes, get the R model head and be very happy.

ported 07 head, 08 cam, oem valves, good exhaust, 280 kit, and my little honda is the ducks guts. Money can buy a bike this good. All the hp you will ever need and some to spare.👍

nope! do not replace the entire head, do all CCC mods and add an R piston and rings! I learned this from the local engine modifier around me and he told me that the R and X head were the same, but putting on the higher compression piston allows for about another 2 to 3 horse. I dont know about you, but that seems to be a cheap mod for 3 horsies

It would be tough for him to replace his piston with an R model when he has a TR270 kit...

RTFP before giving advice. Especially incorrect advice.

-JP

great thread.

I just scored an 04 250x

Scored it semi cheap because the motor locked up solid during Friday SM practice this past weekend.

I'm assuming that one of the valves dropped and locked the piston.

If this is the case, I will likely go with the 07 head swap as descibed by AgentSmith.

Is this still a direct bolt on with an 04x?

Also, should I also get the OEM R piston and cams or look aftermarket?

CRF newb here, will search when I'm not rushing to get to work, but TIA for now!!

sweet...one last Q

that part number that you supplied for the head, that can't possibly be for a complete head?

what would that part number come with besides the head? hopefully, more than just valve seats....?

Thanks Ramz as usual your info is a lifesaver. I used it to get a order together for Service Honda. The total as of yesterday was $510 in parts for an oem '07 head and valves. My local shop charges about $120 to assemble the head so total is $650 without installation on the bike.

Then I called Ron at RHC and he quoted me $715 for an '07 head with his SS intake valves and springs shipped to my door. $50 more and I get longer valve life and I don't have to worry about ordering all those individual parts from Service Honda. Looks like I'm going with an '07 RHC head! Thanks for all the info and help guys.

Anyone need a slightly used '06X head with bad valves!!??

Thanks Ramz as usual your info is a lifesaver. I used it to get a order together for Service Honda. The total as of yesterday was $510 in parts for an oem '07 head and valves. My local shop charges about $120 to assemble the head so total is $650 without installation on the bike.

Then I called Ron at RHC and he quoted me $715 for an '07 head with his SS intake valves and springs shipped to my door. $50 more and I get longer valve life and I don't have to worry about ordering all those individual parts from Service Honda. Looks like I'm going with an '07 RHC head! Thanks for all the info and help guys.

Anyone need a slightly used '06X head with bad valves!!??

👍 Post up with your thoughts on the new head when you're finished with the rebuild!

-JP