Sign in to follow this  

Hard Starting CRF250 Solution

I have been following the threads on the hard starting problems of the 2008 Honda CRF250R with great interest. We have experienced the same problem that others have reported concerning the absolute refusal of that particular year to start without major drama. Oddly, some report that their 250’s start with no problem, but the more people I speak to with that year, the more I hear the same complaint.

In the past I have always used R&D PowerBowl and more recently his Flex Jet remote fuel screw. On our Kawasaki, the PowerBowl solved myriad little problems and made a good bike even better. I automatically installed them on our CRF250R and CRF450R as a matter of course. I was speaking to Dean about the starting issue, and the more we discussed it, the more I could see the wheels turning in his head. Dean is a very sharp fellow when it comes to carburetors and fuel systems. I have spent over 40 years in the fuel system arena and have to confess that sometimes, he talks WAY over my head. Fortunately, he hears the silence on the other end of the line and backs it down a notch so that I can follow along.

The upshot is that in the course of this hard start conversation, Dean appears to have sorted out the real problem with this and come up with another solution that promises to alleviate the problem once and for all without any major surgery or modification. I’m not sure if he’s ready to go to market, but if you have been having starting problems with your Honda, I would recommend that you give him a call, or send him an email.

I don’t work for Dean and am not affiliated with R&D racing outside of the fact that I am a strong supporter of his products. I recommend things that work, nothing more. My experience with R&D has been a good one and passing on helpful info is one of my strong beliefs.

His email is r1dean@att.net and his website is http://www.r1dean.com/

You can tell him that Jim Harvey from Austin Harvey Racing recommended you, or just say that you saw it on Thumper Talk. He’s a really nice fellow and more than helpful with getting you sorted out.

Jim Harvey

Austin Harvey Racing

2007 AMA / Toyota Trucks Arenacross East Champion

I recently got a change to stick the Boyesen Quick shot 2 on my 08. Along with Ron Hamps decompression mod (decomp mod done a long time ago) the bike now starts great. With the decompressor mod I was still having troubles starting the bike at times, but was tonnes better than stock. I am running tighter valve clearances as well. .008" exh and .004 and .005 intakes.

I think it did also improve the response out on the track also. You could get on the gas at lower rpms w/out hesitation. I have a 45 leak jet w/ the QS2. May go to a 40 if I am bored and want to yank the float bowl.

So two faults on the stock bikes I think, the OEM decompression arm and the accl pump cover.

I did get a chance to install the merge racing adjustable leak jet on a 08 for someone, and man is that nice. You can dial the fuel screw first then leak jet... I turn it in around 1/2 turn richer from the std 1 turn out and the bike has perfect throttle response on the stand. I want one 👍 or even a R&D power pump.

actually . . . . just pulled mine out of my buddies shed after sitting for 2 months because i couldnt ride after almost losing my thumb up at work. dont play with knives kids :busted:, seriously:naughty: . brought it back to my house. draind the carb with the fuel on for a bit so it would get leftover crap out of the picture. gave it seven pumps of gas, no choke (it was 98 outside), didnt start. gave it 3 more pumps, found TDC, kicked it, fired right up. only thing on my carb is a QS2 👍, and i put that on to get rid of hot stall problems out in the desert. stock jetting, just a new fuel screw but its 2 turns out.:worthy:

Would be interested in what Dean has to say...can't you just post it on here?? I have an email in to him but no response yet. I need to get this dialed as I may race some H.S.'s with my 08' yet this fall...have NOT done the decompressor mod yet. So far it's sounding like the QS2 really helps??

I run a crf250r and race H.S.'s. The only carb mods I have are a Quickshot 2 and a MSR fuel mixture screw.

When I ride I usually have to adjust the MSR fuel mixture screw -/+ a 1/4 turn, depending on temp and humidity.

Most of the guys I know prefer the 250 over the 450 just becouse of the weight and in a hare scramble its not like you will have it wide open very often.