Sign in to follow this  

XR650L Dyno sheets for FAQ

megacyclecaminfopower.jpg

Here is the dyno results of a motor that is kind of our dyno mule. These runs were done on a dynojet 250i chassis dyno. By the way if you look at the run you see a run called bad cam. This is also for all of you people with a megacycle 173X12 camshaft. I know this is a popular camshaft but they have been discountinued. Way back ago we were using the 12 cam thought nothing of it put it in and go we did about 20 of our production bikes with them. I decided to do a full measurement on the cam set up about a year ago. The lift at the valve was not what they had on the card. intake valve was lifting what the exhaust was lifting and the intake was the opposite. so the intake valve was not lifting as high as the exhaust on ALL 173X12. measured all motors with them sure enough. Told megacycle, they thought I was measuring it wrong. Sent them one of our heads rockercovers. All of our 173X12 cam, and our measureing fixtures. they have since destroyed the masters for the old 173X12 camshaft. returned our measuring device and have made three different custom grinds for us. I WIN! Trying a new grind next week.

Bike has a cutom exhaust not ment for off road riding. pectel fuel injection, 706 cc with dual butterfly throttle body.

megacyclecaminfotorque.jpg

tried a new exhaust last week we are now at 49.8 foot lbs.

I'd be interested in a "ball park" figure of an L's HP with Dave's mods, exhaust/header, decorked, desmogged. Anyone hazard a guess? I know the variables are many, I'm just curious what the minimum gains might be.👍

I'd be interested in a "ball park" figure of an L's HP with Dave's mods, exhaust/header, decorked, desmogged. Anyone hazard a guess? I know the variables are many, I'm just curious what the minimum gains might be.👍

My guess is mid to upper 30's, like 36 or 37.

Stepho can you give us a list of what was done to get to 60hp? That's nuts. How long does the transmission last with that kind of torque? I know when Honda built 670cc or so XR600's the engine would not hold together for a Baja 1000.

Keep in mind that stepho said it was a chassis dyno. That is 60hp at the wheel! Add another ~18-20% for driveline loss and that's in 70+bhp territory.

About a month ago a guy posted his dyno results with a basically stock "L", uncorked and the dyno runs were between 36 and 39 hp IF I remember correctly.

42.5hp with 37 ft lbs. when I get to work on monday I will post what my personal bike xrl did with,

stock piston

megacycle cam

fcr carb bored to 43mm

no airbox

ported head

ti spring retainers

hi performance valve springs

stock header with welds ground

E2 white bros.

electrex stator

took .010 off the deck.

I had a crack from the exhaust valve seat to the spark plug so i am in complete teardown mode, bought a new head, new cyl. one of our pistons

ever since we started CASE processing the gears we have not broke any! We have not broken a gear since 1999. (knock on morning wood).

here is the dyno sheet i said 42.5 i was wrong ( maybe with more tire pressure)

stephoxrlpower.jpg AND

stephoxrltorque.jpg

Good info Stepho, Thanks! This is the megacycle I got from Barnum's a few years ago. 👍 I don't think my old bike could handle any more. :worthy:

DSCN0350.jpg

I find it hard to believe a cam card without checking everyone by myself after that.