Sign in to follow this  

Question for the womenfolk. :D

My new GF wants to learn how to ride and her birthday is coming up. Would it be appropriate to buy her gear and call it her birthday present?

I can't figure out what the heck else to get her, so I thought maybe this would be okay. I figured I'd check with someone who would know first though. lol

I have a feeling this relationship is going to be a lasting one, otherwise I wouldn't be tempted to buy her boots and stuff.

Thanks,

Ryan

Go for it, that's what my fiance did for me, he helped me with the basics, like a helmet and jacket, but that's what got me started. Soon enough my engagement gift was a xt225! Don't go that extreme, lol, but I never would have started unless he pushed me and got me started. Do you now what she is looking for? I actually have some really nice gloves with the kevlar knuckles that I never wore because they were to big. They are an x-small. If your interested let me know.

I'll have to compare her hands to mine to see if xsmall would work. I've got short fingers so i wear a small glove. I guess I could just have her try mine on. lol.

Thanks.

There was someone in the classified selling a new pair of MSR boots that are her size. Waiting to see if they still have them. 👍

She's already getting my old helmet, only 5 months old so it's like new. When I saw the Fox V3's for sale dirt cheap I couldn't resist getting one. lol. 👍

I don't think she minds getting my hand me downs. lol She already wears my old leather jacket for when we are on the street. 👍

make sure your old helmet actually FITS HER properly. Even tho it's a good helmet and like new, it could do more damage than a cheapo, but properly fitting helmet from walmart.

Same thing with boots, she has to try them on. Or end up like me. Go back a page and look for the thread called "D'oh!". I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record around here about it but I'm trying to help others avoid what I'm going through right now.

Personally my suggestion would be, get her something small like gloves and wrap it up and she can open those. Then explain to her your taking her on a mini shopping spree so she can pick out the gear that fits her the best. That's what I would do if I were you.

I'm going to make sure my helmet fits her. We wear the same size street helmet, so it should.

As far as the shopping spree, she'd never let me spend that much money one her. Although I guess we could always go try the stuff on first and then go from there.

I was hoping my A*'s would fit her, but they were just a tad to big. She wears a Size 9 in womens' shoes.

The riding gear sounds like a great present.

Where are you in Iowa? I ride at riverview most of the time.

.... She wears a Size 9 in womens' shoes.

If your interested i've got some Tech6 boots in a men's size 8 that'll fit her i'm sure.....used for one season and in great condition...fwiw

Women's gear is so different on fit, and sizing from brand to brand can be different too. See what the prices for a set of gear are, then get a gift certificate or a gift card. If you want something for her to open, print a picture of her and a picture of some gear and put them together (if you can't find the whole outfit together, you can piece, or if you can find someone modeling the outfit, paste her head on there). Put that in a big box w/the gift card/certificate. 👍 She'll have a ball trying the stuff on for you so you can ooh and ahh over her in her new duds!

Women's gear is so different on fit, and sizing from brand to brand can be different too. See what the prices for a set of gear are, then get a gift certificate or a gift card. If you want something for her to open, print a picture of her and a picture of some gear and put them together (if you can't find the whole outfit together, you can piece, or if you can find someone modeling the outfit, paste her head on there). Put that in a big box w/the gift card/certificate. 👍 She'll have a ball trying the stuff on for you so you can ooh and ahh over her in her new duds!

Good point. I had her try on my Tech 8's just to kinda ballpark her size. They ended up being about an inch too big.

Thanks for the ideas!!!

The riding gear sounds like a great present.

Where are you in Iowa? I ride at riverview most of the time.

I'm in Hiawatha. I bounce back and forth between river view and lake view. I was actually up in you hood thursday! Way too much fun.

Jeez, I wish buying gear for the BF would make him ride... Instead he buys me gear and says "Go for it."

I have wednesday off, so I'l see if she wants to go then.

Thankfully, the only gear I'm biased with is A* boots. 👍

I would suggest the same as above take her shopping then you know exactly what she wants and fits into!

Thats what my husband did for me. Took me shopping and had me pick out/try on EVERYTHING and wrote down what brand/sizes I liked so when x-mas came around he knew what to get me 👍

I agree, take her out shopping and try on NEW gear. Don't buy slightly used stuff, it should be her own. Especially for a gift!

I agree, take her out shopping and try on NEW gear. Don't buy slightly used stuff, it should be her own. Especially for a gift!

I agree with the new gear thing, but our situation is a little fubarred.

I have a money hungry ex who tries to get everything she can, and her ex doesn't seem to want to pay child support. So neither of us have a ton of money.

The pants, jersey and gloves will all be new. I'm going to put my old helmet out of service and let her pick out one she likes so it will be new as well.

Boots are stupidly expensive, and if I/we can get a good pair for not a lot of dough, we will.