Sign in to follow this  

Please help..

Hello, first I wanted to say that yes..I did search and research this subject before posting. However, I didn't get any straight clear cut answers. I'd like to make my 2007 DRZ400E I bought and registered in CA street legal. Here's the skinny...

1) Has Headlights/Tailights

2) Still financed through financed company, but I got green stickers in the mail for it.

Im assuming since I got the green stickers, in order to get my street legal plate I need the following:

1) Blinkers

2) Mirror

3) street tires

is this all that is required? or am I not even going to be able to do this. Thanks for any info! Also if anyone could shoot me a site with either DIY write up on the conversion or where to get the parts that'd be awesome. I saw the baja kit but im sure there is a cheaper way than that! Im trying to do this as low cost as possible.

If I cant make it street legal, im just gonna try to sell them for the amount I owe on the loan. I dont go off road enough to justify my payments.

I know in IOWA becouse that frame has a off road only VIN # I would have to buy a S moddel frame with a good tital to swap all the parts too to get that bike street leagel

I hear CA is even more strikt

i think it has to be a 2003 and older, if they still let you do it to the oldies. but there is no way you will get that be street legal unless you change the frame.

ok well thanks..

anyone wanna buy two 2007 drz400es ridden maybe 5 or 6 times, for 8k? lol

Where in Cali are you? Some towns are easier than others. Besides the hardware, you need a title that reads street legal.

Pick a plump DMV clerk at your nearest podunk town, wine and dine her, hope and pray, and you might have luck. Or there are a few shops that claim to be able to help guys like you for a healthy fee.

Don't waste your time. California has shut that window down hard as of 2004. You can thank Governer Arnold for that. I know, because I've tried. Impossible. c good

i'd keep an eye out on craigslist and ebay for a S model frame. might take a few months but you'll come across one. then just swap the frames. it might take 5 hours to swap the frames total and maybe $300 for a used frame. beats having a repo on your credit...... trust me.

The problem in California with swapping frames is that the DMV confirms Engine ID with frame VIN. If they don't match, no go! Not many other states do this but California is tough on things this way because of theft and to make people conform to Emissions. They also check for a special CA and Fed compliant emisssions sticker. California sucks. Don't ask me how I know!👍 c good

jesus, what the hell is wrong with ca. makes me want to just ride my 400e into the dmv and around the office like some mad max shit.

can you register it in Nevada or something. I know people do it with cars to save on taxes. Luckily here in UT you can street legal just about anything, even two stokes!!

i dunno..maybe AZ? does anyone know if AZ will give me plates? i got some buddies who live there and its only about a 3 hour drive.

i bought my KLX R from AZ and it was tagged there. i know the previous owner also has a XR560R and a WR450 that are tagged.

You would be able to get it plated in Arizona. (But not in the Phoenix Area...they have tougher standards than in California) You would also have to have an Arizona license. If you get stopped in California with the AZ plates, that's the problem. To avoid this problem, what you can do is title the bike in both you and your friend's name from Arizona, title it to say Jon Doe OR John Smith. Then you get a "Power of Attorney" statement from your friend and you can do what you want with the bike. There are some liability issues to consider, make sure you and he both have good insurance. If you get pulled over...oh well, you're borrowing it for a few days. You both ride it. It's kept in Arizona. You just happened to be riding it the day it was a problem. California sucks. c good.

Sorry, I have to ask. A Calif E has a S/SM motor and carb anyway, so why didn't you just buy an S to begin with? 👍

not saying youre incorrect or anything, but why the hell would it be ineligible for plates if it had street legal smog equipment?

becouse at the factory whin adding the VIN # a question pops up

" is this an off road vehicle ( yes - no )?"

and the guy replyed "yes"

not saying youre incorrect or anything, but why the hell would it be ineligible for plates if it had street legal smog equipment?

The bike has to be "Certified" C.A.R.B. (California Air Resources Board) compliant and has to be stickered accordingly. The only way you can get the bike certified is to have it submitted. The manufacturer must submit the bike to C.A.R.B. and this costs approximately $2000. At this point it will not pass otherwise the manufacturer would have already submitted it. That's why there's an "S" model.

I just went through 4 months of hell trying to do something similar and it ended up being a no go. I was lucky because the seller was a friend of mine and we had an agreement that he would take the bike back if I couldn't get it plated.

The only other way I found was with a guy called JoeRacer Products somewhere up in the Sacramento area. I won't give you all the details on his method here but it seems like it would work, I just wasn't 100% comfortable with it. His service is kinda pricey at around $700 but it might be worth doing a search on this forum to find more info on him or even do a google search. HTH c good