Sign in to follow this  

03 drain bolt leak HELP PLZZ!!!!!!!!

g'day all

i stripped the thread in my oil drain bolt and drilled it, retapped it etc and now its still leaking with a normal bolt in it with 2 copper washers and tightened it up, but im 100% sure i havnt stripped it cos it still wants to go tighter,

any suggestions? would be much appreciated

try using one washer instead of two, also if u drilled the hole crooked the shoulder on the head of the bolt might not be butting up against the case evensly causing a leak, try some liquid teflon to seal the threads, what are u torquing the bolt to?

What did you use to re-tap? I had the same problem and used a time-sert. Their system works well. They made it easy to drill it straight. I agree with earlier reply--check to see that the tap is straight and the bolt lies flat when you tighten it without a washer. If it is crooked you might be best off re-tapping it. Good luck

As a quick fix, I used plumer wrap/tape (the thin rubber stuff to make plumbing screws water tight) for my oil drain bolt. I wouldn't recommend it as a permanent fix, but I used it before a race and nothing leaked. I wrapped the screw 4-5 times with the tape and it worked fine. I also have cut a peice of old tire rubber and used that instead of a washer and it kept my buddies oil from leaking on his 450. Again a temp fix.