Sign in to follow this  

1996 DR200 exhaust and intake questions

I am in need of a muffler for this bike? We just purchased the bike, which runs great, however the previous owner cut about 2-3" off the end of the stock muffler to improve perfomance (I guess) and we need a stock or other spark arresting muffler inorder to ride the bike in the national forest. Any ideas?

Also, they removed the whole stock air box and just put a filter on the inlet of the carb. This is obviously not a good thing if we are going to hit and water/mud. So, is there any other stock airboxes that will work, so I can keep an eye for a used one? Maybe a DR350 or something?

Thanks for your help as this bike is my 14 year old brother-in-law's and he obviously doesn't have much cash and is trying to keep costs to a minimum.

Thanks,

Chris

I'm a 200 fan and saw your post. I like these Supertrapps because they are tunable and simple to install with a little welding help to make an adaptor pipe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Exhaust-Supertrapp-Silencer_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35596QQihZ019QQitemZ290256749021QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Small-supertrapp-muffler_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34284QQihZ007QQitemZ170255316056QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Personally, I like the second one better since its smaller and easier to fit into tight spots. I put one of these on my DR350 and have another to put on my DR200 as well.

Sorry but I didn't see any DR200 airboxes on ebay. I may go to my local yard tomorrow, and I'll look for one for you.

Thanks so much for looking! If you run across one please let me know...I will definitely pick it up from you.

I purchased a FMF TurbineCore2 universal kit and it fit really well. One bend of the pipe and it bolted right on.

Thanks,

Chris

how's the response as compared to the stock muffler? any changes to the speed? do you have a video to see how it look and sounds like? Sorry to come in with lots of qs but just wondering as i have a cobra pipe fitted and wanna see the difference.

I will try to get pics and a video this weekend. It fit pretty well. It is not too loud...definitely quieter than it was when we bought it with the hacked stock muffler. I can't tell a difference in power between this Spark Arresting muffler and the hacked stocker either.

isnt the turbinecore2 a 2 stroke exhaust?

Yes it is, and I was concerned that it would be too loud because of this. Turns out that it is not too loud and if it was, then you could always install some 4-stroke packing and it should quiet it down.

I just put a fmf turbine core 2 on my dr200 and the pipe fits fine, but its really loud! any ideas of how to make it quieter?

I will try to get pics and a video this weekend. It fit pretty well. It is not too loud...definitely quieter than it was when we bought it with the hacked stock muffler. I can't tell a difference in power between this Spark Arresting muffler and the hacked stocker either.

how? any pics or vids? i really would like to view it before getting it. :excuseme: