Sign in to follow this  

cheap DR650 shock springs..

I know Kientech sells springs but they need the adapter to fit and cost $130. For some reason they are using a shorter spring and need the adapter, does anyone know the dimensions of the spring they use?

It appears the stock spring is 2.5 ID by about 10 inches long as best I can measure, Does anyone have one off the shock so they can measure the free length? The stock spring rate is 6.5 kg (365 lb) and I'm told I need a 7.2- 7.6 (400-425 lb) for my 150 lb weight

These are available here for only $55.00, and they appear to be the correct size? Am I missing something????

http://www.eshocks.com/hyp_make.asp

I know Kientech sells springs but they need the adapter to fit and cost $130. For some reason they are using a shorter spring and need the adapter, does anyone know the dimensions of the spring they use?

It appears the stock spring is 2.5 ID by about 10 inches long as best I can measure, Does anyone have one off the shock so they can measure the free length? The stock spring rate is 6.5 kg (365 lb) and I'm told I need a 7.2- 7.6 (400-425 lb) for my 150 lb weight

These are available here for only $55.00, and they appear to be the correct size? Am I missing something????

Measured from a taken off stock spring. ID is 2.25", and length is 10"

👍

Am I missing something????

I've got a 7.6 spring(purchased from Kientech) sitting here so I decided to measure it after reading your thread. The free height on it is right at 11" and the measurement on the aluminum adapter O.D. which indexes on the I.D. of the spring is 2.180" . As I recall the difference between this spring and the stock one is the inside diameter........which was just confirmed by the previous post. The Eibach spring will not fit onto the stock Suzuki bottom spring holder which holds/centers the sping on the bottom of the shock........ hence the need for the custom machined aluminum piece. PM me if you need more details.

Thanks,.. I thought I measured about 2 3/8 Id but it was installed so maybe it grows a bit??

it would appear that KienTech must be using the 2.25 x 9 springs and making a one inch spacer. I'll look to see if the 2.5 ID springs will hit anything on the outside, if not they should be much easier to make some kind of centering rings since the length is correct.

Whoa,.. posted at the same time. I noticed now that the stock shock has sort of a spacer already on the bottom so the KeinTech one just replaces it. I assumed they did that to be able to use a shorter spring, but it appears their spring is actually an inch longer.

I'm a machinist so spacers are no problem, just looking for a cheap spring that can be adapted.

Whoa,.. posted at the same time. I noticed now that the stock shock has sort of a spacer already on the bottom so the KeinTech one just replaces it. I assumed they did that to be able to use a shorter spring, but it appears their spring is actually an inch longer.

I'm a machinist so spacers are no problem, just looking for a cheap spring that can be adapted.

I see a 10" and a 12" spring listed in the link you posted. The spring I have was used for a very short period of time.........less than 300 miles and not punished at all. Sooo I don't know if it's possible that a spring would take a 1" set in that period of usage but it definitely is exactly at 11" free height.

Being as how your a machinist..........start looking for some 3" aluminum round stock in your "stock availability".