1990 cr250 crank rod replacement.

I have owned the bike since New but I have never replaced the big-end bearing on the crankshaft. I have no up and down play but the side-to-side play is out of spec. I want to replace the rod and big-end bearing myself. Can someone give me advice on how to do this? I have a 2 ton press and realize the need to true the crank. I would like t oreplace the whole crankshaft assembly but OEM is too expensive and HotRod only sells a rod replacement.

• 1 month later...

Replace the crank with a new Honda crank. You will spend $100 for a rod kit (pro x) and another $100 on labor to rebuild it. You can get a new one for close to the same price. Do not buy aftermarket cranks. They are not comparable to the Honda quality.

Unless you have spent many hours practising how to rebuild a crank and have mastered it, I would not recommend you attempting this. Most Honda crankshafts have a tin metal cover. This outer cover cannot be molested. The guys that do rebuild these types of cranks, saw through the big end, so that they can push out the pin, from the inside out. This is an attempt at not to disturb the tin outer cover. This is very risky. I do not think that this is something to do for a weekend project.

I just bought a new Honda crank for my 87 cr125. I paid $240. I measured the runout and it is a .005. It is ready to run out of the box.