Sign in to follow this  

XR650R jetting

I am at approx 800' altitude and will be jetting my 2007 XR650R very soon. The bike will have the stock carb & pipe, but will be uncorked with a billet end cap in place of the stock spark arrester. I will also uncork the airbox, use a no-toil air filter and I have the 68s pilot jet and 53e needle. What main jet should I use? I checked a chart and it was anywhere from 170 up to 175 on the main jet for normal riding temperatures. I have a 172 & 175, should I use one of these or do I need a different size? Any advice is appreciated.

Dan

Oklahoma

I am at approx 800' altitude and will be jetting my 2007 XR650R very soon. The bike will have the stock carb & pipe, but will be uncorked with a billet end cap in place of the stock spark arrester. I will also uncork the airbox, use a no-toil air filter and I have the 68s pilot jet and 53e needle. What main jet should I use? I checked a chart and it was anywhere from 170 up to 175 on the main jet for normal riding temperatures. I have a 172 & 175, should I use one of these or do I need a different size? Any advice is appreciated.

Dan

Oklahoma

Make sure you replace the carb insulator with the HRC unit or the fruits of your labor will be worthless. For the jets, you can try either one. I'm using the 175 and I'm about the same altitute.

I use a #175 mainjet in my BRP-R bike w/the usual 68s pilot & 53E needle with the airbox gut job, etc. @ around 4 to 6 hundred ft. elevation--works great but feels a tad fat. If I wind it out all the way it misfires on top and clears up when I back out of it slightly. Maybe a #172 or 170? Every bike will run differently so try a #175 and see how it performs from there. I use a Big Gun(loudass) full racing system on my thumper from hell and it sure pulls hard with the extra fuel!

Bottom line, jet accordingly to how it wants to run. The most important thing is the correct pilot jet IMHO for easiest starting.........a too-lean slow jet will make for a nasty biyatch to light off cold.

Keep us posted!