Sign in to follow this  

DS Tire Pressure?

Can someone make a recommendation re: proper tire pressure? I recently DS's my 2002 WR250F & mounted DS Kenda's to try them out along with the whole concept of DSing.

It's been recommended I run 30psi but is this the choice of the Forum? Also, since I'm new to DS, what's the procedure when going off-road from such high tire pressure? 30psi seems like a sure get-off in the dirt!

Thx in advance to the Forum. Bob in AZ

I run anywhere between 20-25psi on my DS XT250 for both road and dirt, but if I'm only riding dirt, I'll lower it to 15-17psi. 30psi is a little high for a DS tyre, unless they're primarily street tyres with a non-aggressive tread. Lower it to about 23 and try that

If it's alot of back and forth between street and dirt I'll run 20psi. Dirt 12-15psi, highway 30psi. Those little CO2 inflators work well for airing-up quickly, 1 cartridge can air you back up about 2times front and back.

30 is needlessly high.

I run 18 front/22 rear for street, and 14 front/16 rear for pure dirt. For a combination ride, I kind of just split the difference between the two.

Thx for the ideas, guys. I've got some good guidance here & now I'm glad I asked. Bob in AZ

If it's alot of back and forth between street and dirt I'll run 20psi. Dirt 12-15psi, highway 30psi. Those little CO2 inflators work well for airing-up quickly, 1 cartridge can air you back up about 2times front and back.

can you use the CO2 inflators to air up a tire from 14psi to 20psi after a dirt ride? and can you do this multiple times? or are the inflators a one shot use? I gotta look into this more, saw the inflators at the stealership but really did not look too hard at them.

can you use the CO2 inflators to air up a tire from 14psi to 20psi after a dirt ride? and can you do this multiple times? or are the inflators a one shot use? I gotta look into this more, saw the inflators at the stealership but really did not look too hard at them.

I bought a tire repair kit from Aerosticha few years ago for a road bike I had that uses the CO2 cartridge. Yesterday, I went for my first trail ride on my XR650L. I had 22#'s in both tires. Keep in mind these are the stock tires that come with the Xr650L. The first part of this trail was ALL SAND, sand hills, sand berms, sand whoops, I had a misreable time and dropped it many many times. After a while I lowered the pressure to 14#s and did better(I've got to upgrade my tires)

Anyway, it took one cartridge of CO2 for each tire. The front went from 14#'s to 24#'s with one cartridge, so I let out some to hit 22. The rear went from 14#'s to 21.5 with one cartridge.

So, if you go this route, pack 4 cartridges, just to be safe.

Still can't understand why any needs a CO2 set up? I have a 7 inch long bike pump that fills my tubes up in about 10 seconds and forks in 2 pumps. It's perfect for adding on the go. I run 20psi off and 28psi on.

Still can't understand why any needs a CO2 set up? I have a 7 inch long bike pump that fills my tubes up in about 10 seconds and forks in 2 pumps. It's perfect for adding on the go. I run 20psi off and 28psi on.

My tire repair kit is small enough to only take up 1/6th of the stock gear bag's space on the rear fender. It's about 4"X3"X 2" in size. It also has plugs, sealent, patches, CO2 applicator and 6 CO2 cartridges.

I suppose a bike pump would fit into my camelbak, but I don't really like storing things that can shatter and shard on my body.

Can someone make a recommendation re: proper tire pressure? I recently DS's my 2002 WR250F & mounted DS Kenda's to try them out along with the whole concept of DSing.

It's been recommended I run 30psi but is this the choice of the Forum? Also, since I'm new to DS, what's the procedure when going off-road from such high tire pressure? 30psi seems like a sure get-off in the dirt!

Thx in advance to the Forum. Bob in AZ

Which Kenda's? I just got a set of Trackmaster II's for my 250F and haven't mounted them. I had a set on my DRZ, but sold it before I put more than 100 miles on them. With knobbies, I run 12-15 offroad depending on the terrain. On road I run 20-25. I've used a bunch of different knobs on the road and have learned to take it easy for the first hundred miles or so to break the tires in. Seems like I rip off fewer knobs that way. Plus you get a feel for how they ride on the street. If they tend to spin when you start or slide when you stop, lower the pressure some.

Low pressure on long pavement runs means higher heat, which is hard on tubes. So keep that in mind too.

On the WR250F I take a bike pump to fill up after flats or to up the pressure. On the bigger dual sport I have an electric pump.

i only run about 8-10 out back and 10-12 up front

and about 20 front and rear on the road

Kenda Trakmaster II's on a CRF450X.

14 psi for off-road.

20 psi for dual sport rides.

25+/- psi for street only.

At 14 psi on the street, the tires feel like the are wallowing all over the place especially while cornering. :excuseme:

Dicks sporting goods has a nice mountain-bike pump for less than $20.

Its emphasis is volume rather than pressure, so its pretty good for dirt-bike tires.

Dave

I have one too and it fits nicely in my fender bag right next to the tubes.

I run 27psi ft and rr for almost all rides. If I will be riding anywhere rocks I leave the pressure high to prevent pinching a tube. Since I started this practice I have not had another flat in the woods. I did sacarfice some traction by doing this though. I do not run my tires any lower than 15 psi and I only run that in the sand or loose dirt.

RH