Sign in to follow this  

2005 KTM 525SX in the sand???

Hey guys, I am on my way to purchase a slightly used '05 525sx. My question for all of you is; I spend a lot of my time in the sand dunes, at high speed and jumping. Will I love this bike or should I stick to a 450?

You love this bike The only bad thing I can say about the KTM from comming off a Honda CR they wander at speed on the sand I still thrying to get this problem figuered out my self.

And I went to a progessive rear spring I like a lot.

My Old tryed and true CR did not have this problem at all as in want to find it's own lines and wander or head shake in the loose stuff some times it can get scary.

But It is a much nicer bike than my old CR will ever be just have to fix the sand problems I read put a adjustable 14 to 16 offset Tripple tree on the bike and set it at 14 this should fix the head shake and wandering But I first have to find who makes tese Tripple trees I pass it on when I find out who makes them and where to purchase them.

Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if a steering stabalizer would help? Also, I have been riding on '05 Suzuki RMZ 450 in the sand and so far I really like it, and it's a four speed. Now the guy I bought it from spend most of his time on the desert with the RMZ, so the gearing I'm sure is all different. And I'm not quite sure with out going out and looking to see how it's set up. So, my next question is will a 525 that appearantly revs slower, but has more power, be as fun and fast in the sand? Is is th obvious coming my way in needing/wanting a 6 speed?

Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if a steering stabalizer would help? Also, I have been riding on '05 Suzuki RMZ 450 in the sand and so far I really like it, and it's a four speed. Now the guy I bought it from spend most of his time on the desert with the RMZ, so the gearing I'm sure is all different. And I'm not quite sure with out going out and looking to see how it's set up. So, my next question is will a 525 that appearantly revs slower, but has more power, be as fun and fast in the sand? Is is th obvious coming my way in needing/wanting a 6 speed?

steering stabilizers help so much. it truly is night and day. but thats if they are adjusted accordingly because you can have them on the lowest setting and all they will do is high speed dampening(fast hits, instead of mild wandering bars).

you will love the torque of the larger engine. you don't want a fast reving engine, they just lose traction, you want one that puts its power down and doesn't try and break it loose. I came off a 250f and the 450 definately gets better traction. but obviously can be easier to break it loose too if you just wack the throttle.

what dunes do you ride? I go to the imperial sand dunes(glamis) and pismo beach. can't wait till glamis cools off so I can try my new bike out there.

Suzuki has the worst head shake problems that I've heard of, i've only ridden suzuki quads so i don't know. but my EXC wanders more than my WR did.

so I got a stabilizer. get scotts, they are the most adjustable. so many little screws, they are pretty cool. on the highest dampening setting, its darn near impossible to turn the bars