Sign in to follow this  

Everyone who rides in the desert please help me!

So I was riding yesterday. I haven't been riding for two months because I was on holiday. So I went out to the desert yesterday. And after 10 minutes of riding I went up a dune and I didn't see the big lump of sand when I turned, or I saw it but then it was to late. So my front wheel washed out (I think, everything went so fast and the other guys just saw me and the bike on top of me) I flipped over the bars hit some big rocks and the bike landed on top of me. I am full of bruises everywhere. But I was wondering if the engine is okay. I checked everything. I looked under the bike aswell to see if the engine has cracked. There were only some scratches on the oil and engine cover, what else should I check ?Since the bike landed hard on the rocks aswell. The plastics also got scratched up pretty badly but that's not a big deal. My bike was brand new and it was only ridden 6 or 7 times:cry: But anyways that's part of the fun:thumbsup: Btw the bike also was harder to start after it crashed and it makes a knocking noise when you kick start it. But thats normal isn't it ?👍 The kick start also loosend up later but I am just scared I damaged my engine. Btw it is a brand new 2006 crf250r.

Also what is a good way to get your bike out of the sand when your rear wheel is completly stuck and you are not able to start your bike? I usually lift out the rear wheel and then I lift the bike up then it comes right out. But there has to be some tricks out there? Pluss when your bike falls over and it is hard to start, do you have any tricks there aswell?

Thanks a lot for helping out and have fun ripping up the sand. :worthy:

The clicking noise when you kick it over is coming from the compression relief mechanism on the side if the camshaft, and is normal. When your bike falls over, it's usually flooded with excessive fuel from laying on it's side. All you have to do is pull the hot start lever and kick it over until it starts. The hot start lever creates a vacuum leak to help unflood the engine. Normally you just pull the hot start lever only, and don't touch the throttle until it starts. I have had mine flooded so bad that I pulled the hot start lever and opened the throttle about half way and held it there. This opens the slide in the carburetor and lets in extra air to help unflood it. When you turn your throttle though, initially it will shoot a shot of fuel into the engine and add fuel to the already flooded engine, but having the carb slide opened along with the hot start lever will help it start quicker in extreme flooded conditions. If you do decide to open the throttle some, the key is don't move it and hold it steady, or it will keep shooting fuel into the engine and flood it worse.

P.S. I not sure what to tell about the deep sand. It would be a problem for me too, I'm only 5'6"

check your air box now,and see if theres any sand in side behind the air filter

I checked inside and behind the air filter. I cleaned it all up and put on a brand new twin air filter 👍

The clicking noise when you kick it over is coming from the compression relief mechanism on the side if the camshaft, and is normal. When your bike falls over, it's usually flooded with excessive fuel from laying on it's side. All you have to do is pull the hot start lever and kick it over until it starts. The hot start lever creates a vacuum leak to help unflood the engine. Normally you just pull the hot start lever only, and don't touch the throttle until it starts. I have had mine flooded so bad that I pulled the hot start lever and opened the throttle about half way and held it there. This opens the slide in the carburetor and lets in extra air to help unflood it. When you turn your throttle though, initially it will shoot a shot of fuel into the engine and add fuel to the already flooded engine, but having the carb slide opened along with the hot start lever will help it start quicker in extreme flooded conditions. If you do decide to open the throttle some, the key is don't move it and hold it steady, or it will keep shooting fuel into the engine and flood it worse.

P.S. I not sure what to tell about the deep sand. It would be a problem for me too, I'm only 5'6"

Thanks for the tips 👍 What I found out yesterday is that if the bike is flooded real bad then you can't start it in gear?:busted: You have to put it in neutral, hold in the hot start and then kick gently when the kickstater is halfway down and then when you gave it some kicks you can let go of the hot start and kick it real hard and braaaaap, it starts. :worthy: But it doesn't always work and you have to do it many times:excuseme: But that is almost the same method you use.

It is a good thing that you protected the bike by using your body as a cushion. 👍

Joking aside :worthy: glad that you aren't too banged up.

When stuck in sand, lean the bike over so you can use the frame as a lever. The idea is to get the contact patch of the tire from the bottom of hole to a place nearer the top so when you lean the bike over the bike acts like a lever and lifts the rear tire out of hole. Then either the hole will fill back with sand and the contact patch is closer to level ground or you can at least rotate the bike sideways while leaned over to get the rear tire out of the hole.

It is a good thing that you protected the bike by using your body as a cushion. 👍

Joking aside :blah: glad that you aren't too banged up.

When stuck in sand, lean the bike over so you can use the frame as a lever. The idea is to get the contact patch of the tire from the bottom of hole to a place nearer the top so when you lean the bike over the bike acts like a lever and lifts the rear tire out of hole. Then either the hole will fill back with sand and the contact patch is closer to level ground or you can at least rotate the bike sideways while leaned over to get the rear tire out of the hole.

Haha yeah I know. It was good I protected the bike. Everyone was like s*** are you okay when they saw the bike land on me and the rocks. I just stod up and said, is my bike okay. I don't care if I get bruised up, hey that's part of the fun :worthy: I just want my bike to stay nice and shiny :D Anyways have fun riding and thanks for the tips I used my frame yesterday as a lever but I lifted it sideways though:excuseme: . Don't know why but it worked for me :busted:

Carry a tug'um strap, you can get a nylon one for about 12 bucks, they are small when rolled up, and don't weigh anything (handy to have in a lot of ways), just have someone pull you out if you are stuck.. that is the most simple, and if you stuffed your Hbars into the sand you need to make sure you dont have any sand in your cables, sometimes those little rubber protectors that cover your cable ends at the lever act as small shovels and keep sand trapped inside them with the cables.. trust me on that one... and check for sand in your air box.

Get a quad! Big fat tires mean big floatation!

hell no!!!! quads are for lazy people :worthy: I just convinced all the quadbikers over here to get dirt bikes haha :blah: So new dirt bikes arriving next week :D Old lazy quads getting thrown out, hmm today 👍 Dirt bikes until I die :busted:

to get the rear wheel unstuck i get on the bike and start it, and while standing on the ground, still over the bike, give it some gas and slowly let out the clutch while pushing hard on the bars to help it out. the tire will spin a lot but it should work.

Thanks for the tips 👍 What I found out yesterday is that if the bike is flooded real bad then you can't start it in gear?:busted: You have to put it in neutral, hold in the hot start and then kick gently when the kickstater is halfway down and then when you gave it some kicks you can let go of the hot start and kick it real hard and braaaaap, it starts. :worthy: But it doesn't always work and you have to do it many times:excuseme: But that is almost the same method you use.

Was their sand behind your filter?When you say half way on the kick, do you mean find TDC or actually just kick it half way?

I noticed you mentioned about starting it in gear. Although you can start a 4 stroke in gear, it can be difficult in the best of conditions. Even with hot thin transmission fluid and the clutch lever pulled in, the clutches will have some drag and can make it hard to start. I just go ahead and take a few seconds to find neutral, once again I'm short and can't hardly start one of those overgrown pit bikes anyway.👍

Was their sand behind your filter?When you say half way on the kick, do you mean find TDC or actually just kick it half way?

barely anything. I cleaned it out. I took out the airfilter and checked inside the air cleaner and there was some sand but I cleaned it out. I just took my finger in there and checked and got one finger full of sand on the tip but that was about it. So the air filter and the air "box" is clean now 👍

What I meant with the kick is that when you kick start the bike you kick it from the top and all the way down. Instead of doing that you push the kickstarter halfway down and then kick it from there. So when the kickstarter is halfway down you kick it with the hot start. And then after a few gentle and easy kicks you let the kickstarter go all the way up and then you kick it hard.That's what usually works for me. Get it ? :worthy: