Sign in to follow this  

Axo Slammers

OK, I've read ALL of the postings on dual sport boots and the pros and cons of full-on MX boots vs. shorty boots, so I'm not interested in opening a discussion about relative safety vs. wear-it-everyday utility. Here's what I want to know specifically and what I'd like to harvest vis-a-vis opinions: Does anyone own a pair of Axo Slammer boots? How high is the toe box on these? By way of scale, the Thor 50/50 (which seem a little TOO under-protected by my lights) has what I'd call a "running shoe" height toe box, and the O'Neal Shorty (which are hell for stout) has a full-on, double-jumbo toe box height. I'm lookin' for something with a low toe box height so I can get it under the shifter like a pair of street shoes (no, I don't want to move my shift lever since I need to ride this bike with street shoes pretty often as well). Will the Slammers work?

If not, what shorty or 3/4 boots have a lower toe box? Gaerne, for the briefest time, imported a short boot which claimed the low toe box height, but try to find one of these pairs--impossible.

Help here would be appreciated. Thanks

I own a pair of slammers that I bought for pit bike racing. I tired them on the DRZ and didn't really care for them. Because of the way they are designed they are extremely stiff and have very little feel. They also have the large toe box you mentioned. But on that subject any boot that offers even the slightest bit of protection will be thicker than any street shoe. I moved my shifter up one spline and still ride wtih normal shoes to work and back. Heck it only takes five minutes to move your shifter, give it a try.....you'd be surprised at how little you notice it in street shoes. For a ds boot I'd look hard at the Astar tech 2's. They're still a shorty boot but built more like a full on MX boot and should soften up way more than the AXO's. Hope this helps.

Does anyone own a pair of Axo Slammer boots?

Yes, I own a pair.👍

How high is the toe box on these? By way of scale, the Thor 50/50 (which seem a little TOO under-protected by my lights) has what I'd call a "running shoe" height toe box, and the O'Neal Shorty (which are hell for stout) has a full-on, double-jumbo toe box height.

Toe box is similar to the O'neal Shorty boots.

I'm lookin' for something with a low toe box height so I can get it under the shifter like a pair of street shoes (no, I don't want to move my shift lever since I need to ride this bike with street shoes pretty often as well). Will the Slammers work?

No. If you're not willing to move your shifter a notch, the Slammers or similar boots will not work for you. You might want to stick to "tennis shoe like" boots like Thor 50/50, and or Alpinestar Tech 2's.

The Axo Slammers fit perfect under the shifter(+1 notched-up). No misshifts.:worthy:

I commute on my SM daily, and I wear my Adidas running shoes' 90% of the time. The +1 notched-shifter is a bit higher for normal running shoes, but I've had no problem shifting with skate shoes since the toe box is a bit higher on them.

If not, what shorty or 3/4 boots have a lower toe box? Gaerne, for the briefest time, imported a short boot which claimed the low toe box height, but try to find one of these pairs--impossible.

Help here would be appreciated. Thanks

I've never seen the Gaerne shorty so I don't know what they are like/look like.

palycesar.jpg

palycesar2.jpg

axoslammer.jpg

I had a pair of Slammers that I bought barely used. I found out why he was selling them....no feel at all on the shift lever. I also did not want to raise my lever way up when I usually wear work shoes to ride. I could have lived with the thick toe if they had a little feel. I sold them for what I paid for them ($40) and the guy who bought them loves them.

I've had no problem shifting with skate shoes since the toe box is a bit higher on them.

+1 on the skate shoes... Good combination of comfort/protection and emerica even makes a "motorcycle inspired" skate shoe that works great as a motorcycle shoe, too. It's called the shifter and can be found about anywhere that sells skateboarding equip. The plus over a regular boot is the flexibility, oh and comfort...

Don't forget to tuck the laces!

Ryan

I've been thinking about the Teknic Hurricane's for around town duty.

apparel-teknic-street-boots-2008-men-leather-hurricane.jpg