Sign in to follow this  

Guess what I've got?

Hi all,

I took my first ride on an XR600 about 15 years ago and have wanted one ever since, so I picked one up about 4 years ago, a 94 XR, big bore kit that was bored out hi comp piston, Mikuni flat side carb Staintune exhaust, big tank...the list goes on.

I was so proud, she is pretty ugly but goes real hard. I took her to my local shopping centre and proudly parked it in the m/bike bay... right next to a near new, pristine TTR600. It lowered my enthusiasm somewhat and woke me up to the fact that my dream of owning an XR600 was somewhat dated and there was better looking machines around that I should be looking at.

That brought me to this web site, I have been a regular visitor to this site for a while now and due to the information I have gleaned from here I have gone and purchased an XR650.

Hooray!!👍

I was expecting similar performance between my old XR and new XR but holy crap, this things pulls hard, it does have a high comp JE piston and aftermarket cam though.

My plans are to ride it to work and back, a 25km sojourn up the highway, but I'm concerned about the security of the machine, sure a chain and lock will secure it, but has anyone got any ideas on how to fit a key to stop ignition?

I'm also looking for a plastics & decal kit thinking of a black rear fender and side plastics.

Any suggestions on good brands?

I'm running the Michelin ac10 rear on my 600, any thoughts on a suitable rear for the 650, probably a 50/50 road trail application tyre?

Mikuni, keihin or edelbrock?

Thankyou all in advance, I've spent many hours reading all your posts as a visitor and look forward to contributing some of my own experiences.

you could replace the kill button with a keyswitch such as the Baja Designs. There are also many types of ignition switches at marine shops. I'm using the Baja Designs switch with the Baja Designs dual sport kit, but it can be wired in even without the ds kit. I'm not sure what would be the best way to wire it, but I'm sure others on TT can fill you in.

A disk lock works very well also. Fairly small and lightweight but very effective. All you can do is deture a thief, IMO if they want the bike they will pick it up and take it, lock or no lock, key or no key. Welocme to TT.👍

I agree with cmpbaja. I put a kill switch on my XRR and hid it. I went down to the local Advanced Auto Parts and picked up a cheap switch. I looked the bike over and decided to hide the switch in the crossbar pad. This might seem obvious but it isn't. Just interrupt one wire that leads to the kill switch and put a switch on that wire. I cut out the foam in my crossbar pad so the switch would fit tight. I can't actuate it by pressing on the outside of the crossbar pad. You can't tell its there. It works well and has gotten me a time or two forgetting that I set it. If someone knows the bike they can steal it just by unplugging the kill switch altogether. This will stop someone from just trying to start your bike and haul a$$. My .02, please don't steal my bike now I've given up my secret. Missile

Thanks guys,

My 600 has a hidden kill switch near the air box and I have a disc lock already. By installing an ignition key on my 650, I'm hoping to have a visual deterent to a thief, an extra level of protection as anyone familiar with the XR's already know that you don't need a key.

I may even install a key lock without wiring it up, just run the wires under the tank and make it look like they do something, the real ignition security would be the hidden kill switch.

How far up my priority list should a pumper carb be? Do they make much difference?