Sign in to follow this  

What bike to get?

Hey everyone

My 9 year old is currently on a ttr 90 and is ready to move up.

I've been looking at KX 65's but I think he will be too tall in about a year or so. I'm concerned the 85 may have too much power and be a bit too tall right now.

I'm leaning toward an 85 so he can have it for a few years.

What do you think? Is it worth getting a 65 for just a year or so? Can I get an 85 and lower it somehow?

Any input would be appreciated.

earl

Hey everyone

I've been looking at KX 65's but I think he will be too tall in about a year or so. I'm concerned the 85 may have too much power and be a bit too tall right now.

What do you think? Is it worth getting a 65 for just a year or so? Can I get an 85 and lower it somehow?

earl

I would say get a 85 and run a lowering link on it, there are a few of them out there to lower the bike for smaller kids. If you are concerned about the power though, why not see if you can find somebody to let him ride a 65 and 85 back to back, i wouldn't reccomend you getting the 85 if hes not comfortable on it, safety first.

I don't know how much taller a 100 is than a 85, but a kx100 would be the best option. It would last him a looong time and if he races, it is in the 85 class.

I don't know how much taller a 100 is than a 85, but a kx100 would be the best option. It would last him a looong time and if he races, it is in the 85 class.

Incorrect the kx 100 runs in the supermini class due to the bigger motor and bigger wheels.

Go with the 65. My son did the same ttr>65>85. We only had the 65 for 3 months but it was worth it..remember he's going from a TTR with no clutch to a clutch..the last thing he needs a bike with a big hit compared to the ttr.

Agreed.. go with a 65...get a slightly used one, they are out there

and should not be too expensive. You will be surprised, he might want to ride

it longer than you think and having a right sized bike will inspire

confidence.👍

i would say go with the 65, you can find used ones for pretty cheap,, but if you do decide to get him and 85 i would not recommend a yz, i am 14 years old and my yz still scares me sometimes, for a relative beginner i would recommend a RM or KX (powervalve models) if you do opt for the 85

Get the little tik on a 450 👍

J/K :worthy:

I would say a 65 for the little one. Unless he is an advaned rider and can really haul the mail then 85 at the most.

go with the 65.

i got when one when i was 11 and had it for 2 years and did fine.

then moved up to an 85 and it was a big power jump.👍

Hey everyone

earl

im on a 85 and im 15. and im 5'5 and im tippy toeing the big wheel. also it has a good amount of power. to tell you the truth really search about the 85. depending on how heavy your 9 year old is also. but i personly do not think he could handle the power and might be frightened of it. it's a nippy little bike and will flip back up to 4th gear for me. so yea definatly think about it. also if it is his first 2 stroke, let him get the 65 to get the feel of the 2 stroke, then in a year or w.e get hiim a 85. those are just my thoughts.

You have to remember, the 85's are full blown race bikes that will scare the crap out of anyone not ready for the hit. It will dramatic coming off the TTR-90. He may outride the 65 in a year, but it will be easier for him to transition to. The 65 is still a beast of a bike and you can do all sorts of things for his weight to make em good for him. What does he weigh? My son went from the TTR-90 to a 65 when he was nine and he is bigger then avage kids in height. He was scared of the power band on the 65 for a while but then he after a while he ripped that bike and I moved him up to a yz85 and he was scared of that bike the first frew times out, now he absolutley rips it.

I also do not reccomend the lowering kits for the 85, if he is jumping it you do not want those lowering kits.

Thanks for all the help folks. I'm gonna go with the 65 and if he outgrows it soon then so be it. The last thing I want to do is get him a too powerful bike and ruin his experience so far.

earl

I have twin boys that are 10 y/o. They were riding DRZ110's until a few months ago when I got them 85's. They made the transition pretty quicly. We have about a 5 acre open field in front of our house where they spent a whole weekend getting used to the clutch and the power hit before hitting any trails or the track. It took them a few weeks to really get comfortable on them. They can't touch their feet, but have adapted well to switching from one foot to the other. I put lowering links on one of them, but after a month he wanted them off because he was bottoming out too easily on jumps. They both ride pretty aggressively, and the power never seemed to bother them at all. I can't say what is good for your son, but for my kids, jumping right to the 85 was a good choice.

Steve