Sign in to follow this  

Help on a 93 XR250L

It just died on me a few weeks ago. I cleaned the carb, adjusted the valves, replaced the plug, got it running, and it ran great for about 40 miles. On my way home, was climbing a hill, bike started pinging, dropped a gear, felt the bike..."shutter" a bit, but it ran great, when I got close to the top, thought I had better pull in the clutch to make sure it will keep running, and it died immediately, popped the clutch back out, it started up again, made it to the top and pulled the clutch in at the light and wasn't quick enough on the throttle, and it died instantly, poof, died, and hasn't started again. I have recleaned the carb, rechecked the valves, I have spark, compression, fuel just no fire in the hole. I am a bit lost on this one, any ideas that I could be missing? Any help would be appreciated.

Check the carb rubber boot going into the motor. It might have slipped off if it wasn't on tight. Don't ask me how I know this causes a non starting situation. 👍

Thanks, I have checked that too. I actually got it started today again, rode it for about 3 minutes, pulled it back into the garage, and it died again....lol it's dead again.

Is the Battery charged? My 94 will stall out sometime coming to a stop when the battery is dead. It puts a strain on the Generator and this will cause it to not like to idle. Also will cause a slight lack of power.

Thanks, I have checked that too. I actually got it started today again, rode it for about 3 minutes, pulled it back into the garage, and it died again....lol it's dead again.

Check the CDI, wires first, then tap on it and fire it up. If it dies shortly after, then the CDI is bad. Had the same problem on the 650L, and tore my hair out trying to figure it out.

Good Luck,

LST

right on, after reading alot of threads on here, was wondering about that...will check that.