08 530 EXC Fork Sag ?

Hey guys, this is my first KTM (coming off of a 03 CRF 450), and I'm trying to get the fork sag and the shock sag set. I have 25 mm of static sag, and 50 mm of riding sag on my forks, and I have 14 mm of static sag, and 115 mm of riding sag on my shock. What is the correct static and riding sag I need for this 08 530 EXC ? I weight 265 lbs, the front springs are .50, and the rear spring is a progressive spring up to 300 lbs.

By those numbers I'd say your are to stiff (preload) on the frt. and to soft (spring) on the rear. I'd run 40mm's free sag with 115 rider on the shock. Try to do that with 5-7mm's of preload on the spring. You could probably get by with fork springs you have just take some preload off so you have 35-40mm's free sag.

doc

Doc, what should my riding sag be in the front. I have a progressive shock spring ( up to 300 lbs), and my preload is about 9mm, I'm being told by my dealer not to worry about my static sag, just add more preload to the spring, because it is a progressive spring.

Doc, what should my riding sag be in the front. I have a progressive shock spring ( up to 300 lbs), and my preload is about 9mm, I'm being told by my dealer not to worry about my static sag, just add more preload to the spring, because it is a progressive spring.

You want 70-80mm rider sag on the forks...you must have one of the RaceTech/Langston/Eibach "super' progressive springs? They have no place on the 05 up shocks...the later shocks have more progression built into the shock via valving/secondary needle influence, so don't need as much "help" from the spring...

Here is s chart with the rates for the RT version:

Race Tech WP PDS Shock Springs - Progressive Rate - 260mm length:

Spring Rate Part

P15--6.8/14.0kg SRSP6326

P20--7.5/16.3kg SRSP6326

P25--7.9/18.5kg SRSP6326

P30--????????????????

The P25 starts at 7.9kg & progresses to 18.5!!! That is WAAAAAAAAAY too much rate on the "stiff" end...it's pretty much accepted in the industry, the KTM progressive springs had too much progression, and they only had about a 2.0 split...

PDS WP brand spring chart

PDS-0=6.5/8.3-250mm "length"

PDS-1=7.0/9.0-250

PDS-2=7.5/9.6-250

PDS-3=8.0/10.3-250

PDS-4=8.5/11.1-250

PDS-5=6.6/8.6-260 "length"

PDS-6=7.1/9.0-260

PDS-7=7.6/9.5-260

PDS-8=8.1/9.9-260

The problem with running a wide "split" of rate is controlling the rebound. If you crank enough reb damping in to control the kick from deep in the travel it packs up on little stuff...you have to revalve to add rebound damping to the secondary piston and hope it doesn't make the shock too slow in other conditions...

So...you would probably be better served with a straight-rate 10.4 or 10.8 spring?

WP DID make a PDS-10 which would work but they aren't usually found sitting on the shelf...MX-Tech might be able to get it for you?

<PDS 10 MXT 63mm x 260mm x 9.0kg/mm - 11.5kg/mm>

http://www.mx-tech.com/index.php?id=spring_generator

Hey guys, this is my first KTM (coming off of a 03 CRF 450), and I'm trying to get the fork sag and the shock sag set. I have 25 mm of static sag, and 50 mm of riding sag on my forks, and I have 14 mm of static sag, and 115 mm of riding sag on my shock. What is the correct static and riding sag I need for this 08 530 EXC ? I weight 265 lbs, the front springs are .50, and the rear spring is a progressive spring up to 300 lbs.
Jerry, I had to remove all 3 of the nylon shims in the forks to get my bike to sag properly, but I only weigh 180. It's pretty easy to remove shims, but getting the cap off can be tricky. With bike on a stand, First you need to loosen top tripple tree bolts and then loosen the caps until they click. Then slowly drop the bike down to get the caps to pop out of the forks. You will need a real thin wrench to hold the lock nut as you loosen the cap from the fork internals. I had to grind one down to fit. After that, just finish removing the cap, and the shims are right there. No need to remove the springs unless you want to change fluid, but that is another Oprah. Oh, hold the internals at the top of the spring with safety wire or it will drop all the way down. Good luck. I just changed my fork oil yesterday, so it is fresh in my mind if you plan on doing it. I used Maxima 5 wt and 115mm (4.5 in) fork oil height.

Thinks for all the help. I'm coming off of an 03 and 06 CRF 450R, I do mostly trail riding, Hollister, Gorman. Not use to the KTM set up.

Once you get the sag setup, you will love it at Gorman. The only place it didn't do well, was Kennedy Meadows. Those rock gardens were brutal.

The KTMs are great in the whoops, and tight trails, but tend to feel jittery going fast or in sand. That's my opinion anyhow.