Sign in to follow this  

wr-250 opinions

hey guys,im in the market for a hare scramble bike and i want to know what you think about the wr compared to the other 2 st enduro bikes?say ktm or another mx 250 conversion.thanks for your help-mike

👍 IF you un choke it from the factory (install F2 powerback or similar products) you will love the WR250F. especially the majic button (electric start) Also, depending on where you ride you may want/need to change tires, The bike is light and powerful and fun to ride:ride:

? to that last post. Wrong room.

I have been riding a '07 Husky WR 250 for the last 8 months and love it. Plenty of power with good handling. There are issues as with any bike. The bike has been the same for quite a few years now. If you are not tall that could be a problem but I don't think that much more than any other bike. I am 6'2" though. Suspension can be stiff when new is the first thing out of new owners mouths, most people say give it a couple of hundred miles as it gets better with time. The other big bennefit is once you get this bike right there is not much to do besides normal maintenance. A oil change and air filter takes about 20 minutes max. I am bored on that part right now. Exciting news though I broke a front fender a couple of weeks ago and got to change that out. Seriously though once you get suspension/jetting down the bike is good to go in my opinion. You should try to ride one as with any bike before jumping on. Any NJ riders that could offer up a test ride? KTM is a nice bike for some people, it looks the part. I just rode a '08 KTM 250 XC and a '09 300 XC and I will take my bike over those anyday. If you are already a KTM rider then you may like the new KTM's. I just still can't get over the no link rear suspension and the Sketchy handling. I prefer the stable handling (read slower steering) of the Husky. At speeds the KTM feels like it is headed for that big Oak tree on the side of the trail. My friend with the '08 KTM is already looking to move back to a Jap brand bike. There is plenty of people going fast on the Orange bikes, just not me. Gas Gas is a good bike but more for shorter riders, not sure on bike availibilty and parts for the Gassers. Resale values stink so make sure before you buy. This should get better in the next few years.

thanks raisrx,i dont know many people that own em around here.i am currently riding a yzf250 but i realize its not the best woods bike.it has a tendency to cough a bit in the tight stuff and feels a little heavy in some siyuations.it also doesnt have that quick power that i like for sprinting thru trees.last woods bike i had was an 01 ktm exc 125-mike

thanks raisrx,i dont know many people that own em around here.i am currently riding a yzf250 but i realize its not the best woods bike.it has a tendency to cough a bit in the tight stuff and feels a little heavy in some siyuations.it also doesnt have that quick power that i like for sprinting thru trees.last woods bike i had was an 01 ktm exc 125-mike

I'm in No NJ and I have an '04.

The husky is a bit heavier than the mx conversions but the motor is super-lugable and will not stall as long and you hold the gas on.

The YZ250f has to be jetted perfect or you get the dreaded fart and stall.

I jump between my WR426f and Husky and the bikes are rather different. It takes a while to adjust.

the Husky 125 is a nice bike if you ride on the bubble and like to shift all the time.

Awesome bike - light nimble, plenty of power, easily controllable - really just an MX bike with a headlight and tail light and better speed, gearing even works fine on MX tracks

Big 4s are great or open areas and long steep hill climbs. The 2 stroke i find is better for overall trail ridding.

I think the Gasgas and husky are both very equal bikes but for 2 very differebt ridders.

Gasgas:

1. Its expensive (new, used models are really cheap)

2. Parts where i live the Gasgas parts are easy to get

3. Aftermarket support not quite as good as Husky

4. Smooth power, and wide powerband

5. 6 speed close ratio, good for open sections

6. Has lots of great features

Husky:

1. Stronger aftermarket

2. Not sure of parts support

3. has a stronger mid power hit

4. 5 speed tranny is limited for tighter trails

5. Cheap like borche

thanks r little,how do u like the big 4st vs the 2 st?pro s n cons?-mike

Well, my Yamaha is a 2000 400 with a 444 kit so the power is huge from idle on up but it is very heavy which is a problem in the real tight stuff. I have a BD duall sport kit on it so I use it as a DS bike and race the husky.

I'm a mid pack senior "B" rider and the 4 stoke is great as long as you don't stall it or get stuck in muck or super tight woods like we have in NJ

I'm intigued by the new Yamaha WR's as they are much lighter with e-start.

but they are expensive and are a PITA to plate for enduro.

The 2 stroke guzzles gas. needs to be mixed and is short on top speed. OTOH, if you rip on it it goes faster longer than the big bike. It's cheaper too.

Reliablity is not a issue with either bike, unlike the Hondas.

I'm going to Scrub Pine and maybe moonshine if you want to try it.

where are you in NJ?

r little,i would like to give it a go,i live in readington nj near flemington.ill pm you my number so maybe we could hook up at one of those events.im also a vet b rider in mx.never raced a enduro but ive been a moto guy for years,lookin to try some enduros.i did race the agp race at barnaget on the 17th and had a blast-thank you-mike

hi fellas im rob from australia, ride an rm250 06 2 stroke mostly woods and the occassional mx though at my age (49) i prefer the enduro type riding. there is a husky dealer here in bunbury with these amazing red and white huskies, just beautiful looking bikes i must say...How does a wr250 shape up speed wise compared to a 250 mx bike?

does the power hit hard like a mx bike?? or i guess it is a bit smoother!

would fitting a fww bring the rm into line with a wr250?

cheers rob bray

I'm more the weekend warrior at best and rode KTM's for 10 years so I found a slightly used 06'WR 250 and I LOVE it. I run a 50 tooth rear sprocket and the FMF Gnarly pipe w/ the Turbine Core II spark arrester. Even with my girth, I can pull on my friends 06' YZ 250, mostly due to the wide ratio tranny. for technical riding you can keep the revs down and it tractors along nicely. I don't find it to "snap" like th YZ, but then fly wheel mass would be different. Just feather the clutch and it takes off pretty good. Just my 2 cents though.

For a 49yr ols mx oriented rider the WR250 is perfect. a little heavier than a pure mx bike but istill hits hard. The benefit is that it can be lugged in the woods all day w/o stalling and snap right up on the pipe anytime. Yes, a little smoother but good for an old guy like me.

I was just curious about how competitive the 08 WR250 could be in motocross. I grew up with 2 strokes, and have always been a fan with Huskies, so this just seems like the best fit to get back to those old school roots of motocross. I was just looking for your oppinions to help me along the way before I make a final decision.

I was just curious about how competitive the 08 WR250 could be in motocross. I grew up with 2 strokes, and have always been a fan with Huskies, so this just seems like the best fit to get back to those old school roots of motocross. I was just looking for your oppinions to help me along the way before I make a final decision.

It's MX-able but you are going to give a bit away to the guy next to you on a new 450! The Husky has less power, less suspension and more weight. Best to keep the Wr250 in the woods where it belongs.

If i can take my Gasgas EC250 on to the track and beat on the other 450 ridders i think you could on a WR250. Compared to the rides you used to ride this thing is world better.

hey guys,im in the market for a hare scramble bike and i want to know what you think about the wr compared to the other 2 st enduro bikes?say ktm

Hey mike, I have owned 3 different ktm's. Currently i have an 04 250sx set up for woods and a 08 200xcw. I got to ride an 07 wr250 in the idaho mountains earlier this summer. I was very very impressed with the motor, handling, suspension, and ergos (i'm 6'2"). I could get on the bike and instantly feel comfortable and go fast. The only things I didn't like were the awkward stubby kickstarter and the spoogey exhaust. I'm told with a proper carburetor the spooginess goes away.

I would have to try one again to decide if I could live with kickstarter. In every other respect, I think it would be a slightly better race bike than either of my ktm's, but slightly not as nimble in extreme technical mtn riding.

• Like 1

The latest issue of MotocrossDigital has a review on the 09 WR250 and 300 - interesting read.