Sign in to follow this  

I'm wearing my helmet

First off let me say the guys ok. On my way to the store today I come up on a guy just getting up off the ground and his bike was laying there(full dresser Kawi)leaking gas and in bad shape, the guy was pretty shook up and seemed a little confused, he had some sort of head injury as he was bleeding a little. He said someone had cut him off and he had tried to avoid them and ended up going into the curb. There was a helmet laying on the ground and someone asked him if he was wearing it in which he replied, no I was just on a short ride close to home. This accident could have been much worse and serves as a reminder of helmet safety. I was wearing my helmet today and will continue to even on the shortest rides. I believe we should have the right not to wear a helmet if we choose, but I hope people do choose to wear them.

It always makes me laugh when i see these idiots riding with their helmets strapped to the bike.

My dad's friend just recently got killed in a motorcycle accident,when he hit a tree. When I just recently got back from KY i noticed that it was not a law that you had to wear a helment.I seen people coming off the interstate without helments and i said to myself "These are the dumbest people i've ever seen in my life!"

I'm glad he was okay!

there is no helmet law in CT maybe 1 in 10 people wear helmets if even that many.

Helmets have saved my life at least 7 times in street bike wrecks with cars, vans, Kenworth Truck (actually died on the way to hospital) and high speed track get offs. I have hit my head many times while riding on dirt bikes as well; usually against a low tree branch or into rocks in a crash.

Simply put - I do not believe in helmet laws - but I do believe that if you are dumb enough to ride without one ( and other safety gear ) then you have no business riding a motorcycle.

Helmets have saved my life at least 7 times in street bike wrecks with cars, vans, Kenworth Truck............

I would probably reconsider riding on the street. I rode my '72 SuperGlide from new until I sold it in '03 without a single lay down. I've ridden my '02 WideGlide ever since with the same results.

I don't think I would still street ride if I wrecked 7 times, especially running into a Kenworth. Pretty big target to run into. :worthy: At some point I would get it in my mind that somebody is trying to tell me something..

Just saying. 👍

Kansas has no helmet law if you're over 18. I NEVER get on a bike without a full face helmet, boots and a leather jacket. I don't care how hot it is. So far I've been very lucky. I commuted 120 miles a day rain or shine for 5 years without an incident. I just keep in mind everybody is out to kill me and ride accordingly.

May not be a problem with a big windscreen but on the bikes I ride, a helmet is ongoing protection from bugs. You hit some of the hardshell flying beetles we have here at 70+ without a helmet and it's gonna hurt big time.

Plus, I've been on the ground a few times myself through the years. Helmet has saved my bacon on more than one occasion. I've wore them all my riding life and it just feels weird without it, too weird.

also,those beanie helmets that many cruiser riders wear are pretty much useless. one bike magazine had a picture of one removed from a dead or injured rider. it had a fairly large piece of his scalp stuck to the inside.👍

Ud Luz -

4 of those 7 times were before I was 22 - the 5th time - then at 22 years old, a Kenworth Truck decided to make an illegal 5 point turn on the other side of a blind turn with a steep uphill cliff opposite the trucks front end blocking the entire road. I struck it going around 60mph - face first.

I had an "out of body experience" in the ambulance - it was very real and I remember it clearly. The medical report states they "lost me" 5 minutes from the hospital. I was 22 and the desire to see my 19 year old Tahitian girl friend was the light at the end of the tunnel. It was a very bright light!

Events 6 and 7 were between the ages of 22 and 44 with many miles ridden each year - both were "other driver at fault" & cited by the CHP.

2 in 22 years - actually 25 years cause I am 47 now - is not too bad.

I don't drive on the street that much any more - I prefer track days - Thunderhill, Infineon (Sears Point), Laguna Seca Raceway or riding a dirt bike.

I wear Boots, Armor Jacket, Knee Pads, Hip Pads and one of the best Helmets money can buy every time I ride - No Exceptions.

My wife requests (requires???) that I call her each time I reach or I am about to leave a destination on the street. I live in Contra Costa County of the SF Bay Area and the roads are very congested and often in poor condition.

I do not recommend street riding to any newbies - only after you have dirt bike experience for being able to control the bike without thinking about it.

Alot of my wifes freinds and their husbands/boyfreinds are a little shocked when they know I ride but tell them not to until they gain some experience on a dirt bike first. I had my wife ride dirt for 4 years berfore she got a street bike - CBR600RR -which she rides only a little bit.

My preferred street bike is a Suzuki GSXR 1000 with mods.

No Helmet = No Ride - No Safety Gear = No Ride - No Skills = No Ride -

Ride like the cars do not see you and are going to hit you.

When it's a 100+ outside and the girl at the coffee shop asks "aren't you hot in that Motorcycle Jacket?" - simply answer "it's worth it"

I've seen a lot of dirt riders suffer from tunnel vision on the streets. Trees don't chase them down while talking on a cell phone, applying makeup or my favourite in your neck of the woods, reading a newspaper while on 680 or 24. 👍

You're right, riding around the Bay Area really is putting your life in your hands.

It's hard for me to imagine riding in the big cities of California, I give a lot of credit to the cyclists that do, I've been there on vacations and at time it was terrifying even in a car.

About 23 years ago someone told me something that had really stuck, he said "drive like they're trying to kill you" while that may be slightly exagerated what I got from that is to be as defensive as I can, try to anticipate what the cars and trucks will do, know that many people just don't see motorcycles and at minimum wear a helmet in the event of something unavoidable happens.

We spent a week or so in Illinois earlier this year and it never stopped freaking me out when people would roll by with no Helmet. Yes yes I know, personal choice and all that.. But.. It sure seems like a stupid (and easily avoided) way to die to me.

-Peter

When i was vacationing an Arizona (no helmet law) it was so weird seeing bikes go buy with no helmet (helmet law in New York). Funny part is Almost every Harley rider i saw didnt have a helmet and i didnt see one sportbike rider without one. Oh yeah and please dont turn this into another harley bashing thread 👍

Riding on the street is much different than off-road, for exactly the reasons Ud listed. The analogy I use is that you need to think like a fighter pilot in enemy territory. Danger can come from anywhere, any time, and in an instant, with no warning whatsoever.

... I was just on a short ride close to home.

Famous last words, those. It is an often quoted statistic that most accidents happen within 3 miles of home. This makes sense, because no matter how long or short a trip you take, you start and end within 3 miles of home, so you're in that zone a lot. Nevertheless, when I first heard this, I decided to move 10 miles away.

Riding on the street is much different than off-road, for exactly the reasons Ud listed. The analogy I use is that you need to think like a fighter pilot in enemy territory. Danger can come from anywhere, any time, and in an instant, with no warning whatsoever.

Words to live by street riding.

Another interesting factoid is that half of all fatality accidents occur under 35 mph. So, even on the back roads or going slow the opportunity for death exists when your non helmeted head comes to a rapid and sudden impact with a stationary object.