Sign in to follow this  

Gas coming from airbox?

Hi Ya'll, I'm new to this forum. I just got myself a brand new 08 XR650L two months ago and I just started un-corking it. Today I removed the smog equipment and used the smog block-off kit. I also removed the snorkel restrictor and I already have a hi-flow silencer on it. I have a dynojet kit that I have not installed yet. Today right after removing the smog equipment and snorkel restrictor I started it and it ran like crap, I'm assuming because it isn't jetted yet, acted like it was starved for fuel. But now when I park it it leaks fuel through the carb and comes out the airbox. It just POURS out basically so I shut off the fuel petcock. Is this a stuck float? Why do you think it did it all of the sudden. It's flooding so bad now I can't even get it to start. Please help. THANK YOU

Sounds like you mis-routed the fuel line. The float is very unlikely to stick on a new bike, especially if you never had the bowl off.

Reread the instructions for the smog removal in the FAQ.

Oh, and welcome to TT!

Turn fuel off and start it up if it will light, use full throttle to clear a flooded engine. It sounds like a little POS got into your needle & seat area and is hanging the float needle open. Do jet the carb(plenty of resources in here for tips, advice, etc.) and enjoy the extra power when you get 'er sorted out!

I'll re-read the directions but I don't think I ever removed/altered the fuel line, just vacuum lines and the vac line from the tranny re-routed to the airbox. I'll go get it to fire and clear it out and see if I can clear out the junk from the carb. Any ideas on how to clear this out?

BTW thanks for the help.

make sure the nipple on the bottom-center of the carb is still the drain & not routed elsewhere. Mine did the same thing, it may have leaked a 1/4 gallon of fuel before I noticed my mistake. You still need the drain to go below the bike. good luck.

oh I think I plugged that line. I must've mistaken it for a vacuum line. I guess if that's plugged it has nowhere to drain?

oh I think I plugged that line. I must've mistaken it for a vacuum line. I guess if that's plugged it has nowhere to drain?

I think you better change your oil as soon as possible. You might have a bunch of fuel inside your engine.

I put a drain line on the bottom plug on the carb and it started right up and runs fine. I'm gonna change the jetting today and change the oil tomorrow. Since it's a remote resivoir for oil would the gas that leaked through the rings be in the crank case or with the oil in the frame?

Since it's a remote resivoir for oil would the gas that leaked through the rings be in the crank case or with the oil in the frame?

I didn't notice any problems, probably did an oil change a week or so later (maybe sooner). I think I uncorked about 500 miles into it & have ridden ~1500-2000 since... I've dealt with an overheating issue since I've had it so if I were you I'd look into setting up a thermometer.