Sign in to follow this  

Radiator braces would have been a good thing

Went out for trail maint. today started off badly by fouling a plug:excuseme: not quite sure what that was about. New plug and off i go well 45mins into it not pushing it, just cruiseing the frt end washes out and down i go, didn't think to much about i've hit the ground harder then that before, i get up stand the bike up and theres coolant leaking from the left radiator:banghead: when i washed out the left side rad. landed on top of the hard pack side of the trail that is raised up so now i'm done until i can get it repair or replaced:foul: I'm thinking radiator braces of some sort after the fix:bonk:

Radiator cagesdo alot for preventing damge, more so than just braces would do. Ive go both on my CRFs to prevent side impact damage and twisting damage

The works connection braces are darn near worthless. If your going to add somethign , try the cages.

My next step will be to have Mylers weld up the stock rads "works style"..

The works connection braces are darn near worthless. If your going to add somethign , try the cages.

My next step will be to have Mylers weld up the stock rads "works style"..

The cages will be what i go for when i get some, whats the "works style" from Mylers that your refering to, i seen there ad in MXA just wondering on how much shipping would be to get it there

They charge you lke $50 for shipping, the works style the beef up the welds and a few other things for another $20 I think.

They charge you lke $50 for shipping, the works style the beef up the welds and a few other things for another $20 I think.

👍 This might be an option worth considering

I am not sure of the cost, but Mylers will weld up all the seams. It looks cool and strong.

The outlet tube is very weak on Yamaha radiators.

I am not sure of the cost, but Mylers will weld up all the seams. It looks cool and strong.

The outlet tube is very weak on Yamaha radiators.

I'll have to get in touch with him, this sounds like the way to go

You have a few different choices with the radiator guards. I have the Devol guards on mine, but I hadn't seen the unabiker guards when I bought them. In hindsight I probably would have bought the unabiker guards because they are more rigid. The other thing that you could do would be to buy a heavy duty set of fluidyne radiators. They are beefed up enough to be as strong as radiators with guards, and they hold a lot more coolant and keep the bike running cooler. They sell them at motosport, and a bunch of other places. I believe that if they fit a yz450f they should fit a yz250 as well.

Mylers will fix them right up. I have used them three times in the past with great results.

now i have a set of flatland radiator guards and I probably won't be needing Mylers anymore. I chose the Flatland ones because they have a small space betwen the guards and the radiators that gives the braces even more room to take punishment.

there are other good ones as well.

I am particularly fond of the Moose cages. Beefiest ones I have seen so far. I'll get pics up if you would like to see them.

I am particularly fond of the Moose cages. Beefiest ones I have seen so far. I'll get pics up if you would like to see them.

Mxjosh, please do post some pics of the Moose Cages. I just ordered a set for my new to me 06.

I've said it in previous posts that I disagree with those 2 having good frontal protection. Rocks/roost can go straight into the holes in front. At least the stock louvers (even though mine are not stock) deflect and take the brunt of the hit when roost or rocks are thrown straight on at the radiator. Unibikers are the worst. The grooves are huge not to mention that both are half the thickness as the Moose cages.

I've said it in previous posts that I disagree with those 2 having good frontal protection. Rocks/roost can go straight into the holes in front. At least the stock louvers (even though mine are not stock) deflect and take the brunt of the hit when roost or rocks are thrown straight on at the radiator. Unibikers are the worst. The grooves are huge not to mention that both are half the thickness as the Moose cages.

I don't worry about rocks and roost being sprayed at me. Instead, I'm worried about boulders, trees, AND the worst culprit - brush or branches lodging their way into my radiator. Got frontal and I'm happy.