Sign in to follow this  

How to desmog for California ?

Hey guys, for California desmogging, is all I have to my 08 530 exc, remove the plug in the catch can, and plug the brass fitting in the intake?

Hey guys, for California desmogging, is all I have to my 08 530 exc, remove the plug in the catch can, and plug the brass fitting in the intake?

yup, don't forget to hook your gas cap to the frames atmosphere vent.

I have instructions and I can take photos and up load them if you want

If I do that I will have an open connection at the wye, where it comes off of.

that goes to a vacuum operated switch, which you won't need anymore

I want to keep the bike looking legal, so I what to keep the hoses in place, but bypass the smog stuff. All I have done is solder the brass barb closed, reroughted the gas tank over flow to the frame, and removed the drain from the catch can. Any help with other mods would be a help.

I want to keep the bike looking legal, so I what to keep the hoses in place, but bypass the smog stuff. All I have done is solder the brass barb closed, reroughted the gas tank over flow to the frame, and removed the drain from the catch can. Any help with other mods would be a help.

pull the exhaust tip off, there is a pipe that goes and bends into the internal baffles, gut the pipe at its weld

Yes and I have cut the restricter off, the power seem a little flat from idle to 1/4 throttle.

did you rejet it? your probably running too lean if you didn't

It is also a good idea to route a vent hose to the airbox. The reason for this is in case you cross a stream, the vent at the bottom will be shut off by the water, so the carb can no longer breath and you will stall out at the worst time. The reason to route it to the airbox is to keep the vent high and reasonably out of mucks way.

Opps, is the vent hose the one that was tieing into the plastic 90 on the frame(the old gas tank vent), I just plug that one. Is that the correct procedure?

Opps, is the vent hose the one that was tieing into the plastic 90 on the frame(the old gas tank vent), I just plug that one. Is that the correct procedure?

no, that grey 90 degree plug is just a vent to atmosphere. he's talking about the ones that hang down from your carb and go to the catch can

The dealer said, he re jetted the bike, but I'm not sure what he did. It feels a little flat from idle to 1/4 throttle. One thing I did notice, when I tried to start my bike with the seat off, it wouldn't start, never had that problem with my 03 crf 450.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry jackson

Oops, is the vent hose the one that was tying into the plastic 90 on the frame(the old gas tank vent), I just plug that one. Is that the correct procedure?

no, that grey 90 degree plug is just a vent to atmosphere. he's talking about the ones that hang down from your carb and go to the catch can.

He is my desmogging procedure(tell me if it is correct). First, I plugged the brass fitting, and reconnected the hose. Second, I re routed the gas tank vent to the frame(the tank vent was tied into a Wye fitting, and I plugged the open end on the Wye fitting, with a piece of hose and a c-clamp to plug it. Third, the hose that went to frame, I ran it under tank and plug it. I left all the hoses in place just encase ranger Rick pull me over. Oh, I also removed the catch can drain screw. Let me know if this is correct, and if there is anything else I forgot.