Sign in to follow this  

Mounted Avon Distanzia's for the R

I just mounted my new Avon Distanzia tires today and went for a spin. After scrubbing them in I was backing into corners, foot down, having the time of my life. I felt like I was 14 yrs. old racing flat track at the rodeo again.

I have not balanced the tires yet, because I wanted to see if they would spin in on the aluminum rims before I did. I had to run the pressure up to 80 pounds to get the beeds to seat. I am running the stock tubes and plan on running heavy duty tubes, Talon rim locks, and Dunlop 606's for dirt duty.

Out of frustration concerning Supermoto wheels, I decided to buy a Zip Ty Racing tire changer along with Avon Distanzias and brush the rust off of my tire changing skills. I had the wheels off, mounted and back on in an hour and a half. I believe with practice I can shave it to an hour start to finish.

I started the ride with the pressure at 39 lbs. I stopped at 20 miles and lowered them to 35 lbs. At 35 lbs the tires were not as harsh on my forearms and felt more surefooted. I had a balance issue at speedo indicated 70 and up which went away at the lower pressure as I accumilated some miles.

I started pushing the tires at about 60 miles and they performed really well. The steering is a little slower, but my lean confidence is much greater. I was throwing the back end out on turn entry, but had a hard time keeping it out with the lack of power. I have done the airbox mod, but I am still waiting on my FMF fuel programmer, so the bike is down on power at the moment.

For the time being, I am pleased with this band aid solution to the Supermoto wheel situation. This way I can switch tires when I know I am going off road to something a little better suited to the trails, and I have something a bit more fun for the road.

avons2.jpg

avons4.jpg

Just curious.....why did you not just buy an X model?

This is not a sarcastic question by the way. Many have

asked me why I didnt just buy the WR-F model, since

I am only running dirt and my WRR is no longer street

legal. My reasons had a lot to do with the R being EFI.

So Im wondering why you chose the R instead of the X.

Later.

Beautiful bike, DNFDOUG! Seeing those tires on an R makes me wish I had waited for the Rs to show up. That's just about perfect!👍

I'm into week 5 waiting on my rear 150/60R17 Distanzia to show up. The front was in in one weeks. I took the Yamaha dealer's parts manager a cupcake with a candle to celebrate after one month, as a gentle reminder. :worthy:

Again, great looking machine!

/dh

BTW....just like Hermit said.....

Great looking bike. Youve done a good job with it.

Doesnt look like all the others, and Im always a fan

of having something a bit unique from everyone else.

Oh, and you might have just given me a reason

to buy a new 2009 KX450 with EFI. Then I would

have a great track/trail bike, and a great small

bore road bike for weekly commutes. I like it.

I think your bike is lookin good DNF!

We've got a lot of twisty backroads around these parts you need

to ride in order to get to the dirt and though riding them on the R in

in full dirt mode is fun and doable, just going out for a long afternoon

ride with a set of tires like that on would be a blast in itself!

The county here is in the process of resurfacing a whole bunch of

roads in the unicorporated areas with fresh gravel. I turned onto

a street not far from home last week and found myself in fresh

gravel 3"-4" deep. Started rolling on the throttle and broke the rear

606 loose and was headed up the street flat track style just shifting

up through the gears. I looked back over my shoulder and saw

I was throwing up a gravel roost for a good 60' behind the bike!!!👍

Thank the lord some yuppie in his Mercedes or Beemer wasn't following

me or I'd have been buying a new windshield and paint job!:worthy:

I think your bike is lookin good DNF!

We've got a lot of twisty backroads around these parts you need

to ride in order to get to the dirt and though riding them on the R in

in full dirt mode is fun and doable, just going out for a long afternoon

ride with a set of tires like that on would be a blast in itself!

The county here is in the process of resurfacing a whole bunch of

roads in the unicorporated areas with fresh gravel. I turned onto

a street not far from home last week and found myself in fresh

gravel 3"-4" deep. Started rolling on the throttle and broke the rear

606 loose and was headed up the street flat track style just shifting

up through the gears. I looked back over my shoulder and saw

I was throwing up a gravel roost for a good 60' behind the bike!!!👍

Thank the lord some yuppie in his Mercedes or Beemer wasn't following

me or I'd have been buying a new windshield and paint job!:busted:

Oh now Cmon........You know it was only a 58' gravel roost.....:blah:

Gotta agree with you, looks like fun to ride. Im really itchin to turn

my bike back into street legal so I can ride to work every day. I

can get to work-lunch-and back home for about 10 dollars per

month with this bike. Why not just have the R like this set up, and

have a 450 EFI for the track/trails.......Oh yeah. I think the wife

is going to ban me from the forum if I keep it up.:worthy:

Doing stuff like riding up to the local supermarket and finding the

whole parking lot full and just hopping up on the sidewalk and

parking your WR right in front of the door is pretty cool too!!!👍

Why not just have the R like this set up, and

have a 450 EFI for the track/trails.......Oh yeah. I think the wife

is going to ban me from the forum if I keep it up.👍

*We* didn't say you needed a new 450. You can't leave us. Put your wife on here, and we'll give her the straight story. She won't ban the forum, she might banish you:worthy:

You sound set on getting the R road-legal again. Please let us in on it as you go. i love pics:)

/dh

DNFDOUG, where did you order thoes from and how much? Please? Thats exactly what I was looking to do. a set of knobies for the dirt(for me spring and fall) and a set of what you got for mid summer. Shake things up a little.

Looking great!

Thanks for the Kudos on the bike. I am still waiting on a bunch of stuff to arrive, and I thought World of Warcraft was out of control.

I am waiting on the rest of the graphics to be completed so that the headlight, fenders, and numberplates will look trick. I plan on going with black numberplates and rear fender to give the bike a hybrid look. I am going to grind off the toolkit tabs and the leftover tabs from the subframe and powdercoat it black. I think it will look totaly trick. Look closely at the kickstand, the goofy tab for the kill switch is gone, which is a big improvement.

Do like me and buy the wife a WR so she can't bitch. Until recently she would always pull out her R6, because she was not happy about the headshake until I cured it on her bike. Now she loves the WR.

So, why did I buy the R model?

When I ride off-road, I ride at an insane pace, so suspensionwise the R was the choice. I want a spare Supermoto wheelset so that I can do a quick swap. My brother has 2 CRF250's and I have been borrowing one of them for the weekend rides until now.

The R is better suited for me to throw in the truck and take to the Superbike races as a pit type bike for the weekend. We do weekend camping dirt rides, also. I have found myself doing 80% street and 20% off-road, but wanted the suspension easily dialed for off-road. I am a motocross / hare scrambles guy by nature, so I had to lean towards the R.

Swapping stuff in a hurry is second nature to me from tearing down race bikes constantly, but working on 2 of them is a chore.

Not thinking, I blew down the dirt side of the road in Cades Cove (Smokey Mountain National Park) to pass 3 idiots that would not pull over to the side to let traffic buy and sprayed them all down including a cyclist. I wasn't even thinking about the roost. My wife said that they were all freeking out as I went buy. She always knows to catch up later when I pull stupid stunts like that, but they were all bitching to her at the stop. I felt bad, so I guess I will have to contain myself for the good of the overall community.

I owe all the mods to this site as the result of tirelessly searching the internet for stuff.

BTW: gonna get a FMF premium packing kit and Powercore 4 quiet down kit. That pipe is way too loud, and I wear ear protection.

DNFDOUG, where did you order thoes from and how much? Please? Thats exactly what I was looking to do. a set of knobies for the dirt(for me spring and fall) and a set of what you got for mid summer. Shake things up a little.

Looking great!

Motorcycle Superstore, and got them in a week. I have to buy 2 of everything. I should have gotten her flowers instead.

AM43 Distanzia Dual-Sport Front Tire

Color - --, Size - 90/90H-21

SKU# 43737 Shipped $87.99 1 $87.99

AM43 Distanzia Dual-Sport Front Tire

Color - --, Size - 90/90H-21

SKU# 43737 Shipped $87.99 1 $87.99

AM44 Distanzia Rear Tire

Color - --, Size - 120/80S-18

SKU# 43816 Shipped $92.99 1 $92.99

AM44 Distanzia Rear Tire

Color - --, Size - 120/80S-18

SKU# 43816 Shipped $92.99 1 $92.99

I did the same thing to my kickstand switch and bracket.

Much better.

I am thinking of doing this but I am not sure if there is any way that one could get those on a second set of rims? What is the best way to go about having a set of dirt and a set of street wheels with this bike? I have seen the thread that creamcheese is going through and putting street tires on an R and Dirt tires on an X but it seems he is modifying the brakes and everything to get that done. Couldnt you just get a set of the same rims and put 2 different sets without messing with all the brake stuff?

I am thinking of doing this but I am not sure if there is any way that one could get those on a second set of rims? What is the best way to go about having a set of dirt and a set of street wheels with this bike? I have seen the thread that creamcheese is going through and putting street tires on an R and Dirt tires on an X but it seems he is modifying the brakes and everything to get that done. Couldnt you just get a set of the same rims and put 2 different sets without messing with all the brake stuff?

Yes, If you start with the R it is easy (in theory, getting parts may take a while).

Have R, want same size (18" and 21") wheels:

- Get R/X rear hub and disc, R spokes and rim.

- Get R front hub and disc, R spokes and rim.

- Assemble wheels / have assembled.

- Mount tires.

(All Yamaha or straight replacement stuff, everything the same except tires.)

Have R, want 17" rear and 17" or 19" front:

- Get X/R rear hub and disc, X spokes and rim.

- Get R front hub and disc, aftermarket spokes and rim.

- Assemble wheels / have assembled.

- Mount tires.

What would really be interesting is if someone went to the trouble to find inexpensive cast aluminum wheels from some sportbike to use for SM wheels for the R.

Have X, want 18" and 21" wheels:

- Get rear R/X hub, R spokes and rim.

- Get front R hub, disc, spokes and rim. (for 21" front)

- Get front R hub and disc. Get aftermarket spokes and rim. (for 17" front).

- Get R front master cylinder and caliper.

- Assemble wheels / have assembled. Replace X master cylinder and caliper.

- Mount tires.

"Easy".

I changed the tires on my wife's bike this morning and it took me a total of 50 minutes. The Zip Ty Racing tire changer and 3 spoons did the trick. So I know that I can change both bikes back to Knobbies in one hour 40 minutes. The best instruction of tire changing is on youtube.

Sorry I'm a n00b to these forums and sorry to dig up an old thread... been debating on a bunch of different models... but just to clarify, you slapped on the Distanzias on the stock R rims without any problems?

If i was to buy an R, I could buy an extra set of wheels using the stock sprocket/discs and swap them back and forth depending on what type of riding i'd want to do?

This would sound like a better option, because like you i would be splitting dirt/road and need a decent dual-sport and I don't want the dated DRZ400SM either.

Sorry I'm a n00b to these forums and sorry to dig up an old thread... been debating on a bunch of different models... but just to clarify, you slapped on the Distanzias on the stock R rims without any problems?

If i was to buy an R, I could buy an extra set of wheels using the stock sprocket/discs and swap them back and forth depending on what type of riding i'd want to do?

This would sound like a better option, because like you i would be splitting dirt/road and need a decent dual-sport and I don't want the dated DRZ400SM either.

Avon makes a few Distanzias that fit the WR250R stock wheels (1.60x21, 2.15x18):

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/?page=tyres&method=showspecs&id=20

You can buy an extra set of wheels and keep the Distanzias mounted on them. You will want to also buy front and rear brake discs and a rear sprocket for the extra wheels if you swap wheels often. It is not clear to me from what you wrote that is what you had in mind - it's no problem, just some more $.

Avon makes a few Distanzias that fit the WR250R stock wheels (1.60x21, 2.15x18):

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/?page=tyres&method=showspecs&id=20

You can buy an extra set of wheels and keep the Distanzias mounted on them. You will want to also buy front and rear brake discs and a rear sprocket for the extra wheels if you swap wheels often. It is not clear to me from what you wrote that is what you had in mind - it's no problem, just some more $.

Ya sorry if i wasn't clear. That's exactly what I was wondering, thanks for clearing that up.

So if one was to buy the rubber, wheels, discs, and sprocket... how much would that run me?

Ya sorry if i wasn't clear. That's exactly what I was wondering, thanks for clearing that up.

So if one was to buy the rubber, wheels, discs, and sprocket... how much would that run me?

A lot:D. You can look up all the prices on the TT store, including the Yamaha parts, since it now has the WR250R/X parts fiche.