Sign in to follow this  

Hitch mounted motorcycle rack with travel trailer

I am trying to figure out a way to haul the toys and family (and all the other junk) with an 06 Dodge 3/4 ton and leave the canopy on (asking for alot I know).

Any way, one of my ideas was to use a hitch mounted rack and then hook the trailer to that (18 foot Fleetwood). Looking at the VersaHaul, they indicate a maximum of 3000 lbs to be towed behind their rack. I can also (probably) get away with putting a hitch on the back of the trailer to carry one of the bikes

Ideally I need to carry a WR400, CR 125, Trail 90 and a small quad.

Has anyone come up with a solution for this problem (other than going into debt forever on an actual toy hauler)?

My idea (at least at the moment) would be to fabricate additional mounting points on the frame for the hitch carrier on the back of the truck, putting the quad in the bed (it fits under the canopy) and the Trail 90 on the front of the truck.

My other thought is that maybe I am crazy and need start saving my lunch money for a toy hauler......

Thanks,

Rob

I gave up on that idea several months ago, but what I was considering was using a super hitch. This has a double over and under receiver. It will allow a 4 foot long extension to clear a camper and still tow a 7000 pound boat. Chains are used to prevent it from shifting sideways. I figured 18 to 24 inches of extension would be enough.

I was going to buy something like the Versahaul and keep only the ramp part and attach it to the extension.

I wrote to the MFG to propose my idea, and they agreed with me that it was overkill, since I only wanted to carry the WR.

The MFG pointed out that they do not make one for my Chevy Silverado 1500HD, because the frame in the 1500HD is a little lighter than the frame of the 2500HD and it will not distribute the weight enough to meet their safety standards.

I could revisit it as of 4 hours ago when we closed the deal on a 2008 GMC Sierra crew cab 2500HD long bed 4wd. I now have a bigger frame.

What we actually did was I bought an ATV trailer. I put one motorcycle in the bed of th 1500HD and tow the camping trailer (Trailmanor). I use the 97 Dodge Dakota v6 to carry the other motorcycle in the bed and tow the ATV trailer with two ATVs.

I am replacing the Dakota, so I now have two big trucks. The full explanation as to my strategy is beyond the scope of this thread, but I would be happy to share my if anyone is interested. Perhaps in a new thread.

I am trying to figure out a way to haul the toys and family (and all the other junk) with an 06 Dodge 3/4 ton and leave the canopy on (asking for alot I know).

Any way, one of my ideas was to use a hitch mounted rack and then hook the trailer to that (18 foot Fleetwood). Looking at the VersaHaul, they indicate a maximum of 3000 lbs to be towed behind their rack. I can also (probably) get away with putting a hitch on the back of the trailer to carry one of the bikes

Ideally I need to carry a WR400, CR 125, Trail 90 and a small quad.

Has anyone come up with a solution for this problem (other than going into debt forever on an actual toy hauler)?

My idea (at least at the moment) would be to fabricate additional mounting points on the frame for the hitch carrier on the back of the truck, putting the quad in the bed (it fits under the canopy) and the Trail 90 on the front of the truck.

My other thought is that maybe I am crazy and need start saving my lunch money for a toy hauler......

Thanks,

Rob

The answer lies within your question:

ooking at the VersaHaul, they indicate a maximum of 3000 lbs to be towed behind their rack.

Your trailer exceeds this weight.

An idea for you-have you thought about fabricating racks front and rear of the trailer to haul the motorcycles?

This guy did it https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414133

But with larger bikes, IDK about a double off the rear......

Maybe with some fabrication work you could extend the rear and front frames of the TT to provide enough room for one bike up front, and two in the rear? That's the route I would take before doing the hitch hauler/extension combo and putting a bike on the front. A bike out front will restrict airflow, and while your engine's cooling system may be able to handle it, your transmission may not let you know it's not happy before it goes on strike.

If your Dodge is a 4wd- no problem running a biken the front with a frame mounted receiver and bike hauler.

My buddy runs 1 small bike on the front, one 450 on the back and flat tows his Samurai with a Dodge Dually 4wd and a 9.5 ft Lance camper.

I put a bike rail on the front of my Trail-lite travel trailer- similar to the photo from chickenhauler. I also run a rack on the back for balance.

You need to balance the weight for the proper tongue weight 10-15% and make sure you are not overloading the trailer axles and tires.

You can do it- you just need to get creative.

I fabbed a rack to go on the back of a 27' Prowler. It caused a lot of sway issues because the water tank was in the rear of the trailer. If you do this you will need to work with your EQ hitch to get the tongue weight correct to avoid swaying. I scared the shit outta myself before I got it figured out and it meant carrying no water with the bike out back.

It looks like my best bet is going to be put a rack on the front and one on the back. The only problem with doing that is moving the propane tanks. Anyone have any advice on that one? I am pretty sure I can put a new door in the front that will open up under the folding couch (sort of dead storage space anyway) build a box, seal it then lay the tanks on their side.

You can not lay propane tanks on their sides. You would need to replace your current vertical tanks with horizontal tanks.

Maybe fashion a rack where they can be stored securely in the truck bed?

Or even a location where they can be stored upright inside the trailer in the aisle-it's not like they're going to be there when you camp, just for transport.

Thanks, I did not know there was a difference between horizontal and vertical tanks.

Also, some horizontal tanks must b vertical to fill while other must be horizontal to fill. If you install horizontal tanks and you want to be able to refill them without removing them, then you want tanks that can be refilled horizontally.

It looks like my best bet is going to be put a rack on the front and one on the back. The only problem with doing that is moving the propane tanks. Anyone have any advice on that one? I am pretty sure I can put a new door in the front that will open up under the folding couch (sort of dead storage space anyway) build a box, seal it then lay the tanks on their side.

Why not just remove the canopy (tonneau cover) instead? An awful lot of owrk and expense on something you'll probably be doing once in a while!

Why not just remove the canopy (tonneau cover) instead? An awful lot of owrk and expense on something you'll probably be doing once in a while!

WA gets rain....and lots of it.

Probably wants to be able to haul tools or materials all week long and keep them dry.

I try not to remove my topper-the gasket never seals right again, they're a heavy PITA to swap on/off, and it's nice to be able to lock stuff up out of the elements.

WA gets rain....and lots of it.

Probably wants to be able to haul tools or materials all week long and keep them dry.

I try not to remove my topper-the gasket never seals right again, they're a heavy PITA to swap on/off, and it's nice to be able to lock stuff up out of the elements.

If it's the type I'm thinking, it should be on 2 "hinges" easily removable by 2 guys with no seals involved. Unless it's a shell (topper) then that's a different story!

If it's the type I'm thinking, it should be on 2 "hinges" easily removable by 2 guys with no seals involved. Unless it's a shell (topper) then that's a different story!

He did say he intends to put the ATV under it...so it's probably a hardshell topper.

I had a similar problem, I have a jayco 10y baja popup( the kind with a front cargo deck) I bought a topper for my pickup and had to haul all five bikes on the jayco. I had frame rail extensions fabbed and a reciever added to the back of the trailer to carry one bike on a hitch type carrier, I then fabbed a raised bike carier rail over my propane tanks for one of the minis, I do not have a balance problem, I do not carry a bike on the rear unless the front deck is already loaded, you might consider extending the tongue enough to mount a rail type carier for a full size bike above the tanks, I have seen shorter propane tanks that would make this easier an some specialty stores.

Okay, I gave up on the hitch idea and my trailer tongue is just not long enough without doing some major reconstruction. So I decided to go a different route and built some rails to put he the bikes on. Now I am able to get two bikes and two quads in the back of the my short-box Dodge and still keep the tailgate on.

mattawa_3-25-09005.jpg

mattawa_3-25-09001.jpg

mattawa_3-25-09003.jpg

Cr on front hitch of truck. Trail 90 and small quad in bed. Bigger bike mounted on trailer where the weight will be properly distributed.