Sign in to follow this  

Undercoat trailer floor??

Just got my new 5x8 homesteader trailer.. Like everyone else... trying to decide on what way to go on the floor!!! Looking for something that will look good and is cheap!! I am prob going to paint it with porch and deck paint... But I read somewhere online that spray on ruberized auto undercoat that you can get from any auto parts store is good to use???? Anyone tried this?? and if so should I primer the wood first??

thanks in advanced

Just got my new 5x8 homesteader trailer.. Like everyone else... trying to decide on what way to go on the floor!!! Looking for something that will look good and is cheap!! I am prob going to paint it with porch and deck paint... But I read somewhere online that spray on ruberized auto undercoat that you can get from any auto parts store is good to use???? Anyone tried this?? and if so should I primer the wood first??

thanks in advanced

That undercoating is heavy. I'd use a smoke grayish colored paint. One that is durable. This will keep it bright inside too. I just left mine natual wood and sealed it all with Thompsons sealer.

I just went thru this situation exactly and here`s what I did and it worked out great.I went to the local hardware,fleetfarm,menards,homedepot etc, and bought 1 gallon of light gray oil based paint and added 1 small bag of anti-slip material into the can, while mixing.I spread it on with a roller and don`t be shy the more the better and let it dry for about a week!!!!! The guy`s at the hardware stores said that the undercoating stuff will work but will begin to crack and lift because of the moving and twisting of the wood it`s self and this is much more easier on the wallet and I can always just give it a new coat when needed. Works great for me!!!

Good luck

Covered mine with roll on truck bed liner. The urethane coating is made to remain flexible even when exposed to the elements. Much tougher and thicker than paint. The rubber bits make it very non-skid.

I used 2 coats of Behr latex floor & porch paint.(not gloss) We sleep in the trailer as well so the other coating stuff was out. before 133-3338_IMG.jpg after133-3399_IMG.jpg It's holding up quite well.

I used 2 coats of Behr latex floor & porch paint.(not gloss) We sleep in the trailer as well so the other coating stuff was out.

JB Racing, that is the exact look I like!👍 Looks real nice. Did you add any traction sand on the floor?:worthy:

I used a garage paint from Lowes on mine. It will resist gas, oil and junk better. I think it was a 1 part epoxy. I used sand in the paint for the ramp only.

I tried adding some sand in the paint.I did the flip down part of the ramp first to see. I wasn't happy with the way it came out so I passed on doing the main part. The sand came off too easy. I will add some skateboard grip tape....soon. It even comes in clear & in big 12" wide rolls.

I used a wide brush to do the whole floor & glad I did. A roller would have been too much of a Hollywood production.

Wal Mart sells a gritted outdoor paint that I put in my trailer. It has held up 2 summers and moving 3 families so far and not even one chip/scratch!

I don't remember the brand or the name of it, but it is very light gray and does very well with oil and other chemicals.

How much would you be willing to pay to have a professional bed liner spray applied to your trailer floor if that was the route you were going to choose?