Sign in to follow this  

Dirt tires for SM rims?

Anybody have any suggestions besides the Maxxis fat DOT nobbies for SM rims that are DOT? Anyone use the Kenda 270 on SM rims? Just trying to find the best option as I have the maxxis but the rear is wearing thin quick.

Anybody have any suggestions besides the Maxxis fat DOT nobbies for SM rims that are DOT? Anyone use the Kenda 270 on SM rims? Just trying to find the best option as I have the maxxis but the rear is wearing thin quick.

Not sure about that, but I'd consider trading my s wheels for your SM wheels.

That would open up your tire choices quite a bit and since I rarely leave the road work out for me too.

Currently have d-wings and the rear is getting pretty worn.

Dig the avatar by the way!

aney DOT off road tire will ware out quick

so try what ever tire you like

if you disslike it you only have to use it for a short time

PS never give up your SM wheels --- in the past year of reading TT 3 guys did just that and with in the year they ware buyingSM wheels becouse they missed it

I am looking at the Metzeler Karoo for the sm wheels. They are designed for the heavier BMW bikes, but anything is better than the stock Dunlops for offroad.

I am looking at the Metzeler Karoo for the sm wheels. They are designed for the heavier BMW bikes, but anything is better than the stock Dunlops for offroad.

Just wanted to update this thread, I installed these in early September. DSC02489.jpg

Wow that thing looks mean. I know you posted this a while ago but im curious....how long did the tires last? do you still have them on now 4+ months later?

I have never tried, but I read that IRC GP1 are better than the Kenda 270 (same tread design). They come in inch sizes though and I am confused about the match to our rims.

I think the rear 4.25 wheel works with the widest (5.10-17), but I do not know what to put on the front. I do not want to have the rim stick out and get dinged on rocks. Would a 3.5 fit that 3.5 rim or do I have to go 4.60 ?

[edit]I think I can answer my own question: SM rear tire is 140, 140mm is 5.5" so a 5.1 should work. SM front tire is 120mm which is 4.7" so a 4.6 is about the same width. Only question that remains is whether the knobs that extend sideways will have enough clearance with those sizes.

There's also the issue that those sizes are a tall (90-100 ?) profile which will make the bike taller, and that is a problem 👍

Not sure if they OP is still around, but whatever anybody does don't get a k270 front tire, it sucks balls in the dirt! NO braking power in the dirt, steer away from these things. The rear is great though:thumbsup:

Wow that thing looks mean. I know you posted this a while ago but im curious....how long did the tires last? do you still have them on now 4+ months later?

They are still on the bike, I am looking for a decent 21/18 set up, for now the 17s will do. The karoo 2 is a very rugged tire. Very little wear from street or dirt riding.

I ran Pirelli MT21's, very sticky on the street (for a knobby) and great offroad. Got 1300miles out of the rear, was down to 1/4 inch tread, front is still in great shape although sharkfinned in the middle from wheelies and stoppies. Pirellis seem pretty cheap for what you get...👍

Just wanted to update this thread, I installed these in early September. DSC02489.jpg

^^^ That looks badass 👍 I think those will be my next tires

How are they holding out on the pavement?

That thing looks crazy with those tires on it. How does it turn in the dirt with such a wide front tire?

I ran Pirelli MT21's, very sticky on the street (for a knobby) and great offroad. Got 1300miles out of the rear, was down to 1/4 inch tread, front is still in great shape although sharkfinned in the middle from wheelies and stoppies. Pirellis seem pretty cheap for what you get...👍

I thought that for knobbies that the MT21's did great on the street.

That thing looks crazy with those tires on it. How does it turn in the dirt with such a wide front tire?

The large front takes some getting used to, steering is a little labored because it's also heavier than a 21" set up. I love it, it is very stable in loose sand as well as hard pack clay. So far they are wearing very little, only a slight hum while on pavement.

Debi, that post was from back in the day when I put knobbies on my SM rims. Now I only roll the S wheels. I need to get my SM tires back on the SM wheels.