Sign in to follow this  

XRs Only Cooling fins--Think about it.

Hi TT Air cooled owners:

I started a new thread to get away from the other XRs Only threads where people are unhappy with their stocking situation. I will get to that later.

To my knowledge, XRs only is the only source of the extra cooling fin kits. These work great and attack the heat right at the source. This is vital for the BRP with any performance adders. I can't find it listed on their website anymore, but I recall they cost about $300 and it is well worth it.

These bikes are woefully undercooled even in stock form. Honda should have put a big oil cooler on it like Suzuki did the DR650. I suggest you all consider it before they become unavailable. The bikes on this forum are obsolete, even if technically, Honda is still selling the L (probably moving leftover part stock). I also like the look of the extra fins. It reminds me of the old Rotax 750 engine. I can't image that the big air cooled engines will ever be back. I would guess even Buell will dump the Harely engine for the water-cooled Rotax in the near future.

XRs Only has had a lot of problems acting like they are a motorcycle superstore. Their specialty started in reliable off-road mods and that is where they excell. Be prepared to be patient to get the good stuff. The rest of it you can buy anywhere.

I just returned a pipe that came apart. They replaced it no problem--and the pipe was purchased by the original owner two years ago. Their heart is in the right place. The owner welds the pipes himself!

The TT guys need to do what they can to support XRs Only. Who else has an entire business named after our bike?

Joe

• Like 1

You make some good points, but I'd like to be the first (of many probably) that will point out that you are using Thumper Talk (who is also a parts supplier/dealer) to tell us that we need to support XRs Only. No offense intended whatsoever, I own a 650L and have taken interest in the many comments about XRs Only here on TT. I appreciate your clarifications on what is best to expect from them. Every business has it's strenghts and weaknesses...so it's nice to know what to expect.

Recently I've been putting a lot of thought into making some sort of investment to help deal with the engine heat "issue". I have a Trail Tech Vapor computer and now I see the temp. numbers while I ride - my bike especially runs hot on tight trails (we have lots of those around here). I've also looked around for those extra fins, but can't locate them. Any idea where to get them...does XRs sell them?? $300 sure seems steep for some extra finnage (is that a word? lol).

Eric

For what they have to do $300 is not expensive for those big fins. It's maybe $25 of aluminum and the rest is all labor of welding them on one at a time.

These bikes are woefully undercooled even in stock form. Honda should have put a big oil cooler on it like Suzuki did the DR650. I suggest you all consider it before they become unavailable. The bikes on this forum are obsolete, even if technically, Honda is still selling the L (probably moving leftover part stock). Joe

...the L runs fairly cool for an airhead if jetted and geared properly.

yeah, an oil cooler wud be nice but not needed before overbore...i wudn't even consider the fins over and oil cool...but that's just me.

...Honda will sell these L's until air regs force changes...these bikes are far from obsolete:excuseme: ...it's been reported that very few 08's are even available(Sold Out)...but definately not "state of the art"

👍

XRs Only has had a lot of problems acting like they are a motorcycle superstore. Their specialty started in reliable off-road mods and that is where they excell. Be prepared to be patient to get the good stuff. The rest of it you can buy anywhere.

I asked a question along these lines in one of the anti XR's Only threads because I haven't had any dealings with them yet. Is the problem isolated to the retail sales and the service department is fine? I haven't seen any complaints about the quality of work they do nor anything on turnaround.

It seems harder and harder to find good shops that can do cranks and heads, so I will probably take/send my parts to them when the time comes. If head needs some work, I will probably spring for the fin extensions. They have been on my To Do list since I got my 600.

Hi TT Air cooled owners:

....These bikes are woefully undercooled even in stock form. Honda should have put a big oil cooler on it like Suzuki did the DR650. I suggest you all consider it before they become unavailable. The bikes on this forum are obsolete, even if technically, Honda is still selling the L (probably moving leftover part stock)....

Joe

Woefully undercooled? My rejetted '06 has no heat problems what-so-ever. My stock '94 ran for over 8 years and 20,000 miles with no heat related failures either. 👍 Or any other failures for that matter. And believe me - I PUNISHED that bike on street and trail in temps from 20 to 110 degrees. My '06 was in the desert earlier this month and it was 115 degrees in the shade.

Big oil cooler like the DR? My two XR650L's have survived SEVERAL crashes that would have totally destroyed the oil cooler of a DR - leaving me stranded AND costing me big bucks. Ride enough in the dirt and you WILL crash. I say Honda left them off for a reason and I would like to thank them for it.

Leftover stock? Obsolete? Until a few years ago you could still buy new CT70's from Honda. I think they specialize in building bikes right the 1st time and leaving them in production for decades because they work well, last like no other, and sell good because of it.

By the way.... I saw about $1,500.00 worth of radiator damage take place on water-cooled bikes the last time I went on a serious off-road group ride. :worthy:

I'll take the antique XRL, thanks.

I have never used XR's Only and therefore can't enter that debate with first hand experience, but I have owned and ridden XR650L's since 1994 and am CERTAINLY qualified to vouch for it.

the only person i've ever seen break a radiator was too short to keep his bike from falling over.

Woefully undercooled? My rejetted '06 has no heat problems what-so-ever. My stock '94 ran for over 8 years and 20,000 miles with no heat related failures either. 👍 Or any other failures for that matter. And believe me - I PUNISHED that bike on street and trail in temps from 20 to 110 degrees. My '06 was in the desert earlier this month and it was 115 degrees in the shade.

Big oil cooler like the DR? My two XR650L's have survived SEVERAL crashes that would have totally destroyed the oil cooler of a DR - leaving me stranded AND costing me big bucks. Ride enough in the dirt and you WILL crash. I say Honda left them off for a reason and I would like to thank them for it.

Leftover stock? Obsolete? Until a few years ago you could still buy new CT70's from Honda. I think they specialize in building bikes right the 1st time and leaving them in production for decades because they work well, last like no other, and sell good because of it.

By the way.... I saw about $1,500.00 worth of radiator damage take place on water-cooled bikes the last time I went on a serious off-road group ride. :worthy:

I have never used XR's Only and therefore can't enter that debate with first hand experience, but I have owned and ridden XR650L's since 1994 and am CERTAINLY qualified to vouch for it.

the only person i've ever seen break a radiator was too short to keep his bike from falling over.

I've seen plenty of totaled radiators over the years. Ride enough and you will see it happen.

I think that the fin extension really only helps in the more high speed regime. I caused heat damage when riding gnarly single stack at 100+ temps. Think first gear and a lot of throttle. It's a problem with air heads. A water cooled bike will tell you with boiling over when it's getting too hot. Air cooled bikes will keep going, but there are subtle signs. In similar conditions my old XR500 would announce it's displeasure when the gas started boiling in the carb. It would stall and gas would shoot out of the vent tubes.

About 3 weeks ago I saw two dirtbikes bikes colide and destroy two of them in one whack. On the same ride I also saw two late-model dirtbikes overheat and spew most of their antifreeze onto the desert floor. Last year I saw a dirtbike just fall over onto a curb in a parking lot and destroy it's radiator.

I know it is a chance most are willing to take for the added technology and performance, but I do not believe air-cooled bikes are "woefully undercooled" and "obsolete" either. They are DESIGNED to be air-cooled and have their place - and their advantages. Call me old-fashioned, but I would rather not have a radiator (or oil cooler) to worry about and consider the lack of it on the XRL to be an asset. It is one less system that can fail and leave me stranded when I am 300 miles from home and depending on my bike to get me back.

• Like 1

I didn't say they were old technology. BMW uses oil and air to cool there bikes, some of them, and they are great powerful bikes

About 3 weeks ago I saw two dirtbikes bikes colide and destroy two of them in one whack. On the same ride I also saw two late-model dirtbikes overheat and spew most of their antifreeze onto the desert floor. Last year I saw a dirtbike just fall over onto a curb in a parking lot and destroy it's radiator.

I know it is a chance most are willing to take for the added technology and performance, but I do not believe air-cooled bikes are "woefully undercooled" and "obsolete" either. They are DESIGNED to be air-cooled and have their place - and their advantages. Call me old-fashioned, but I would rather not have a radiator (or oil cooler) to worry about and consider the lack of it on the XRL to be an asset. It is one less system that can fail and leave me stranded when I am 300 miles from home and depending on my bike to get me back.

LMAO.. Agreed, Itchykawa. There is nothing wrong with finding a GOOD design, and STICKING with it! All these liquid cooled folks aren't considering the corrosion, aging hoses, radiators, blah blah BLAH- that comes along wih it. I LOVE the fact there is a nearly 20 year spectrum that my parts are interchangable with! You won't get THAT anywhere else! I have an '08 XRL and it is the most awesome bike I have ever owned. Well engineered and I happen to LOVE the nostalgic feel of it. I have hammered mine all summer here in AR with temps well into the 100's- doin less than 5 MPH on some trails for extended periods, and not a problem! I think if Honda had any question at all about a good thing, they would have changed it or quit making it, one of the two. BTW- my XR had to be delivered from 2 states over to even GET it- so apparently they are still QUITE popular!

I didn't say they were old technology. BMW uses oil and air to cool there bikes, some of them, and they are great powerful bikes

...Not to mention the Rat's nest of wires and computer that it takes to operate the "digital fool injection" on the Bimmer- I am sure THAT will react well in the dirt and rain.. It's a problem WAITING to happen.

It is one less system that can fail and leave me stranded when I am 300 miles from home and depending on my bike to get me back.

Bingo! Give that man a cold beverage...

Do you have places like that in Alabama?

Well said Itchy! 👍

650L's were not meant to be close tolerance race machines. They were built for their bulletproof endurance, and they perform spectacularly for what they were built for. :busted:

You can tweak them and modify them and pull some more ponies out of the motors, but they will never be a high performance race machine that needs to be pampered. And they shouldn't be....I wouldn't own one if it was. :worthy:

sorry, but if they were built for bullet proof endurance.

they would say "C U M M I N S" on the side.

those engines can go under full boost for 1 month strait with the marine cam, designed for fishing boats. my buds truck is disenagrating around his 6BT

Well said Itchy! 👍

650L's were not meant to be close tolerance race machines. They were built for their bulletproof endurance, and they perform spectacularly for what they were built for. :busted:

You can tweak them and modify them and pull some more ponies out of the motors, but they will never be a high performance race machine that needs to be pampered. And they shouldn't be....I wouldn't own one if it was. :worthy:

sorry, but if they were built for bullet proof endurance.

they would say "C U M M I N S" on the side.

those engines can go under full boost for 1 month strait with the marine cam, designed for fishing boats. my buds truck is disenagrating around his 6BT

Don't quite know how to go with that one. Do they weld cooling fins on diesels? When was the last time you saw one in a bike?

Are you just trolling for controversy?

I've seen 650L's with over 50,000 miles and no rebuild and I've seen one with 10,000 miles that was ready for the junkyard.