Sign in to follow this  

250+ Hours What Should I Be Replacing Soon?

Ive got over 250 HARD hours on my 05' 450R. Everything is stock except a big gun exhaust. By hard I mean trail riding almost at the rev limiter most of the time. Been through hell and back basicly. Never been to a track though. It starts right up first kick almost everytime and still runs very strong, there is little to no power loss yet. Only problem is that it will stall out every once in a while at idle or at very low RPM's.

It still runs great so I dont want to be spending a bunch of money on it if I dont have to but this seems like a abnormaly high amount of hours without any rebuilds and the only maintence ive ever done is ocasional oil changes, brake pads and air filter cleaning. Realisticly what kind of replacement parts should I be looking at getting soon to keep it running top notch and where is the best place to get them? Should I go aftermarket or stick with stock which has proved itself to me highly. Thanks

I would say fresh piston assembly. Inspect small end of crank and side to side play while putting in piston. If you can, take apart and de carbon the head, stick in new seals, inspect valves.

It may also be a good idea to take apart the clutch and inspect it and see where its at.

Now that is what I call honda reliable. Just keep up on maintenance and it keeps going strong for you. Are you sure it is 250 hrs? Actual hours like on the meter? I guess it very well could be. I could put on up to or around or more than 125 hrs a season on my bike. I am up to 79 point something so far on the meter on my 08 CRF250R, it is ridden hard, isn't afraid to see the rev limit. But oil is always changed after every ride and air filter kept perfect.

I forgot about the cam chain... That should be def. changed.

Regularly those are changed at around 50 hr intervals.

Don't forget to add on a suspension rebuild. Fresh fluid and inspection of all internal parts. Fluids in susp. should be changed every 40 hrs or so. -- sooner to keep performance up.

@ 250 hours, if indeed there are that many hours on the motor...you'd be crazy to not put a crank under a new top end. Id also put a very hard look in all the bearings in the trans and the same for the transmission too.

Youve obviously got a good one, but youre primed for a catastrophic failure that ends with you parting out whats left of your 4 year old bike.

I dont have a hour meter so 250 is a estimate but I would say its closer to 300. I got it used in 06 with a unknown amount of hours on it and have riden it almost everyday with many rides 4+ hours so it is definatly up there. If I am going to be needing to replace the piston, crank, clutch, valves, suspention rebuild..ect for preventative maintence would I be better off just selling it and getting another used on that has super low hours and hasent been abused? I was thinking about getting a X anyways since I only ride trails and a green sticker would be nice. I can get 05's and 06 R's only riden once or twice for about 3k and X's for about 3500 down in Southern California. I am not very good with mechanics so I would have to pay a shop to do all that work and I can see that being very expensive. I mean the bike still rips and has never left me stranded or gave me any real problems it just keeps going so its hard for me to justify spending a bunch of money on it. Thanks

If you're not into seeing the guts of the bike, you are probably correct, sell it and start over on a newer model with fewer hours (NOT BEATEN THOUGH).

The forums have a way of rattling off parts and procedures, when you get into your garage with limited tools and even more limited mechanical know how, you'll wonder why you ever even loosened the first bolt.

My buddy has over $500 into the top end of his 05, paid $3K for the whole bike just last year. If he had went deep into the bottom with new crank, bearings, etc., etc., that number would be well over $1K. Keep in mind, this is doing EVERYTHING expect the machine work on the head himself.

At $65.00 an hour, several hours of tear down, inspection, rebuild and reassembly,.........

Strip your bike of any after market goodies, sell it to someone you don't think you'll ever see again.

I'm not sure how "Hard" the hours could be really though. The manual states you should just about replace everything on the bike at 15 hours.........

i believe that's a part sales pitch:bonk:

and an almost garauntee the thing will run exactly as it did when you bought it new.

Honestly though, these things arent rocket science. If youve go the manual and some common sense, you dont need a bunch of the "special tools" they tell you youve gotta have.

I have an 05 with tons of hrs on it, guessin prob over 100 but I have no idea cuz i got it used and i dont have an hr meter. Ive brought it down to baja tho and rode it 3 times a week up here in BC. It performed perfectly with only regular oil and filter changes untill the end of a ride where it would stall out when you let off the gas and let the rpms drop. It was metal filings covering the stator from the crank (i believe cuz it was comin thru the oil flaper) while it was sittin in my garage the water pump weep started leakin and i started pullin the otherside apart and will need a waterpump shaft and seals and bearings as well as a balancershaft and bearings. So gettin to the point of why im writing this, everything major goes at about the same time so I'd count on doin everything. You dont want to do one thing and the next ride something else goes and you need to tear it apart again.

Man, you guys make me jealous with all these hours you put on your bikes! I bought my 08 last October and I've only managed to put 15 hours on it total since it was new! At least now I know at this rate it will take me several years before I need to tear it down..... the valves were out of spec after only 9 hours though.

Man, you guys make me jealous with all these hours you put on your bikes! I bought my 08 last October and I've only managed to put 15 hours on it total since it was new! At least now I know at this rate it will take me several years before I need to tear it down..... the valves were out of spec after only 9 hours though.

chances are they were out of spec from the factory..........check them again in about 10 more hours to see if they stayed put......you should be golden:thumbsup:

chances are they were out of spec from the factory..........check them again in about 10 more hours to see if they stayed put......you should be golden:thumbsup:

That is what I was hoping. I suppose I should have checked them after the first hour or so. All 4 were tight, the exhaust valves were only .001 out of tolerance but the intakes were .002-.0025

I would hope they weren't tight enough on the intake side (being .002 out) to do any damage before I caught it. The bike sure seems to start easier now that the valves are in spec. Strange that the little amount they were off could effect starting.

best bet is to set them at .005 intake and .009 exhaust......i did that when new and they have not moved one bit!!!!........read the stickey above to expalin why a tad tighter than spec is recommended

I have an 05 with tons of hrs on it, guessin prob over 100 but I have no idea cuz i got it used and i dont have an hr meter. Ive brought it down to baja tho and rode it 3 times a week up here in BC. It performed perfectly with only regular oil and filter changes untill the end of a ride where it would stall out when you let off the gas and let the rpms drop. It was metal filings covering the stator from the crank (i believe cuz it was comin thru the oil flaper) while it was sittin in my garage the water pump weep started leakin and i started pullin the otherside apart and will need a waterpump shaft and seals and bearings as well as a balancershaft and bearings. So gettin to the point of why im writing this, everything major goes at about the same time so I'd count on doin everything. You dont want to do one thing and the next ride something else goes and you need to tear it apart again.

What do ya know, after I post this I start having problems haha. Mine does the same thing yours did. When I let off the gas it just dies and wont idle. I am bringing it in to get the valves adjusted tomorrow as im sure they are getting tight finnally. Hopfully its just that.

I would recommemend getting an hourmeter after the rebuild so you can start accurately keeping track of the runtime.

I have not checked mine once on my 08- 30 hours. As long as it fires 1st or second kick and pulls holeshots, why do it?

Just got the valves adjusted, they were way out of spec but that was expected. Runs killer now, time to go ride 👍